SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Do I really need windows in a kitchen addition?

Fori
11 years ago

So, I'm examining the feasibility of adding on to the house and sticking the kitchen in the addition. This would require removing a few old features of the house that I love. To justify that to myself, I'll have to add on to my insufficient garage because of all the things that could make this house perfect for me, a larger garage is the only thing this house lacks (the rest is cosmetic).

Sooooo, extending the garage means that a kitchen addition will have no windows on 3 walls, as well as being really skinny on one end. Sweet! The new kitchen space would be V shaped between the garage and house. (What would normally be a straight house is bent at the garage due to being on a cul de sac.) I'll have 28' of garage on one side, 22' of house on the other. These are connected at one end by a section 8 feet wide and widen at a 65 degree angle. The distance between the corners of the house and proposed garage is about 17' but can bleb out more (with windows).

Basically an odd shaped dark galley with a nice sunny eating area at the end? We can do skylights and stuff...

This sketch represents the angle as greater than it is (we will not hire this architect since he was incapable of doing simple math, but the general layout is handy). K is where the new kitchen would be. I know the space can work but...that's a long way with no windows. We could certainly do a large opening into the old house which is crayon meltingly bright.

Totally ridiculous? Do I have to lose my garage addition? I can do skylights!

Thanks. F

Comments (15)