SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Kitchen Renovation Advice Needed

peachymomo
12 years ago

Hello everyone, happy new year! I've been thinking about renovating my kitchen/living room for a while and I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to use the space. I'm hoping for some advice about the plan I've come up with so far, whether it needs a little tweaking or to be totally redone.

My bf and I plan on living in this house for about 5 more years before moving and turning it into a rental property. Some projects we would like to do for ourselves (like the kitchen and bathrooms) while others will wait until we move (like converting the workshop into a bedroom.) But everything will be done with the future of becoming a rental in mind. We will be doing most of the work ourselves, my bf is a professional contractor so he will be doing everything but the plumbing and electric. We will be removing a load bearing wall and installing a beam and posts.

The problems I have with the rooms as they are now are: Kitchen is small, there is not enough counter space or storage, the appliances are old, the counters are funky, the cabinets are unattractive, and I don't like the tile floor. The living room is okay except for the ugly fireplace and the lack of entertainment system storage.

My wishlist: more functional layout, new appliances, a dishwasher, cork or wood floor instead of tile, quartz counter-tops, a peninsula or island with a bar on the living room/dining room side, remove the wall separating the two rooms for better flow from one room to the other, make the fireplace look better, and add built-in storage for both entertainment stuff and cookbooks/kitchen stuff on the fireplace wall.

Here are some plans I drew and some pictures of the space:

House as is:

Reno Plan:

Wall Separating Kitchen from Living Room:

Kitchen:

Kitchen:

Living Room:

Comments (12)

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

Changing the opening to go into the living room instead of the dining room will make furniture placement in the living room very difficult. The traffic pattern will go right through the best spots for seating, which you should have placed to take advantage of the fireplace. in fact, your living room will essentially become a hallway. Also, you'll have to carry everything from the kitchen to the dining room THROUGH the living room -- unless you plan to stay in the kitchen and serve using the pass-through like a short-order cook. Keep the galley lay-out.

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

5 yrs goes fast-what is your budget for this. I'd eliminate wall ovens and try to use that corner for something. Get a range/think about microwave above, new frig/dishwasher-do a matching appliance package. Guess the cabs need replacing-hard to see how they can stay. Get updated lighting. That's plenty to do:you sure you want to mess with walls? don't see a net gain by making liv room a pass thru as Chi stated.

• Related Discussions

renovating kitchen under strata - need some advice

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi guys, We are planning on renovating our kitchen and decided to demolish our laundry nook. We can’t demolish it completely due to some pipe work, but it’s not a problem, it will still work well. But there is a small issue. We live in a townhouse and any change to the layout needs to be reported and receive approval from the body corporate. Not sure how different places work, but our is…. Let’s just say slow. So to speed up everything, I want to present them with certificate from a builder saying that this wall is safe to be removed. Does anyone know how much it might cost and who do I need? Should I seek for a structural engineer or will a builder be enough? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Extra points if you can recommend somebody. We live in Sutherland Shire NSW.
    ...See More

Kitchen and bathroom renovation advice need, PLEASE!

Q

Comments (1)
    I would take a cabinet door with you to a stone yard and use their samples to determine what you like and what looks best with your cabinets. I'm not sure the marble look would coordinate well with your cabinets. Once you choose your counters, then shop for the b/s. Good luck!
    ...See More

Need advice on order of renovations?

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi, Emily, Looks like a fairly invasive scope of work in a home that will become home to a newborn in the next two months or so. Think disorganization, noise, chaos--and that's just the part that takes place in the hospital. With the time required for design, permits, contractor selection, and scheduling, I think the disaster scenario of a demo'd kitchen/dining room coinciding with the arrival of a new baby is a distinct possibility. I wouldn't recommend even an experienced homeowner/GC begin a project like this as a DIY/owner/GC in the third trimester. Proceed with caution.
    ...See More

Advice for Small Kitchen Renovation

Q

Comments (14)
    Yes, it's a void, but 27" to make sure the cabinets on each side will by pass the hardware on the perpendicular cabinet. I just noticed you have light switches beside the fridge, so the 18" cabinet to the right might need to be reduced to 15". If you search on 'trash pull-out under sink', you can find images, but you could make the 15" drawers to the left of the DW the trash pull-out. ETA, another reason to make the 15" cabinet a trash pull-out is that it won't need to be extended all the way to access a trash can, and since there will be only about 18" between it and the fridge door, it will either need to be a trash pull-out or a door cabinet.
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    12 years ago

What is the climate in your location, and what is the rental population?

In my area there are some students so they would probably accept having to walk outside or through the garage to the kitchen, but most families would not. Most parents would not want any of their kids to have a direct outside entry, nor would adults use it and be separated from the family like that.

So, I would consider using budget to get a connection between the house proper and the workshop, unless you have a rental population for which it would work as is, and then keeping the rest to what budget allows even if only cosmetics.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

I get why you want to open it up and bring the wall between the LR and kitchen down, but I especially agree with the comment about furniture placement in the living room. It would then become very tricky.

I see the scale on your graph paper but it confuses me a little. What are just the plain dimensions of each room - ie kitchen 9'x12', living room 16'x16'. I'd also like to see a picture of the other side of the living room and the front door. It would give me a better sense of the space and what layout changes might be possible.

I'd consider leaving the galley layout but removing the upper part of the wall in between the LR and kitchen. That way you would open it up but still have a functional LR and traffic flow. Put the fridge where the double wall ovens are and do a free-standing range between base cabinets on the other side. Just my intital two cents.

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

My opinion is that your current kitchen layout is pretty good. I agree with the suggestion to buy some counter space by eliminating the ovens and putting a range where the cooktop is. That would give you more prep space near the sink. Or you could move the fridge where the ovens are, though it puts it a little farther from the dining area (I find it handy to have the fridge near dining). You could open the top part of the kitchen/LR wall, but be careful about range placement in that case -- island/peninsula hoods are more expensive than wall/ceiling hoods, and you would need some sort of barrier like a higher pony wall between the cooking surface and the people on the other side.

I completely agree with Pal about the workshop/BR conversion. We have children, and for us a BR in that location would be usable only as guest quarters. One thing to think about would be the insulation and HVAC requirements of that space if you convert it. Even with HVAC run out there (if it isn't already), the room is likely to be colder in winter than the rest of the house just because it sticks out by itself without the thermal mass of the house helping insulate it. (Speaking from some experience here.)

There are some gorgeous galley kitchens that have been posted on this forum. Sharkbyte's springs to mind. I don't think you'll be able to have that exact same layout (fridge next to range) because of the location of your garage door, but I'll link it so you can see how beautiful a galley can be. Very functional, too... galleys can be great to work in (just be sure the DW door won't block you in when it's open).

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharkbyte's kitchen

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

Here are a couple photos of the other side of the living room.

The existing kitchen is 10' x 14' and the living room is 15' x 22', the area of the kitchen, dining area, and living room together is 25' x 22'. The fireplace is 7' wide and 5'6" tall, it is a behemoth.

Removing the wall and changing to any layout other than galley are my two highest priorities. I cook every day and even if the only gain is in my own increased happiness during that time I think it will be totally worth it. We live in nice neighborhood with some million dollar homes, so I think spending the extra money to make the kitchen really nice would get us higher rent prices than just doing the minimum. I realize that my plans are ambitious but the time frame is flexible and 5 years is the earliest we would be looking at. In the 3 years we've been in the house we've averaged about 20K a year in improvements, we have two incomes, no children, and we don't take vacations, so right now we're able to focus our finances on reaching our real-estate dreams.

We live in a Mediterranean climate with cool, rainy winters and warm, dry summers. There aren't any universities nearby so it's not a student rental area, but the house located conveniently close to a highway, an airport, and several business centers so it would be good for professionals. It also has a very large backyard with vehicle access, and a nice, big shed with a workbench and built-in storage set up for a carpenter, and we are in an area with lots of auto enthusiasts and car shows.

The workshop is an addition that we built for my home business, the exterior door was a requirement of the building department and is not something that can be removed. It is already well insulated, and we were going to install radiant floor heating when we converted it. I think despite the odd configuration and exterior door it would still be more valuable as a bedroom with en suite bathroom than anything else. It is already plumbed for a bathroom and it has a gorgeous view of our majestic, 200+ year-old oak trees.

I did consider adding a second, smaller addition to provide a better entry to the workshop/bedroom. Mainly because it would allow me to remove the door to the garage (or move it to the other side of the fireplace) and have an L-shaped kitchen, which is my favorite kitchen layout. If we were to do that, what would be the best use of the new room? It would have to be small, like 9' x 14' or so, I was thinking it would be a laundry room, dining room, or breakfast nook.

Thanks again, everyone! I really appreciate the insight and difference in perspective that comes from other people's opinions.

• User
    12 years ago

Do you really want to spend 75K-100K on a future rental?

• peachymomo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

100K is a lot, but if it increases the monthly rent it will pay for itself in the long run. Before we begin the project we are going to consult with our real estate agent, but I want to have a better plan before we call her.

And from a less rational perspective, it's not just a 'future rental' it's my first home and I have a strong desire to improve it. We'll have the mortgage paid off in 5-10 yrs, it is a nice property because it is located so conveniently and yet it also has over half an acre of land, so I have no intention of letting it go. We've been doing one or two large projects a year, so I'd like to have most of the things that are important to me done early enough to enjoy them for a bit before we move on. It will also serve as practice because when we are ready to move on we will be buying land and building our next house ourselves.

Besides, plans always change by the time they become actual projects. There's no harm in dreaming big and then scaling down when we're ready to make it a reality.

• Katie S
    12 years ago

In our area, a bedroom cannot open into a garage, it is not up to code. You're getting some advice here!

• User
    12 years ago

Yeah, no sleeping areas off of garages. And that would not be a good location for a bedroom unless you add a bath to it. If you did that and added a kitchenette addition and an exterior entrance, it could be a studio rental unconnected with the rest of the house. If you want to create an income producing situation, that would be a priority over any interior changes as you could manage to get a tenant for that right away---as long as it meets your current building codes to be able to have a rental unit. Many places would not allow that.

Modify your plans to put the range and the fridge on the back wall, the sink on the interior wall, and just keep the overhang in the dining area. That leaves the back of the pony wall in the LR to be able to put a sofa up against.

• tracie.erin
    12 years ago

I would really consider a one-wall kitchen with an island in front of it. Do not make your living room any smaller, just bring the island further into the kitchen's footprint. You can incorporate any necessary posts into the island if necessary.

You don't want a 6' wide aisle in the kitchen anyway - about 3.5' is better. If the LR stays the same size, you can have a sofa, loveseat, or chairs float and still have a walkway behind between them and the island.

Put some pantry storage in the Garage if you need to.

Here's an idea. I've also thrown in some LR furniture and DR table to get a sense of what will fit.

Best part - no space-wasting corner cabinets!!!

Honestly, you have a great opportunity in that you really don't have to move plumbing, water or gas - if that oven was gas, put in a gas range, if electric, get an induction range.

Also.. I hear you on wanting the renovations done now, I really do. I was in a similar situation to you 2 summers ago, and I am really getting tired on the mess and expense of the renovations. If your BF won't have regular help for all the projects (my fiance doesn't), it's going to take a long time. If I were you, I seriously think about leaving the existing bathrooms as they are, layout-wise.

Here is a link that might be useful: scottielee's finished kitchen, similar layout

• User
    12 years ago

Galleys are the most efficient form of kitchen there is. Everything you need is right there, just a step or two away and there are no awkward corners. However, to take down that wall you will need to create a pantry elsewhere. A substantial pantry. You will not have room for very many uppers.

I moved the range and fridge to the wall, because the fridge has to be, and the range will be much easier and MUCH cheaper to vent on the wall than in open space. Moving the sink to the open wall will be a bit of a costly PIA, but it will still be cheaper than a good island hood and trying to duct it adequately. You will do all of your prep (70% of kitchen time) next to the sink on one side and all of the cleanup (20% of kitchen time) on the other side. The fridge is easily accessed from the living area and the exterior patio door. You have a couple of stools to keep the cook company, but the eating space is right there if you need to seat more than 2. The pony wall (with possible open shelving above) at the entrance will help with furniture placement and to create a sense of entrance rather than just entering straight into the living space.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!