SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_in_nc

Can I grow Gallicas in the South? Recommendations please!

elizabeth_in_nc
14 years ago

Last year a woman in Raleigh (North Carolina) gave me some suckers from a gorgeous rose in her garden. She identified it as Rose de Rescht. I hadn't had good luck with Portlands so I didn't expect much, but a few of the suckers rooted (they had a rough time before I could get them into a pot), and this spring they had buds. I stopped back to tell her of the success of the suckers and she told me that she had made a mistake in identification, and that the rose was really Belle de Crecy.

When I started growing roses a few years ago, I lost my heart to the Gallicas. But I live in North Carolina (z7b) and I thought I understood that Gallicas could only be grown in the North, so I (eventually) concentrated on Chinas and Teas.

Is Belle de Crecy an anomaly because of her China blood? If not, could some of the more southern Gallica growers recommend ones that do well down here (and warn me about those that don't). I live close to Raleigh and am, if anything, a bit colder in the winter.

I don't have any problem with once-bloomers; I lose my second flush to the JBs and generally I am so busy in the fall that I really can't appreciate the final flush. Besides, if only once a year I can have roses whose form and fragrance make my heart sing and that I love above all others, so be it. It is better then not having them at all.

Elizabeth

Comments (20)