SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charley526

Need Ideas for my Dining Room

charley526
13 years ago

Hi there! I'm working on putting together some ideas for finishing my DR. I'm so close to being done with it!

I've gotten some wonderful suggestions for other rooms in my home that are currently on hold-- waiting on swatches, waiting for husband, etc.

While I'm waiting...I'd like to slipcover some or all of my DR chairs. I'm thinking maybe chocolate brown or a camel color. What do you think will look best?

Then there's the art on the walls. I loved them when I saw them in another person's home, so my husband surprised me with them. He's such a sweetheart :) I still like them, but don't love them since I've seen them in a few catalogs. But they have to stay. I could rearrange them or find a new place for 2 of them. Any suggestions for that? I'd really love to find something that would complement them. A mirror, a clock, a painting?? I know that I have a mix of styles going on, & I've made peace with that.

Any and all suggestions or critiques are welcome! :D

Thank You!

Comments (37)

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

Love the furniture and the rug. I'm not wild about the drapes nor the pics.
    I think the pics need to be bigger and brighter and bring in more of the colors in the rug.
    Same for the draperies.

• roch3
    13 years ago

I don't know if you need to slipcover your chairs, they are nice as is. I would definately re-group the pictures, if you're going to keep them.
    i agree with pp, I would change out your drapes, and add some accent pieces to the table, like a runner. Nice room and a great start!

• Related Discussions

Looking for ideas for window treatments for my dining room

Q

Comments (4)
    I see no relationship between the blue walls and anything else in the room and if the drapes had blue and cream or beige stripes that might solve the problem. The room is very linear and a large green plant and a round or oval centerpiece would help to correct that.
    ...See More

Need ideas for furnishing living room/dining room.

Q

Comments (10)
    congrats on your new condo! she is lovely in and out. Well, I am sure we could help you make the inside look more like the outside. but i have to say the inside looks just like newly built houses. so that is more your choice i think. and perhaps you just want to use what you have and add a few pieces that will give you more of the look you want, but it does not have to match the exterior. you mentioned a lot of pics from around the world, I am guessing you want to know how to use. I have collected some idea. the one thing that is universal is using the same color frames. you can use varied but you have to have more skills to make it work.in a black frameanother external frame main subject in center bits of subject around.this is a set of family pics in a format.
    ...See More

I need ideas to dress up my dining room wall

Q

Comments (2)
    nothing is staying...Regarding the floors, I got rid of the carpet and I'm planning to install hardwood floors. In the past, this dining room had custom build cabinets, the same kind of cabinets we had in the kitchen and I don't want to keep them... Here is a photo of how it was the dining room in the past. I want to create a new modern dining room....I haven't bought any furniture yet...
    ...See More

Living Room/Dining Room Ideas Needed!

Q

Comments (4)
    J Castellanos - Sorry, you didn't deserve that in your thread. It's just that these Houzz "pros" are supposed to know not to pop into a thread with the sole intent of advertising their own products, and that is what the aforementioned "pro" does repeatedly. It's tiresome. Now, regarding your decorating issues ... What is on the wall across from the sectional? I see you've got your TV and console set up on the one wall, but wonder if you could move to the wall opposite the sofa and then "flip" the sofa around so that it's open to the fireplace? As it is now, it doesn't look like the fireplace gets much enjoyment by those seated on the sectional. I'm thinking that if you could rearrange things a bit, you might have space for a desk behind the sofa on the wall where the TV is now. I would not move the dining set into the living room, as that will cramp the space.
    ...See More
  • loribee
    13 years ago

Gosh, I love the drapes.
    Maybe have 2 pictures on one side and add a nice, round mirror on the opposite side???

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Could you add a large plant in the corner and perhaps something green on the table? I think this room needs something living and green. The area is very monochromatic, in spite of the rug, and the yellowish color of the furniture is fighting with the pinkish drapes. If you can't change the drapes you might try incorporating that color on your chair covers. A stripe with that color and the dark color of the rug might be nice to liven things up and give an added dimension to the room.

If you don't love the pictures I'd find a less conspicuous place in the house for them. Or you could put your two favorite ones on the side wall and find something more colorful, larger and more dramatic for the longer wall, with somewhat more ornate frames. Find something you LOVE to put on the walls, something more vibrant in color as was mentioned, and perhaps not too predictable and "safe".

Your room is actually very pretty and I hope you'll receive lots more comments that will help to make it perfect.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

My guess is that the drapes look different IRL. I can understand wanting to add color to the chairs though. I have always wanted to do this to mine, but never haven gotten around to it. I like the idea of a plant in the corner, a centerpiece on the table, maybe something decorative (a large ceramic piece) on top of the china cabinet. It is a lovely room and just needs the decorative touches. This can be the hardest. Some people have the knack and are always collecting things where ever they go. Others (like me) look around their rooms and then try to go out and find things. IMO this is harder. Have fun and post your progress!

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas so far!

I keep a tablecloth on the table at all times(in the wash now) because my kids would destroy the table otherwise. I do want some kind of centerpiece, but haven't found anything kid-proof yet.
    I am not committed to the drapes. Ingrid is correct; the furniture is pulling the pink & the curtains are pulling out the yellow in the wood. My pictures are quite accurate in color, maybe the curtains are a tad deeper, but not much. I'll put the slipcover idea on hold for now & try to find drapery fabric that works better w/the color wood that I have.

So do you have any specific suggestions for curtain color?

• User
    13 years ago

I like the pictures, but I don't like them all spread out. I think you lose the impact that way. Hope that makes sense. Will all 4 (2 over 2) fit somewhere in there? To the right of the window that faces the kitchen?

• User
    13 years ago

Or 2 on either side of the window (either window), stacked one over the other?

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I think you need to open up the color palette a bit because while slipcovering may help, there's still a lot of that orange color dominating the room.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't think I can stack them...maybe side by side will work for now. I went through my fabric stash & did some mock ups. Any hits?

Ivory Linen:

Brick Silk:

Green Silk Stripe:

Blue/Green Embroidered Silk:

Camel Silk:

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

I'm thinking maybe you need to use more of the navy color from the rug.
    A navy and cream stripe on the seat cushions and another navy for the drapes.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you mean the background color of the rug? It's actually a true black.

• User
    13 years ago

I like the green silk stripe. But, what colors are in the kitchen that is open to the dining area?

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't have any accent colors in the kitchen yet. I've been holding out to see how I finish the dining area. Just maple cabinets, Uba Tuba Granite and same wall color. No backsplash or window treatment.

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

I think 2 pictures on each side of the hutch if they will fit. Can we see a close up of the rug? :)

So far I like both the brick silk and the green stripe.

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

My screen shows the rug as a bit navy but if it's black then go with the black on the windows.
    It will tie in your breakfast bar nicely.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I love your dining room. I would keep the drapes shown in
    the first picture in your original post. Those are the
    prettiest.

Change the pictures around use only two and add another
    or a few small ones in different sizes.

Add plants.
    A Ficus tree in the corner with a vase planter like this.
    Okay maybe the Dragon is too much but the colors are pretty.

Put an accent above the china hutch like this...

Maybe some accents...

And maybe a table runner
    Not Yellow but a pattern to match those pretty drapes

Just a few thoughts that came to my mind but please know
    the space is already lovely.
    ~boxer

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone! I don't have much confidence in decorating. Here's the rug:

• yborgal
    13 years ago

Lovely room, just needs a few tweeks here and there.
    I think the artwork is lovely, but they need wider, more ornate frames and if you add another mat then the size will significantly increase.

If the main color of your rug is black, why are you thinking about covering your chairs in chocolate brown?

May I suggest a bold stripe featuring black, red, and beige/gold for your chairs? I think getting another pattern in there rather than a solid would make your room quite interesting.
    Some greenery above the china cabinet would be very nice as has been suggested by a previous poster.

• yborgal
    13 years ago

WOW!!! I love your rug. I definitely would choose fabric to complement it.

Maybe something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: striped fabric

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

Beautiful rug! I would love to see mock-up of wall paint drawn from the rug -- either the blue, camel, or beige, and then decide on drapery. I like the textures of any of your alternative drapes much more than the texture of the current drapery.

For the artwork, I'd hang 3 vertically (and put the 4th in the kitchen). Since you are less enamored with the art now, sometimes hanging it in a somewhat unconventional manner adds something. Two locations seem prime: to the left of the china cabinet, or the left of the slider to the deck. Probably slider to the deck would get more attention.

• yborgal
    13 years ago

• oceanna
    13 years ago

I think what you're doing looks wonderful and that chandy is to drool over.

I don't mind the drapes as is but of all the choices, I vote the red brick silk. I don't care for the white or green because it's my personal opinion that the dining room should be as warm and cozy as possible, which encourages those around the table to chat and laugh.

I would arrange the pictures you have together in one grouping of four, and put up candle sconces in there, maybe a mirror.

Yes to adding some greenery. That decor absolutely cries out for a palm or two in the corner(s) -- watch for spider mites on palms, or get fake palms. Yes to greenery and a nice vase or whatever on top of the china cabinet.

Love your mission furniture, love your bar stools, love your rug.

I might be tempted to pick up the red in the rug for my chair seats. I prefer a pattern to a solid in my dining chair seats. I mean, you have food and drink there, and what are the chances of a spill sooner or later, and maybe you can't get every iota of the stain out?

This room is well on its way to being breathtaking. Keep up the good work and keep posting photos, please. We LOVE photos.

Oh! And you can get great ideas for wall decor and furniture toppings in this thread in our Gallery. It contains several hundred pictures of breathtaking dining rooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining Room Eye Candy

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the existing drapes yet...no slipcovers yet either till I figure it out. Although the stripe fabric posted looks like great match for the rug, it says rayon, polyester, silk. Might not be a match for kids. The seats now are a textured black and oatmeal stripe in excellent condition after 13 years.

Someday there will be a server on the right side of the window facing the kitchen. That will be my spot for the large dramatic painting. No mirror because it will just reflect a messy kitchen!

I'll try to find 2 tall plants for each back corner today. Hopefully something low maintenance ;)

I like the idea of candle sconces-mirrored would be even better. Would you put them flanking the hutch or side window?

I do want to put something over the hutch. I had been thinking some white ceramic pieces...or would you use color?

• loribee
    13 years ago

I still like the original drapes but like the Blue/Green Embroidered Silk also~

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

I think it depends on what look you are going for. When I look at the first picture quickly the rug stands out the most. If you were to hang darker drapes, maybe with some black, they would balance the rug. The existing drapes are very pretty and do go, they are the same tone so to speak as the furniture so they blend and don't draw the eye away from the furniture.

It is hard to say if that would be the case in person though with the dark counters, and looking at both rooms together.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. :)

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That does make sense! The kitchen is in clear view. You are right that it needs to be considered since it is part of the same room/area. After the kids are done w/breakfast I'll snap a few pics that include the kitchen. Thanks!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Boopadaboo is right. I could not agree more. The counter
    can be a huge help to the room tying them both in.

Charley, I really do love your dining area and kitchen.
    You have a lovely sense of decorating. Beautiful!

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Boxerpups! Last night I dreamt that I panicked over my too pink curtains & tea-dyed them to darken them a little and they turned out great!LOL
    Anyway, here's my kitchen:

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Your space is beautiful, and look there is a tiny child in
    the background. I am amazed that your home is so perfect
    with a little one around. That was next to impossible for
    me when mine were that small.

Dreaming... Perfect. Dreaming means your creative side was
    communicating to your serious side. Tie dying was the risky
    crazy side saying be free, be hippie and it will all fall
    into place.

What is that color on your walls? I love it. It is creamy
    but not yellow cream more of a soft caramel mixed in when
    no one was looking kind of cream.
    ~boxer

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I have tea-stained some fabric before for pillows; that could be part of why I thought of it:)
    I have 3 young ones, 7y, 4y & 2y. Main rule:toys stay upstairs!!

The entire house (except kid's rooms) is painted BM Moccasin.
    That's a great description for it, sort of what I was going for at the time. I am a getting little bored with it though.
    Charlie

• sorriso
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, where are those three bottles from?

Thank you!

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd like to know too!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Oh my. I was busy watching the foot ball games so sorry...
    The red vases are from Homedecorators.com
    They are $54.00 each
    They come in Red, Aqua, Brown, Clear

Hope that helps.
    ~boxer

Ps. Just wait til the little ones grow into football. : )

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Went shopping yesterday to buy 2 floor palms & any other accessories. UGH that was sooo painful. I need a personal shopper! ;) The palms seemed too huge and I didn't like any tablecloths, vases, bowls, jars, anything. I did come home with 3 large creamy white pitchers for above the hutch, but not so sure I like the look for this room.
    I looked at a lot of faux plants too. But I couldn't get past the plastic feel. I'll need to find 2 corner plants that can survive in low light...

Will definitely have to do online shopping. I'm thinking of getting those rusty red vases for above my hutch.
    Can you point me in the direction of some online shops that may suit my look?
    Thanks!

• yayagal
    13 years ago

If you do get the vases, here's a ten dollar off coupon code, good till Feb. 20th

check out the OUTLET on the right of the page, very often the same items are on sale there at much lower prices.

• charley526
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks yayagal! I haven't decided yet :/

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions