SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shortyrobyn

Putting Down A New Kitchen Floor (Not So Easy for Us)

shortyrobyn
13 years ago

I wrote about our Marmoleum experiences in another thread. I've never really liked the stuff. And - as I've gotten older - maintaining the stuff has become harder - I'm not as fond of working on my hands and knees as I used to be :(.

Anyway - I'd replace it in a minute. Except for new installation problems. We have a real European kitchen. The kind where cabinets are modular and installed on floor levelers about 6 inches high. Most of the cabinets have removable toe kicks (when Europeans move - they usually take their kitchen cabinets with them - just like we'd take our furniture). The cabinets were installed over wall to wall Marmoleum. So - to replace the Marmoleum - not only would we have to pull out the appliances (no big deal) - we'd have to pull it up to an area somewhere behind the toe kicks - and then install something thin enough so the toe kicks would still fit (they attach to magnets on the "lip" under the cabinets. They fit perfectly - and I'd sooner cut down my favorite tree than try to cut these toe kicks. Butt up the new floor to areas where there are no removable toe kicks.

I have seen some high end "thin tile" type products. But - living in the greater JAX FL area - I'm not sure anyone else here has. Or has a clue how to install them. I figure the chances of getting a really botched up job are 80%+.

Removing the existing cabinets to replace the floor is out of the question. The cabinets are great. The counters are great. The installation was perfect. Why buy trouble?

Anyway - if any of you here have encountered a similar problem - or have any suggestions - I'd be glad to hear from you. Robyn

Comments (9)