SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hatman52

Michael De Luca on light placement

hatman52
17 years ago

I have a book by Michael De Luca, CKD, ASID, called Kitchen and Bath Lighting Made Easy. It's a good book with loads of information. Heavy on the math and formulas, light on design, which is what I was looking for. However, he seems to have an interesting take on the placement of recessed lighting in the kitchen. He uses formulas based on the ceiling height, work surface height, light size, candlepower, and beam angle to determine where to place recessed lights. In my opinion, it works well everywhere except at the counter. He doesn't advocate placing the light at the edge of the counter, which seems to be the prevailing opinion amongst most professionals, but instead using the formula (or his software) so the edge of the beam intersects the junction of the wall and the work surface (in this case, the counter). His view is lights at the edge of the counter result in "light scallops" on the wall cabinets, and undercounter lighting should be used to fill in the counter area.

In my kitchen, with 9 foot ceilings, using a 4" recessed light with a 50w PAR 20 bulb with a 40 degree beam, that puts the lights 34" out from the wall, rather than the 25" that would put them over the edge of the counter. While that looks good on paper, in practice (my kitchen is gutted and I'm doing the work myself, so I've been playing around with placing the can lights in various positions)I find it casts a very dark and distinct shadow of me on the counter surface. I would think it would take some fairly powerful undercabinet lighting to overcome this.

Anyone here have any experience with DeLuca's books/ideas or any other thoughts on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)