SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamadillowp

Cast Iron vs. Fireclay

MamadilloWP
11 years ago

Just starting a kitchen remodel and REALLY want a farmhouse sink. (I've read every thread here I can find on them.) We had been looking at the Kohler sinks until I actually saw one and realized that it's really a bathtub that you put in your kitchen! hehehe So for cost and size I started looking at Fireclay. Specifically a Whitehaus 24" sink with a beveled apron. (I currently have a 20" cast iron sink that fits most everything I need it to.)

Now I am reading all about how fireclay sinks the glaze can crackle or the sink itself cracks when pouring boiling water or if the flange is not put in properly and it's making me a little nervous.

So, how often does this really happen with Fireclay? If the glazing crackles is that a problem aside from the look of it? Does it change the integrity of the sink? Are there things you can do to keep it from happening? We are pretty easy on things, it's just my hubby and I, but I want to be able to "live" in my house. I don't want to spend the next 20 years tiptoeing around a showpiece.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (10)