SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stale_gw

Fluorescents in the Kitchen

stale
17 years ago

My wife and I are inclined to use Fluorescents in our Kitchen Redesign. For general ambient lighting we seem to have two choices:

1. Recessed Cans with 26W Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

2. Fluorescent Tubes

I've seen the recessed cans in action in a few places, and I was less than impressed. However, I bought 1 can and temporarily installed it in our kitchen to see the strength of the light. The light itself was a nice color, but looking anywhere near the bulb was blinding (we did not experience the same affect with a halogen can). I'm not sure if a baffle would help or not, but I thought this was disconcerting.

I would be happy with Fluorescent Tubes if not for the fact that we have a low ceiling (90 inches). I would like to get the tubes that are flush with the ceiling, but all the ones I see have an awful look to them (we are looking for something very modern). Plus I can't seem to find any flush systems except for one sold at Home Depot and Lowes.

Can anyone suggest some alternatives that would either mellow out the blinding look of the 26W Cans but still retain the brightness; Or show me where I could find very low profile tube systems?

Thanks

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022