SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
compumom_gw

Bluberry Puzzle

compumom
11 years ago

Seeking answers to an odd question. Why would organic blueberries make me feel inflamed and irritated while the previous batch of non-organic berries did not?

I've been overdoing it on fruit this summer without too much issue. These past two weeks I've binged on cherries (which previously bothered me), raspberries and blueberries, all without many overt symptoms. Yet when I bought this batch of organic berries at TJ's and had some yesterday, I sensed a bit of a reaction. This morning I felt pretty good and wanted a snack. I grabbed a handful of berries, washed them and munched. Almost immediately I felt my body react.

What could occurred that would have provoked a reaction? Chemicals weren't at play, so why do you think my body is antagonized?

Comments (20)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Could the seller of those "organic" berries have lied?

• compumom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Possibly, but I did have a notable reaction(for me it's a swelling or inflammatory response)in the past couple of years when I enjoyed blueberries in restaurants or other dining situations.
    Just this summer it seemed like I was tolerating them more.

I did read something recently (was it here?) that mentioned that "organic" products aren't well regulated.

• ynnej
    11 years ago

Strange- my understanding was that organic products are heavily regulated, so much so that farmers would prefer to go the non-organic route to spare themselves the trouble.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Organic does not mean they have not been sprayed.

They could have been sprayed with organic pesticides which you are allergic to.

I may be wrong, copper sulfate is considered organic, for instance.

dcarch

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

Organic means that they haven't been sprayed with pesticides but it also means that insects can eat or lay their eggs or larvae in unsprayed produce at will. Organic doesn't mean free from the pests that non-organic produce is sprayed to inhibit.

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

Oops, I meant to say non-organic pesticides. Around here, most organically marketed products are not sprayed at all.

• lindac
    11 years ago

You also may have overloaded your system. The allergic response is a little like filling a glass with water....or milk....or juice. You can add a small amount of an allergin and you have no reaction.....so you may add a small amount of another....but finally your glass will be full and overflow.....and that's when you get the reaction (as my allergist explained to me)....and while the cherries didn't bother you....nor the raspberries.....the blueberries put your immune response over the top...made the glass over flow and you got a reaction from them.

• compumom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point, the almonds I had for lunch during jury duty didn't help either...

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm old school about picnics and think cold fried chicken (or fingers) is perfect.

11 years ago

I use neem oil, garlic extract, compost tea, Serenade, Insecticidal Soap, Daconil and a few others for organic spray.

The following are some of the permitted organic sprays:

"---Sulfur and copper are the disease control materials most applied on organic farms.
    Elemental sulfur may be used for a broad range of diseases in a wide variety of plants.
    Copper products must be applied in a way that minimizes copper accumulation in the
    soil. Among the copper products allowed are copper sulfate, copper hydroxide, copper
    Can I Use this Pesticide on My Organic Farm?

octanoate, copper oxide, and copper oxychloride. Bordeaux mix (copper sulfate
    combined with hydrated lime) and lime-sulfur are also permitted.
    Hydrogen peroxide and potassium bicarbonate, two familiar substances that are relatively
    new as fungicides, are also permitted. Potassium bicarbonate may also be used for
    disease management and is used for partial control of powdery mildew in a range of
    crops. As such, it offers an alternative to sulfur.
    Growers of pome fruits whose crops are infected with fire blight can use peracetic acid,
    streptomycin (in apples and pears only), and tetracycline (oxytetracycline calcium
    complex). Antibiotic resistance is a concern, so growers with fireblight are advised to
    prune and rotate antibiotics with other tools, such as copper. Finally, narrow range oils
    may also be used for disease management.---"

dcarch

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

What is it about fruits and nuts that cause your inflammation? I am on a low acid diet to ward off chronic urinary tract inflammation, and blueberries are one of the few fruits I CAN eat. I would suspect it was a "straw that broke the camel's back" kind of thing. I wouldn't really suspect pesticides, since as far as I know blueberries aren't a heavily sprayed fruit in the first place. Not that there might be an individual case of a heavy spraying or something drifting over from othe fields nearby. So I wouldn't automatically suspect fraud, but one has to know a little bit about the farm where the berries came from to be sure. Pesticides are becoming quite ubiquitous and I see that blueberries are becoming a concern since they've been added to the Environmental Working Group's "Most Toxic" list.

I am so sorry that you have to avoid so many yummy foods! I know I cheat on my diet, but I know I can only cheat in moderation, once I get cocky and think I can go all out, it WILL catch up with me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberries and Kale Placed on Most Toxic List

• compumom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lpink and all, thanks for your thoughtful replies. Blueberries are a childhood favorite and when my allergies/intolerances made themselves known, I eschewed most foods and added back one at a time. Now I'm not as vigilant (as the scale will attest) due to my deprivation factor and desire for taste. I am more oft to challenge myself for that crunch or seasoning beyond salt, pepper or citrus. I notice that many raw fruits and veggies can cause my inflammation in my hands, knees and even below my left eye. Onions & garlic or anything in that family are definitely off the list. And while I lived on almond butter (Barney) for almost 18 months, now it's an irritant. I have discovered that I love marcona almonds and have tried raw almonds, flavored almonds (w/in reason) and some will tweak my system. Yes, even the most organic. Strawberries are a definite offender, I barely touch them now. Celery, peppers and sometimes tomatoes (cooked or raw or organic ketchup) will cause the swelling near the eye.
    It's crazy, I know, but thanks to my antihistamine- Atarax, and nose sprays, I can keep the sinus infections and stomach issues at bay.
    Off to bed now--G'night.

• sally2_gw
    11 years ago

I just wonder if there's not some variation in blueberries. Maybe whatever it is that's in blueberries that causes the inflammation varies from crop to crop, or among varieties. That's just a wild guess. I think what was said above about eating a little too much of the stuff you're sensitive to was probably the best guess.

Sally

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

Compumom I really feel for you. I have three inflammatory conditions and I'll probably add a fourth (rheumatoid arthritis) soon. I'm sure there's some genetic link, but also environment plays a role in exaccerbating things. I've fooled around with diet for many years, and experience has told me that individuals vary in their sensitivities (as you know I'm sure) so I have just tried to identify my triggers from the long list of foods to avoid. BF does the same with his gout/arthritis. But you can get blindsided too, since sometimes a food will hit you that has never hit you before, or a former direct irritant will cause you no problems. It's frustrating! But I do think it's often the case of context, and sometimes it's just a "perfect storm" scenario if you will.

The other thing is, food is not just an innanimate thing, it was once a living thing and it is always influenced by its environment too. That's why I am so into trying to buy local and getting to know and work with as many of the producers of my food as possible. There is no doubt in my mind that the health of the land is related to the health of the food is related to the health of the people who live on the land and eat the food. I struggle to keep healthy and find the good balance between living in this world and avoiding its stressors!

Blueberries do vary greatly in their chemical composition. They are a favorite fruit of mine, and I grew up right in the middle of blueberry country in MI. I've had blueberries from PA, NJ and MD, and I can tell you they can't hold a candle to MI berries. But then I've never tasted the ones from Maine, or upstate NY! The differences in the berries owing to variety, and the environmental conditions they grew in. I also have noticed differences in berry quality and flavor from farm to farm back when I used to pick my own in MI.

11 years ago

I have no knowledge of allergies, only superstitions. I have always believe that diversification in food intake will prevent allergies. I enjoy all kinds of strange foods.

I did hear an interesting piece of information sometime ago, a technique called immunotherapy. The technique is to cure allergies not by avoidance, but by very gradually increase the dosage (under a doctor's supervision) of the offending food until your body is used to the food and no longer has a reaction to it.

In addition to all kinds of "organic" sprays used for "organic" food, there can also be specific types of molds grown on blueberries. For that you may need an ultrasonic cleaner to thoroughly clean them out. Ultrasonic cleaner can also clean away non-systemic surface applied sprays.

dcarch

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

I can't add anything about the blueberries, Ellen. Sorry to hear you are having issues. Leaky gut and other digestive conditions can lead us to have sensitivities to foods we were fine with in the past. I know you are already on the alert to digestive stuff.

• compumom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm "digesting" all that's been offered and yesterday I hit on what might be another answer to the puzzle. I know that I'm sensitive to nightshade veggies, especially peppers. In doing a bit of research on nightshades, I came to discover that blueberries (and artichokes) have a similar substance that could also cause inflammation issues.
    My inflammation was terrible on Friday and Saturday am. I removed tomatoes, potatoes, diet soda (usually one can daily) and my gluten free bread and felt much better on Sunday. Monday was better still.
    Friday lunch I had a salad with chicken, avocado, double artichoke hearts, tomatoes and a diet coke. Dinner out was a pounded paillard of chicken breast, arugula and chopped tomatoes. We also shared some delicious mashed potatoes.Despite dosing with antihistamine, I felt really crummy after dinner and worse the next morning. I could barely hold the steering wheel with my sore fingers.

I'll be laying off most dairy, almonds (only nut I eat)and clearly nightshades to see if my body responds.

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Compumom, perhaps the overindulgence of fruits has your
    digestive tract in a tizzy. I'm not a doctor, but I would
    advise you to get yourself some Metamucil, (or a similar product). That will keep
    things moving through you and maybe that will help you
    avoid any problems. Hey, it can't hurt, it's just fiber.
    (always use this product either 2 hours before, or after
    taking any medications, so they have a chance to do their
    thing, before being 'moved along').

• blueberrier1
    11 years ago

Compumom, do you notice a difference between these blueberries/aka BBs, if they had been frozen prior to eating?

Several in my family cannot eat strawberries/aka STBs fresh, but enjoy them after being frozen or cooked as in a STB pie/jam. Scientific studies claim that this is due to a 'fresh' enzyme being deactivated or destroyed with freezing. So many 'secrets' of the components of our foods are just now being studied.

Am nightshade sensitive as you, but no issues with BBs, fresh in season, or from the freezer several times a week the other nine months of the year. All of my consumption is with the highbush BB varieties. I have heard some folks say they have problems with the Rabbiteye BB varieties. FYI, Maine growers tell me that all the wild BBs are heavily pesticided-except those labeled organic.

Unfortunately, many who advertise being organic are not. I am a lifelong organic grower, and prefer to eat food we do not raise to be local. Call me ultra picky, but tuning into your body' feedback should be prime.

Another comment you made re diet sodas is worth consideration. An opthomologist friend who had many patients complain about vision problems had patients report the problems disappeared with the removal of diet drinks. He said there seems to be a negative synergy with artificial sweetners and optic nerves. He preaches "eat like your grand or great grandparents."

BBs became a passion with our family when we lived 25 years in MI with the superdelicious BBs.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

If you're having allergic reaction to them, it can only get worse. If it is allergic, you really need to quit.

PHOOEY!

"Although first-time exposure may only produce a mild reaction, repeated exposures may lead to more serious reactions. Once a person has had an exposure or an allergic reaction (is sensitized), even a very limited exposure to a very small amount of allergen can trigger a severe reaction."

Here is a link that might be useful: an article from the National Institutes of Health