SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arcticangel_gw

New home...Any Suggestions?

ArcticAngel
11 years ago

This is my first time here. I am excited to have found a decorating community that looks so active and helpful! My husband and I recently purchased our first home, and everyone in my life is sick of hearing me talk/think out loud about improvements I would like to make to the house, more specifically the kitchen. I manage construction contracts for a living....so I guess it's an occupational hazard!

On to my reason for posting. our kitchen is by no means aweful. Dated yes, but it is decent in size and functionability. However, the previous owners had some rather bold color choices in there that I am trying to work around on a very minimal buget.

The attached picture is from when we where house shopping, so it doesnt have any of our things in it. We have already changed out the range hood with a stainless one (the one pictured didnt work). We plan to slowly replace our white appliances with stainless ones.

We cannot afford to replace the cabinets or the counter tops....so I am stuck with the denim blue corian. Trying to work with what I've got, I'm throwing in red accents but working hard not to make it look patriotic.

I am itching to get rid of the yellow walls. This wall color extends into the family room as well and there is no way to transition it such that the rooms have different colors. What wall color do you guys think would look best in this space? Ive been sorta leaning toward white/offwhite/maybe even light grey. I would also like to eventually update the lighting in the space. I crave an industrial style pendant light over the sink, but what would make a good overhead option? Are there any other accent colors I could add to the space to maybe throw off the patriotic look without making it too busy?

Any advice on how to update this space on a dime would be whole heartedly appreciated!!

This post was edited by ArcticAngel on Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 18:32

Comments (7)