SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Regrets, serious edition

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

I finished my kitchen in June and I'm very, very happy with the granite, improved layout, appliances, cabinet quality, etc., etc., etc. However, every time I see a kitchen with white cabinets, I stop and look and ooh and ahh. My cabinets are natural maple. Originally I was torn between white and maple; there was a question on the floor to match (since rendered irrelevant); I worried about kids being too hard on white; my KD steered me toward maple. I "compromised" with a white/cream island.

This is not a question of getting used to it or learning to live with it. It's been six months, and I really love virtually every aspect of the new kitchen.

So, questions.

1. Good idea in this kitchen?

I know I won't have inset cabs or a soapstone countertop, both of which seem to be part of "the look."

2. Begging for photoshop help!

3. How hard is it to paint cabinets? If I hired someone, how much should I expect to pay?

4. If I were to do this, would I want to try to match the cabinets to the existing island color, or paint the island a different color altogether? And if so, what color? I don't like black, I'm not fond of overly distressed things. Keep in mind the color of the granite, which is NOT, NOT, NOT changing.

5. What happens, in the minds of those who are fussy about mixing white and off-white (I'm one of them), when an off-white/cream cabinet is put next to a white apron sink and white subway tile?

Comments (72)

• sautesmom Sacramento
    15 years ago

I think the hardest part will be changing your log-in name to whitekitobsessed. :)
    OF course you should paint them white, life is too short for you to every day walk in to get something to eat and sigh "If only..." and hate your kitchen.
    As far as matching your island, if you are going to be repainting, paint all of it, including the island, the same color white to match your sink. Maybe you can also pick a greyish-blue out of your counter to paint the walls. Or if that wouldn't work (with your hall, can't really tell), paint the walls a lighter hue of the floor color.
    When I die I'd rather have years of pleasurable memories of a kitchen I loved than have saved a couple of thousand by not repainting!

Carla in Sac

• rhome410
    15 years ago

It doesn't matter how many of us think the end result is gorgeous if you aren't comfortable with it. It sounds like someone steered you away from the kitchen you felt would be 'you,' which is sad. At first I was ready to tell you, "Paint!" But Chefkev's concern is valid...Would your other elements have been the same if you knew your cabinets were going to be white? If so, go for it. If not, maybe it won't be the vision you originally had in mind and some adjustments could be in order?

Could you be happy with doing a section or a feature piece in white? Could you be happy with white uppers? If you're afraid of losing all the warmth, could you leave just a small part in maple? If you're afraid of too much white on white, would another light color on the cabinets do the trick, but work with the other materials? Lots of things to consider. Take your time so you'll know you'll love it.

The one thing I wouldn't worry about is not having black counters. I love when people do the classic white kitchen, but make it theirs with an individual choice like your blue granite.

Best wishes. I really feel for you, and want you to love your new kitchen!

• Related Discussions

Serious and Urgent Issues With a Mimosa Pudica

Q

Comments (9)
    Ken, thanks a bunch for such quick response! The nursery did pot it in dirt. But they also kept it with the original dirt it had. To answer your P.S., the plant wasn't in the ground but actually in one of those black plastic bag kind of coverings. But it's a good advice you're giving me here. Yes, we are at the top of summer; and though this summer is not too hot as past summers, still I think the sun is showering down twice its radiation down here. So it's good to know if I need to transplant from ground to pot in the future. This time, however, it has been pot to pot. I don't know if that makes a difference. The plant was rather manhandled during the transplant. (It's not a responsible nursery as you would think, but rather a thoroughfare of plant-selling bodegas.) But during the 2-block walk home and finding it a proper place, I tried to keep it as comfortable and shockless as possible. Still, perhaps the repotting was rather traumatic. The person who did it might as well have strangled the plant! I'll keep on watering it each time the dirt gets dry. I read somewhere I should just water into the plate. Perhaps that's the best idea. I have the hunch my seller really doesn't know much about it. I asked them about how to care for it and certain specs of the mimosa and all the person told me was instantly contradicted upon researching the web. But the good news is the plant cost me little over a buck; so I'm not worried about the money, but I do hope the plant gets happy soon and thrives. I've brought the plant in for the night to see if perhaps it's getting cold just before dawn, though I doubt it should get so cold as to affect it. Perhaps tomorrow I'll keep it out of direct sunlight and see how it progresses. Well, so thanks again for the good advice and the quick response! X.B. This post was edited by Xavier_Bonet on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 18:28
    ...See More

Supercell looks serious Dawn!

Q

Comments (1)
    I'll add another OOPS to bump it on down the page.
    ...See More

Please look at my new recessed lights...is it just me? serious regrets

Q

Comments (27)
    Jan Moyer, thank you! Tems, I can't speak for others, but I've only had recessed lighting (in our now demolished kitchen) and would never consider not replacing it. I need a bright kitchen. Recessed lights help illuminate the floor/walkway, as well as add light to the countertops. I'd noticed mine did cause a slight shadow in the front, but not so detrimental to my cooking. However, the addition of 2700 LED's will now (hopefully) remove that, and further brighten my future workspace. I do not find them to be harsh or busy, but again, for the kitchen (and utility/laundry room) I need 'brightness'. Are you suggesting only undercabinet lights, and pendants or a center light in a kitchen? I want to see in my cabinets, my counter tops, my sinks, see where I'm walking, see my entire kitchen. Without the recessed lights, I'd have a dark kitchen.
    ...See More

For serious Tolkien fans

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm sorry to learn of this - I have several of the "HOME" books, and enjoyed how they showed the evolution of Tolkien's mythology as well as the basic storyline of LotR. One of the most intriguing LotR characters which Tolkien dropped early on was "Trotter," the hobbit who wore shoes and whose lines were all transferred to Strider/Aragorn; I've always wished to learn more of him.
    ...See More
  • vicnsb
    15 years ago

blue...my favorite kitchens on this forum are always the ones
    that are unique to the owner, yours shows that personal style.

I agree with chinchettes post. But it is your kitchen and you need to
    feel good about it. Best of luck,
    vic

• crashboombang
    15 years ago

This might sound nutso - but to have a real-life mock-up (if that makes any sense) on the cheap - could you try wrapping some or all of your cabinets in something like butcher paper that is white? It might be somewhat tedious, but might give you an idea of what the white would be like in your kitchen while being less tedious than un-painting if you didn't like it. Just a thought.

I do think your kitchen is very pretty as-is. Having just built a house, I have to say that I think there is a tendency to see anything that wasn't part of the plan in your head (or on paper) as being wrong. I know I've done it. It can be EXTREMELY difficult to stand back and look at something objectively for what it actually is instead of only seeing what it isn't that you thought it was going to be. You wonder if people who compliment something that in your head turned out 'wrong' are just being nice, but their only vision for it is what they see in front of them. They aren't looking at it through the filter of "what if I'd used this other layout/floor choice/cabinet choice/tile choice etc. etc" that you can't escape when you've been through the entire process. Maybe this is way more than that, though. Sorry if I've rambled on, but hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK!

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Blue, whether I think your kitchen is beautiful or not ( which I do) matters not a twit if you are not happy.
    I don't know if you remember, but I had a question 2 or so months ago and told everyone how my upstairs paint was the wrong color and should we repaint, even though the wrong color was fine and did look nice.

Well we just finished repainting the upstairs. Now, it is right. Now, I don't need to sigh every time I go up there. Now, I feel good in my soul about it.

We all know there are more important things in life then paint color. The bottom line though is we all have spent a good deal of time making our spaces places we want to be in. We had the chance to create and we all took it.

It is not a bad thing to not feel right about some of your choices. Make it right now. Life is too short to be unhappy every time you walk in your kitchen. If you are not feeling it, change it.
    Hire some professionals and let them take care of it. It can be done. It should be done if that is what you are feeling.

Your kitchen is beautiful, but may not be working for you. Make it work. It's ok.

• autumngal
    15 years ago

I like crashboombang's idea of modeling it- it would take a bit of time, but not as much as painting... having to deal with a transitional kitchen again for any sort of time I would think would be no fun (this is from one who is packing food for 5 in a mini-fridge).

I would also wait a bit before painting it for many reasons:

1. your kitchen is stunning as is, really beautiful, why mess with perfection?

2. you've managed to really work some old fashioned elements into a contemporary look- I think this really highlights your granite, which is just beautiful, and when it comes right down to it, I think there's a chance the more traditional looking white cabs would take away from your contemporary granite.

I think in another 3 to 6 months, you'll know for sure. Regardless, you obviously have great taste and if you do decide to paint it all white and it will be amazing.

I am on the other end of a similar position, I love love love white cabinets- they are bright, which I think a kitchen should be, they seem timeless, but, I've choosen a dark wood to go with my old house. I hope that I don't have regrets... Thanks and good luck!

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry that you are disappointed with your kithcen after all the care you put into planning it. You must be really unhappy if you're willing to cover new cabinets with paint. But, I have to be honest, I don't think that you'll like the way white cabinets look with your granite (which looks quite beautiful with the maple) if the look you had in mind was the "somethings gotta give" kitchen. The suggestion to hire a designer is good advice...it may be something quite simple like switching out the hardware that will make these cabinets work for you. At the very least, you should bring home a white cabinet door and see how you like it with the granite before you paint.

• fondantfancy
    15 years ago

How terrible to be unhappy after all the work you've done.

I think the best piece of advice you been given here is to get a designer in. But don't get a kitchen designer in, they might concentrate on changing the kitchen itself. Get an interior designer in. check out their portfolio first and make sure you like the type of rooms they do.

The other thing I wonder is whether white kitchens photograph better, and that is why you OOH over them. I also seem to be attracted by pictures of white kitchens, and yet I am installing oak. The reason being that every time I see a white kitchen in person I don't like the feel. I also have 3 children and know that white won't stand up to it.

I have hesitated several times over the last few months, but my kitchen is taking a long time to finish (DIY) and right at the beginning of the project (10 months ago)I ordered our french stove in cream. That one decision has been why I couldn't change my mind. It isn't even installed yet - it goes in next week.

Whatever decision you make I'm sure you will end up with a fabulous room.

Good luck!

• gwent
    15 years ago

Blue,
    I, too, was so sorry and surprised to see your name on this thread as I enjoyed your earlier posts so much and thought your kitchen so lovely.
    I think Rosie (in an above post) said it best with some really interesting insights. Rosie, I am taking your comments to heart myself. Why is it some of us stay on theforum long after our kitchens are done??
    So, Blue, IMO, Take more time and as another GW advised you, too, bring in a local designer you trust for a color consult.
    I think the maple is warm and perhaps all white will be too cool. Swapping hardware sounds like a good idea too.

• deedee-2008
    15 years ago

Bluekitchen...I was renovating my kitchen the same time as you did, and even though it's a million times better than my old kitchen, yes, I do have regrets also. I have never mentionned them to anyone (esp. DH who had to help shell out the $$ and put up with all my drama). I am sad to hear how you are disappointed so much in yours, but I am glad you are confronting your misgivings. I agree with the above posters to hire an interior decorator for a help on this. Whatever your outcome, I hope it works out for you.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I must admit the photoshop of the range area does look beautiful. What do you think of it? Is it what you dreamed of?

• megradek
    15 years ago

No Way!! I love your kitchen and agree with others about the warmth of the cabs with the unbelievable stone counters.

As said before, if you are unhappy, that is all that matters. Do what you need to do to satisfy your needs (put the all white into the bath, paint the perimeter cabs, do nothing and wait longer, etc.)

If I put on my professional hat (a psychologist) I would want to dig into what else you are needing in life and why you compromised with the KD. But I only know you through posts, so what the heck am I talking about!

Most of us have to make compromises through this process: cost, space, spouse's likes/dislikes, family usage, blah, blah, blah. If you were able to create the perfect kitchen for you and only you, what would it be???

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Blue, my heart goes out to you. I am certainly no designer, and cannot make several decisions about my own kitchen for fear of making a mistake. That said, I am wondering if perhaps it is the very little contrast between the light maple and white that is bugging you. Is the light maple a substitute for white? The white backsplash is pretty, but just enough contrast to remind you cabs are maple not white. Are the finishes (walls, bs, etc,) the white kitchen you wanted with maple cabs standing in for white? Possibly, light maple could be the 'new white'. Paint the island a darker or a warmer light color. The island is painted after all, and would be easier to change back if you didn't like it. Hiring a designer is a good suggestion. It is much less labor intensive and less expensive than painting as a first step. Good luck!

• kitchen1921
    15 years ago

I personally love your kitchen and would not dream of changing even one thing! BUT it isn't my kitchen. So if you're serious about wanting a change toward white, I could see the cabinets in a warm buttery cream (nearly yellow, really), and then refinishing the island to a deep walnut or espresso tone.

The white/off white you see in the "white kitchens" is really too cold looking with blue countertops. Unless you live in Florida or Arizona, I wouldn't do it.

I'm so sorry you are disappointed! Want to trade kitchens? I have all the materials purchased for a white kitchen, but I think I might love yours a little more!

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

'sfunny, I saw the photoshopped kitchen and thought "Gaak! Cottage!". Nothing wrong with cottage but it seems a shame to me to take a perfectly nice contemporary space and make it "cottage". That is what the white and blue makes.

That said, bluekitobsessed, what does the kitchen that you wanted look like? I can't imagine that it is just a matter of going from natural maple to white cabinetry. That changes the look SO much that there has got to be something fundamental that is "wrong" with the kitchen you put in that would have to be "righted" for it to become what you want. My guess is that the real problem that ails you is something much much more subtle than painting the cabinetry. I have an idea but if you could post your inspiration, I bet we could all do some detective work and find the simple fix.

I agree with those who've said don't-do-it/don't-do-it/don't-do-it to taking the lovely factory finished natural maple and doing an on-site paint job on it. The on-site paint job will not be anywhere near as durable as the factory finish. Chinchette and lascatx have excellent posts - I'd definitely pay them heed.

And I'll differ with morton5, too. Thanks morton for psycho-analyzing me, but I'll humbly beg to differ and plead great satisfaction with my kitchen - thanks to the kind people here who helped me much when I was designing it. I don't hang around because I'm fundamentally disappointed in it; I do so - albeit sporadically - to give myself a light change (read procrastination) from work or reading the news - because I know this community. I wouldn't join here today in order to post but because I know this place and still know some of the folks, I come by occasionally. I had no idea that hanging around here was construed so dismally, so I think I'll try to remove myself.

• trixieinthegarden
    15 years ago

I can sympathize with the whole "I wish I had..." syndrome. It's because in the end, you can only choose ONE option. I love my kitchen, I'd love to add a few new things here and there that were not available when I remodeled, and maybe change a couple of small things here and there. But there's a whole other kitchen that is totally different than my own, lurking in the back of my mind. That kitchen is the composite of all the choices I didn't choose but loved anyway. So what I do to ease that feeling is design my NEXT kitchen! It helps me to not feel that I made the "wrong" choices, because I know I didn't, and neither did you. It just gives me a chance to vent my other choices in my mind, and it helps me to appreciate the choices I did make.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Mindstorm, I realized too late that my post was offensive and apologized. Again, sorry, of course not everyone is as neurotic as myself.

• User
    15 years ago

White and blue kitchens are a traditional/country look, and if that's what you want, then wholeheartedly jump into painting your cabinets. If that's not the feeling you want, then painting should be on the list of things to change, but you'll also need to reconsider other elements in your kitchen. Right now, the traditional cup pulls and schoolhouse pendant contrast with the more contemporary maple and granite, and that works. If you change to white paint, you'll want to think of something more contemporary somewhere else to keep it transitional. Maybe that does mean changing your pulls or your lights too.

If I didn't like the current kitchen though, I'd have no qualms about painting those cabinets. Paint can be painted over if you don't get the color right. But, I think I'd do that island in a bright royal blue rather than white. That'd work well with your blue granite, and I know you like blue. :) I'd also suggest redoing the backsplash if you paint. White paint with white subways is very traditional, and if you want it to read transitional, maybe a sheet glass backsplash backpainted a light blue to tie into the granite. Or the teensiest itsy bitsy glass tiles in a white iridescent that shines blue. Or white iridescent glass subways. Just not plain white subway tile. Unless you want to go more traditional.

We just need to get more of an idea of what it is you want, and then I'm sure there will be even more suggestions as to how to accomplish that within your current kitchen. So, do the "Sweeby test" and tell us about what you envision when you walk into that kitchen, and then let's figure out what doesn't fit that vision in your now kitchen.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

My heart goes out to you. I think you have just "verbalized" everyone's biggest fear, which is why so many of us have a difficult time making a decision. I remember a couple of years ago DH and I spent all day painting our kitchen and family room(blue-oddly enough) and after it was done I started having an anxiety attack. Tried going to sleep but was downstairs at 2AM looking at it and hating it. DH said "no big deal", we'll just repaint it(I understand what you're talking about is on a MUCH bigger scale than repainting walls). 3 years later we still haven't painted(for a variety of reasons), but I still HATE it. So I think we pretty much would know after 6 months whether you like it or not.

I do think it would be very worthwhile to have an interior designer come in and take a look. Maybe you could like your kitchen more if other elements were changed. Maybe a different wall color would help. Maybe adding some more glass front cabinets would "lighten" the maple and you wouldn't feel like you were looking at maple doors. Maybe taking down some of the uppers and putting shelving there. Maybe just taking the doors off some of the uppers and painting the inside of those cabinets white. I think there are a lot of things you could maybe at least try first before painting the cabs. Then, if you decide that white is really what you want, go for it!!!! Life is too short to have these sorts of regrets.

I hope this helps just a little bit......Good luck!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

For all of you who do hang around on occasion long after your kitchens are done, I want to say a big Thank You! You provide much needed experience with your working kitchens that help guide those of us who are in the process. My take on why most hang around is the generosity of spirit that makes the GW such a great place. You want to give back some of what you received here on GW. It wouldn't be the same without you.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

blue--first off, your kitchen looks great but you are the one living and working within it. From the photoshop pics, the white would look really good as well if that is the look that you love and want. I have just recently decided on going in an exact opposite direction color-wise in our kitchen than I thought I had decided upon after being torn for the past several months between two different color schemes, both of which I love. I hope that after completing our kitchen that I don't look back and say I wish I had gone the other direction. I admire you for expressing your doubts and seeking out advice for various possibilities in achieving your final look. Good luck and keep us posted!

morton5--I was not offended by your post but disagree with some of your rationale. I have been lurking and coming to this forum for the past couple of years during pre-planning, finalizing a plan, and finally and slowly starting our renovation. I plan on continuing coming to this forum after I finish our kitchen because (1) I love looking at the various styles of kitchens people come up with (I also love going into open houses to see other styles othe than mine), (2) it seems there are always new things coming up for a kitchen that I would otherwise never have known about, and (3) even though I personally do not know anyone, I enjoy the various personalities that I have "met" while being on this forum.

So I would like to take this time to say "thank you" for those who continue to come to this forum even though their kitchens are completed and share their experiences and advice to those of of us who are still in the process. I am often drawn to those posts from names that I recognize as being our local "experts" and who have been on here for some time.

• claybabe
    15 years ago

Blue, I still get a little queasy when I see a really terrific white kitchen, and wonder why I thought it wouldn't work for me, but I love love love the wood I have, so we are in a little different position.

I know it feels like you've been done for a long time, but it's ONLY been six months. I had to buy a new house, remodel it, move into it, and then go back and look at the old kitchen to fully appreciate it (almost two years) and not feel any regrets. So time may help you sort out what you want to do.

Wrapping the cabs in white seems like an excellent idea, to allow you to see it first hand. But I think the photo shop looks good: Get a designer/interior decorator, and discuss the wall color and cab color when you decide what you want to do. Remember what others said, this kitchen was put together as a whole, and the end result of painting the cabs might change some things to a less happy ending. Without standing in your kitchen I couldn't say for sure, but really, I think the white would change everything and it would look fine. Of course, I also think it looks great now! A designer might have some suggestions to help you love your kitchen more while you are deciding. Do what you want.

Regarding my own personal patholog(y/ies): I enjoy this website, like thinking about kitchens and appliances and layouts, sometimes like to just waste time here, am interested in the personalities that come through and why I am (interested), and have occasionally been too wrapped up in other people's opinions. Oh well, who cares?!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Blue, check out this thread over on the home decorators forum (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg011238498602.html?10762). Renofan had a similar situation to yours and just posted her newly painted kitchen cabs.

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments and photoshop help! They have clarified things for me. Seeing things in black and white helps analytical/verbal people like me.

What really has grabbed me is the difference between the words "regret" (even a serious regret)and "disappointment." I regret the maple, some. I'm not disappointed by the way it looks. Does that make sense? And when I typed the words "the look," I started realizing that I was about to go off on a wrong track; usually I don't worry about a particular look.

Most of the time I'm good at distinguishing between Things That Look Good On Others and Things That Look Good On Me. There are a lot of beautiful kitchens with soapstone here, but I would never, ever, ever pick soapstone if blue granite was available (and it was! yay!). ORB finishes look great in many people's kitchens, but they have no place in my light, bright, airy house with pastel blue walls, satin nickel doorknobs that I changed out all by myself, etc. I'm jealous of older houses in other parts of the country -- heaven is a farmhouse with white wood siding and a bit of blue trim on five acres of land -- but I live in a 1988 stucco sided tract house in California and I wouldn't trade my neighborhood for anything.

I also know that my style (that word is so overused) is not easily pigeonholed. I think it's easier to ooh and ahh over kitchens that fit certain expectations (SGG, Tuscany, Peacock, country kitchens) because we can go through a mental checklist of "does it have all the elements." So a desire to conform to a country aesthetic may be at the root of this. At the same time, I'm definitely a nonconformist.

I'm still hanging out here (not as much as I used to) because I hope I can help others, I enjoy seeing the kitchens come together, and y'all are just plain a nice group of people!

I am going to wait. If I still feel this way in a few years, I'll try with a mockup (the various temporary suggestions are good, thanks).

Again, hugs! to you all for all of your kind words, both practical and psychological.

• rococogurl
    15 years ago

I think you can sometimes tell what something will look like better in a mock up. The one posted here was pretty good.

If you decide to paint the cabinets in the future, you could prepare now by buying whatever quantity of paint it would take from the company that made the cabinets. Get the paint that's the same color as the island. That would be the easiest way and also I'd discuss what would need to be done to the finish with the cabinet company.

Even if you never paint, knowing you can might help.

• rcvt
    15 years ago

Blessings to all of you, those who have completed your kitchen and are willing to share your experiences, those of you in mid-reno who have urgent questions, and those (like me) who are in a planning phase so deep that it almost seems permanent. I love getting to know the voices here and I learn something from every one. Gracias.

• lyno
    15 years ago

Oh, Blue, I'm just reading this.....I'm glad to see you are going to wait for awhile. You have an absolutely beautiful kitchen! I am a "wood" gal, but I know how seeing all these beautiful white kitchens have got me to the point of waffling about what I want somedays.

• claybabe
    15 years ago

Oh *Yay* for you, Blue! Enjoy your beautiful blue-rock-kitchen :)

• budgeteer_s
    15 years ago

Blue, I am glad to hear you have come to some decision on NOT changing the cabinet color. I am biased to wood and wood grain as opposed to painted cabs. People paint cabs when retaining their old cabinets for a change of style. You have beautiful brand new maple cabinets that combined wonderfully with the rest of your kitchen elements. Yours is truly one of the best looking kitchen.

As a fellow Californian I too started to acquire an appreciation for old farm house and white cabinets (never did before). But appreciation does not necessarily translate to actually possessing it. I think it wise that you decided to enjoy and admire your maple cabs for a few years.

BTW Morton5, Just this morning my DH was asking me why I am still lurking on this forum, Aren't we done with the kitchen, he wants to know. Thought you have hit it on the nail about why I obsessively come back to read and ocassionally post. No apologies from you required.

• chinchette
    15 years ago

I was wondering what the rest of your house looks like. Sounds like it goes well with your kitchen.

I fell out of love with my kitchen about 6 months after we moved in. I saw a neighbor's kitchen. It had a sky light. We really could use one but couldn't do it. Her kitchen was bathed in light, and her granite was gold. I came home to my dark cabinets, darkish kitchen, and suddenly all I saw was GREEN. My kitchen was GREEN. Why oh why did I put in green granite and a green floor? My whole house started to look too green. Green limestone on the fireplace...
    I was genuinely disturbed.

That wore off and I'm back to really loving my house and my kitchen. This might sound lame, but I sort of just decided to change my mind, and give it some admiration. Its easier to change my mind than change my kitchen. And cut flowers sometimes helps this disorder....

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Blue, as a fan of white kitchens who is currently building her own white cabs kitchen, there are times I wonder if I'm making a mistake and should have gone with unpainted wood instead! So, I definitely hear you on this one. My feeling is that you could have gone either way -- the fundamentals of your kitchen are so wonderful, it would be a winner in either direction. I'm glad to hear though that you are going to sit with the maple for some time. My take on design/room usage, etc. is that the house (in this case, the kitchen) will tell you what it wants; not the other way around. Over time, your private conversation with your "new" kitchen will deepen and mature and you'll be alot clearer about your choices. In the meantime, "regrets" and all, relax and enjoy your totally beautiful space just as it is. Girlfriend, you've done good!

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Lovely kitchen, Blue. But I know what you mean. I did a very minor kitchen renovation and second-guessed so many things. Someone posted a link to Renofan's kitchen on Decorating where she finally went for it and repainted her perfect white cabinets in a creamy yellow. I think she did the right thing for her house. But the important thing is knowing...............what really is the right thing?

Morton, for what it's worth........I truly enjoyed your post and thought you made some great points. Your closing comments about getting some input from a decorator to help with the process were very good. Every once in a while, I think I've made a poor choice and usually, it's someone else looking at it with different eyes that helps me hone in on the fix. When I was crazily painting splotches all over my kitchen, trying to get rid of the blah feeling that butter yellow gave my dated oak cabinets, a guy on another forum suggested red. I told him with certainty that red wouldn't work 'cause I had splotched red before. But he countered with something/something and I tried a different shade of red. Voila! The right color at the right time. And just a few weeks ago, I was obsessing over my (sort of victorian looking) sideboard and suggesting that I might go with a Drexel sideboard instead........all my dinner party guests voted No. They said that what I had was cool and unusual and way more valuable. They wondered what was wrong with my thinking processes. That conversation settled me down and got me loving my Ebay sideboard again.

Red

• kitchen1921
    15 years ago

I just realized something else, looking at the pics again (sorry if this has been mentioned but I don't have time to read 64 posts right now). The color of your cabinets is very similar to the flooring outside the kitchen and makes a nice visual tie-in. If you went white, the contrast between the different wood floors would be awfully jarring.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Blue, I'm personally very glad you've decided to stick it out with the current color at least for a while. I *love* your kitchen - I love the way the warm light maple cabinets go with the cool blue granite. It's like they were made for each other, a perfect balance, each enhancing the other, more than the sum of the parts...you get the drift.

I'm so sorry it's not what you wanted in your heart, but really, it's such a success! Keep reminding yourself of why you made these choices in the first place. Those reasons are still valid.

I really hope the kitchen grows on you. It's one of my favorites I've seen on GW.

Hugs!

• catheemivelaz
    15 years ago

You are probably SO tired of opinions, which are just that "opinions" but I'm going to add to the drama! We spent so much money on our granite in our home years ago..antique labrador...and when it was finally in, I was so disappointed. Why? Because our maple colored cabs just didn't seem right with the granite (antique labrador is dark like blue sapphire). No POP effect, I guess. I lived with it for about 2 years, kept convincing myself that my kitchen was beautiful and to stop obsessing, and get over it. Finally, I had my cabinets painted white/off white. What a difference! I was finally happy about it, and everyone noticed the difference and complimented my kitchen more than they did when the granite had been installed years before. So that's my experience. Good luck!
    P.S. Soon after, we moved, so I was not able to truly appreciate my change!

• bethv
    15 years ago

blue... I'm so glad you're going to give this a little time. You did such a great job! Your kitchen is really lovely and hangs together so well! Keep us "posted" in another few months. Hugs until then!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

BKO, I was alerted to this thread after posting over on Decorating.

Almost 2 years ago we bought my current house. The cabinets were already white, but had yellowed over time. We were in a rush, and had to paint them. I'd long been wanting yellow cabinets, but DH balked at them, and I was in too much of a hurry to flesh out the design I would have wanted, so I "caved" and just painted them white. (In my last house I had glazed cabinets, so I opted to keep these white.)

I *should* have been happy. After all, I love white kitchens, and that whole sleek "Something's Gotta Give"/Christopher Peacock look is one of my favorites. However, I have saltillo floors that are very, very rustic looking. The crisp white cabinets looked great, and the saltillo floors looked great, but not together. I'm a huge fan of mixing rustic/elegant, but it just never made my heart sing. I lived with the kitchen for over a year before I decided I'd had enough.

I decided I was going to paint them yellow. It didn't matter if it wasn't trendy. It didn't matter about resale. (I'm a Realtor, so that's a subject I know all too well.) It didn't matter that it would be a royal pain in the carcass, or that people kept telling me that the kitchen was not just "fine" as-is, but it was beautiful, and to leave it alone.

It just didn't make my heart sing.

DH and I just finished my cabinets, and now I can say 2 things:

1. They finally look like what I had envisioned, and I couldn't be happier.

2. I'm glad I waited before doing it, as it gave me time to pull together the look I wanted, rather than being rushed into it.

I'd say that if after 6 months or so if you still find yourself swooning over a white kitchen, do it. You'll thank yourself *every* time you walk in.

I'm shocked at how much I love my "new" kitchen, and find myself walking in there just to look at it. I just never felt that way when it was white, though it was pretty.

• golfinglady
    15 years ago

Hi bluekitobsessed

For what it's worth, here's the experience I've had with painting cabinets. When my kitchen was first installed in 1992, its dark green painted cabinets were cutting edge trendy and I loved them for a long time. One day, 2 years ago though I realized I no longer loved them and needed something else pronto. I hired a painter who came in and repainted everything in white, starting first of course with sanding and a high adhesion primer. He used something that slowed the paint drying - sorry forgotten what it was - so that the paint would level out and be more even. While I totally love my "new" white kitchen, if I were to do it again I would paint the boxes on site and send out the doors to be sprayed since even with what he did to level the paint I can still see very faint brush strokes in some places. In terms of durability, it is wearing very well although with just my DH and me we are not that hard on the kitchen. I think that it would wear even better if there was not that first coat of factory applied paint and lacquer.

• claybabe
    15 years ago

Renofan: That looks great!

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Renofan, I saw your during pix (not sure if I commented) and your instincts were right on. The floor needed something a bit less stark white. Your kitchen was beautiful but now it's gorgeous!

I just finished going through the white kitchens on the cotedetexas blog (see willowdecor's post with a link) and now I have to say I'm glad I didn't do anything white. The kitchens in that blog are gorgeous but they're not me. I will continue to ooh and ahh from a distance.

Again, thanks to everyone for your many comments, both practical and therapeutic, and compliments!

Blue

• debsan
    15 years ago

Bluekit, I totally understand that "regret" feeling. I'd really like a do-over on a couple of things. There are two small things that I keep trying to ignore. I'd like to redo them today, but that makes me feel like some kind of spoiled diva. I have a brand-new kitchen with details I selected. I'd like to be thrilled, but I keep thinking that I should have chosen differently.
    There is such a huge investment of money, time and emotion, that at the end it's easy to feel disappointed--or as Morton suggested to second-guess our choices. Whether or not you eventually paint the kitchen, I hope that you will grow to adore your kitchen and be glad for your choices.

• Christine Clemens
    15 years ago

reno_fan,

I don't want to hijack this thread but I want to thank you for posting your photos. You did an amazing job. I started off wanting yellow, veered toward white but your photos really helped me get back on track. The white kitchens I have seen on GW are beautiful but not right for my house.

• jennibg
    15 years ago

Like u, I have dark wood floors (cherry) and have been going back and forth between white and light wood. Until I went to some million dollar houses with yellowing, white cabinets. YUK! I have 3 teens and a dog at home. I don't want to be spending my extra time wiping down the gleaming white cabinets. I saw a pic of someone who did maple cabs and a white island. Good compromise, looked outstanding! I can't seem to find pictures in the gallery, haven't figured it out yet!

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

reno fan, they're beautiful in yellow! I agree, the white was too stark for the floors, which are gorgeous.

BKO, I like what reno fan said about making your heart sing. That's what you should go for.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Jennibg: If the kitchen is in the FKB, then try looking at the "Mixed Cabinets" link in the "Cabinets" section of the FKB Category List.

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category List

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

I don't have too much to add, but I did want to say that I do like your color choices, the granite, and as a pp said, the way the hall floor blends in to your cabinet color.

I was able to really stand my ground about most aspects of my kitchen, but I wasn't able to afford inset cabinets. I still get green with envy every time I see white, inset, floor-to-ceiling cabinets, because I feel like I'm kind of "faking" the look I wanted based on a teacher's budget. Don't get me wrong--my kitchen is 1000 times better than it was and completely great and functional, but there is something you always want that you can't have.

I guess what I wanted to say was that your kitchen doesn't look like you're "faking" it--it doesn't scream "I wish I were white instead of maple!" It looks pulled together, intentional, and cohesive.

Hope that helps--but ultimately, you have to choose what you want to live with. And, in the end, it probably wouldn't be a huge cost-prohibitive job, I wouldn't expect, in the big scheme of things.
    :)
    Sarah

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Blue! I haven't checked in here for a while and thought I'd see if anyone I knew was still posting. I saw your post and your dilema.

First of all--hello! Good to hear from you!

Secondly, I love your kitchen as is and am sorry you regret not getting all white cabs. I can understand how it feels to be talked out of something you wanted. I regret I didn't get the silgranite sink I wanted nor the blind corner cab pull outs that I was talked out of by my KD. Next time (if there ever is a next time) I will stick to my guns!

So, if you are bent on changing your cabs, do so. Have them professionally sprayed.

My opinion, for what it is worth, I LOVE your kitchen the way it is! I don't like the photoshop pictures at all. I think you may have a hard time matching the white cabs to the island and then your tile. It may be a bit too much white.

Have you thought of other things you can do? I am not a fan of glazing but was thinking of taking out the inside panel of some of the doors and putting in opaque glass--maybe with a nice wavy or ridged pattern in it. That would be "white" without painting the entire cab white. It looks like you have no inside panel on the uppers by the sink and maybe carry that over to the stove area. Are the cut outs plain glass or wire or ??? It is hard to tell from the picture.

In any case, I am sorry you have regrets. I hope you are able to resolve them. You might want to check out another designer than the one you used and pay him/her by the hour for some suggestions. Let us know what you decide. Sending you big hugs!

You know, for those of us that remodeled in 2008, I think we should have a once a month reunion on here just to catch up with each other and see how our kitchens have progressed, loves and hates, etc. It would be fun! Lord knows I could use the support as I watch the value of my house slipping daily!

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Mustbnuts! I ended up deciding that I would appreciate white cabinets from afar, but they are not me. I'm still checking the kitchens forum occasionally as I slug through a $500/month bathroom remodel.

Anyone in Southern California interested in a get together, or are we too widespread and diverse and depressed watching our house values plummet?

Blue

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Hey, I am game if it is a weekend when I am home and a place where I can take the train on down to So Cal. I refuse to drive those freeways any more. Not sure anyone wants to travel up to the raisin capital of the world.

The value of the homes in my area dropped 12% just in the month of December, alone! UGH! However, I still love my new kitchen and have been baking up a storm (shows on my waistline) to prepare for my next food contest. Been baking French macarons--the latest craze.

Wonder if we can do a post on remodelers of 2008 just to have folks check in and see how everyone is doing. Maybe on the chat side?

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

blue, I do hair color for a living. I always tell clients "live with it for awhile" when they do something different.

Live with your beautiful kitchen for awhile. I am a white cabinet person who is toying with the ideal of getting a color wood like yours!!!!! I love the warmth your kitchen has. With your dark wood floors, the natural looks very pretty. I think white would have looked too contrasty, IMO.

Anyway, your kitchen looks lovely.