SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

Gnocchi Pronunciation

gardengrl
15 years ago

A coworker and I disagree on how to pronounce gnocchi.

Is it pronounced: know-kee (what I think)

Or is is pronounced: knock-ee (what she thinks)

I've even heard it pronounced: guh-nah-chee

How do you pronounce it?

Comments (35)

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

You can hear it in the sound file below the photo in this link below.

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: How to pronounce Gnocchi

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

I think it's pronounced "nookie."

As in, "I'd really like some gnocchi for lunch."

Sorry, it's been a tough day and I couldn't help myself.
    :)
    Where is Eduardo when you need him!!

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

If I may throw in a little nuance...

My Sicilian family would pronounce it "knyoh-KEE". Note the "y".

Joe

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

I agree with Joe, that is how my Italian friend says it, but the "y" is more than a nuance it is essential to correct pronunciation.

• proudmamato4
    15 years ago

My Calabrian mil pronounces it knee-AH-kee, for what it's worth.

• nicoletouk
    15 years ago

Hey!!! Eduardo is all mine! He does have a friend, however. His name is Armando. He can be very, umm, charming...

Nicole

• jojoco
    15 years ago

I went to Italy, to a cooking school, and the instructor pronounced it like the one above, knee-AH-kee, but all ran together.

Jo

• shirleywny5
    15 years ago

I say knee-oh-kee. The knee and the oh are blended to rhyme with Rio. Then add the kee

• dedtired
    15 years ago

I've always said Nyok-kee -- emphasis on the Nyok.

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

I pronounce it like Joe - knyoh-kee or a more flat southern pronounciation - know-kee.

• femmelady
    15 years ago

I usually pronounce it as YUM!

• mimsic
    15 years ago

Keep talking and please pass the gnocchi.

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

I pronounce it like Joe does, as do my Italian friends. NancyLouise

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Here's another audio link

Sounds like it begins with the Spanish ñ as in mañana.
    And I suppose there are regional differences in pronounciation too.

SharonCb

• msprettyky
    15 years ago

My friend and I argue about this all the time. His family pronounces it yee-knock-ee. When I was in Italy last year they all called it no-key. Either way, I love it!

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lpinkmountain...ROTFLMAO!!! I almost spit my dinner out all over my keyboard! And it wasn't gnocchi!

Where's Jessy???

Seems like most pronounce it different, but the majority is nyoh-kee (or know-kee)

• deborah_ps
    15 years ago

As a young girl my Calabrian grandfather told me to think of saying New York as a way of remembering how to pronounce nyoh-kee. Oh how I miss his cooking.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

(Kathy I didn't want to touch that one with a ten foot pole lol)

• jimtex
    15 years ago

Jessy, you are turning into a wuss. I was scrolling and waiting and you didn't take the bait.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Sigh...I got here late!

• mer4205
    15 years ago

OMG - this is great! Pinkmt is the bomb! That was great!
    Ok - so correct pronunciation of Italian words (and Nuclear) is a BIG pet peeve of mine...so I agree with Joe - knyoh-KEE
    That is the proper Italian pronunciation - as Gnocchi are originally a Northern Italian regional pasta. Then there are the dialects - so that would change the pronunciation. Gnocchi with Gorgonzola and Leeks:
    Saute 1/4 cup of finely sliced leeks in butter in a pan until soft, add 1/2 cup or so of crumbled Gorgonzola and stir to melt add splash of white wine. Stir - taste for seasoning and add ground white pepper and small dash of nutmeg. Meanwhile boil the your favorite recipe of potato gnocchi and drain - reserving some of the pasta water - toss with the sauce and add some of the pasta water if the sauce is too thick. Serve - pass the fresh ground black pepper. -maria

• Vique_Pa
    15 years ago

I don't have any friends so I can pronounce it any way I want to. Vique.

• donnar57
    15 years ago

Northern Italian here - two generations ago - my gran always pronounced it the same way that Joe did - for fun we always said "Yonks" (to annoy my gran)!

DonnaR/CA

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

The Italian guy I used to work for (Calabrian) pronounced it Pam dedtired)'s way- nyok-ee, emphasis on the "o" (which is pronounced as the "o" in "knock"). The "ny" sound is prouncounced as the "n" in "manana" (can't do the little tilde, sorry).

• sooz
    15 years ago

Gotta ring in here... my maternal grandparents were from a little place 7 miles north of Rome, and my paternal grandparents were from a little town near the French border.

My maternal grandmother would make her gnocchi once a week, on top of her kitchen table. I have that very same table.

We've always pronounced it "knyo-key" (the first "k" is silent, and the accent is on the first syllable).

I once heard a TV chef call them "knock-ees" --rhymes with Rockies. Strange.

Smiles,
    Sooz

• jimster
    15 years ago

"I once heard a TV chef call them "knock-ees" --rhymes with Rockies. Strange."

It is strange because gnocchi is the plural of gnoccho. So gnocchies is the English pluralization of an Italian plural, if you get what I mean. I've heard raviolies and spiedinies too. Oddly, these usages seem to be prevalent among my friends of Italian descent.

Jim

• sooz
    15 years ago

In my family, we use gnocchi as both the singular and the plural, sorta like fish and deer can be both singular and plural nouns.

Ohhhh, taste this gnocchi! (generally referring to one single gnocchi)
    We're having gnocchi for dinner! (you KNOW this means a batch of them)

Interesting!
    Smiles,
    Sooz

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

Maria, that recipe looks delicious and easy. Believe it or not, I've never had gnocchi before, no matter how it's pronounced. I'll have to try some, and use your recipe.

So, the way some of you, including Joe and Maria have written the phonetics, it looks like the accent is on the last syllable. Is that the case? Also, is the "k" pronounced? If not, wouldn't it be left out of the phonetical spelling? Just getting picky here, but also trying to understand whether it's supposed to have that k sound included.

Sally

• stacy3
    15 years ago

yeah, talk about strange, Jim - I often hear them called "yonkees"

Or maybe that's just how it sounds after a couple glasses of wine.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

nyokee would be how I would pronounce it; although with the italian word "bagno"
    I pronounce bang-yo, the gn sound is familiar in french but I can't find a way to explain it in english,

the more I read this thread, the more confused I am at the proper way-
    I'm convinced it can't be" knock ee"

• mimsic
    15 years ago

My grandmother used to say, "I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner!" So, I don't care what you call them, just make them fresh and call me when the water's boiling! And where's Lou? He must have an opinion about this.

• Lars
    15 years ago

Sharon's second link sounds correct to me - the first one should not be trusted, since it is British, and the British are famous for mangling foreign words.

As for bagno - I've only heard it pronounced "ban-yo". It's true that "gn" in Italian is equivalent to the Spanish "ñ", and both are extremely rare at the beginning of words. BTW, "gnoccho" also means "dolt, idiot", which may be why the singular version is seldom used. There is a similar word in Spanish, "naco", which means "plebian" in Mexico, but with rather severe social innuendos, which I won't go into.

Chefs are also famous for mispronouncing words, using bad grammar, and having annoying sentence constructions, such as beginning every sentence with "What I'm going to do next is, I'm going to..." instead of saying "Next I'm going to...", but then they would be less obnoxious. I don't know where this habit originated, but it seems to have proliferated in the cooking schools, where English is obviously not a subject taught (or well understood). I have heard chefs on TV say they were going to make "No Keys", which makes me shudder. The "o" should be pronounced like the "o" in "York" (minus the "r"), more like the "o" in "Romulus" than in "Rome". "Roma" has a long "o", "gnocchi" has a short "o", but it is not the same short "o" as in English.

Lars

• jimster
    15 years ago

"..."gnoccho" also means "dolt, idiot", which may be why the singular version is seldom used..."

Could be. But then, we are seldom dealing with just one gnoccho or one raviolo.

Jim

• mer4205
    15 years ago

We usually term cannoli or cannolo because you usually eat one. Gnocchi (I agree with Jim) are seldom eaten in the singular.

Mitch - not knock-ee and definitely not knockers.

-maria

• george_lazarides
    13 years ago

I'm half Italian and in my 40's now, my grandparents came from Italy, and my Italian family pronounces it "knee-AH-kee" all ran together like @jojoco said.