SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenamc_gw

Do I Really Want a Front Load Washer? If So, What Brand?

serenamc
15 years ago

I've always had a top load washer--have liked Whirlpool best--but my son tells me that front loaders are much more energy efficient; do a great job of cleaning and spin more water from clothes thus using less electicity in drying. So I went to look at some front loaders today. We are breaking ground for our new home this week and the contractor wants a list of my appliances.

After the intiial sticker shock I decided to go online and read some reviews. I would prefer not to spend more than $800--$900.

Tonight I read a lengthy forum on stinky laundry. It seems that it is a problem with front loading machines. Is that really a common problem? I don't have that issue with my top loader.

Also everyone talks about HE laundry detergent. What is it? Gosh I've been using plain old Cheer powder for years. I sometime add some Oxyclean.

Now I'm not so sure I want a front loader. Please advise--also would appreciate suggestions for brands.

Thanks,

SerenaMc

Comments (21)

• cynic
    15 years ago

Your son gave you some pretty good info, but it's part of the story. Generally, FLs will do as he says. One important aspect is that they operate differently than TLs and there is a learning curve and they take some getting used to. If you're a flexible person and like to learn new things or are adaptable ti different items, switching could be a good choice. If you're not, then you might give it some thought.

FLs also normally take longer to wash a load than a TL. Depending on the machine and the cycle an hour or two or more are not uncommon. Yes they should spin more out using a higher spin speed if the clothing can handle the higher spin speeds. Not all can. It can wrinkle clothes.

There's also the option of a high efficiency (HE) top loader. These too will need a low sudsing detergent as do the front loaders. While you're learning a new machine it's probably a good idea to use an HE detergent. Be sure to use much much less than in your present top loader. However, there are non-HE detergents that are low sudsing and perfectly fine for use in a FL machine. Cheer Free powder is often recommended as is Charlie's soap and the Sears detergents are often recommended.

HE TL machines include the Fisher & Paykal, GE Harmony, Whirlpool Cabrio, Kenmore Oasis & Maytag Bravos. These can be a good compromise. The GE Harmony has a model with a built in heater that many feel is imperitive. Many more FL have heaters available than TL machines do. But the value of a heater is a debatable subject too.

I assume you have no physical limitations? Bending over not a problem? It might be a good idea to take a typical load of clothes and if you have any large comforters or the like that you wash at home, bring them in and try them out to see if they fit in the washer before you make your decision. Many people like pedestals for FL machines to raise them up making them easier to use. Some don't care. Also if there's a bending issue, Fisher & Paykal have a very nice top load dryer that many people rave about for various reasons. So there's a lot to consider.

There can be a lot of reasons for the smells but my guess is that the primary cause is not airing out the machine after use. I suspect there's an issue with the water too. FL machines are much tighter than top load so you need to wipe off the gasket, possibly empty out the dispensers and leave the door open for a few hours to a day or two to dry out.

Some people think FLs are the best thing since sliced bread. Some won't have them. There's a difference between them and there's a lot of personal preference involved.

Personally, I'd suggest you give them consideration. But examine your needs, budget and the like. What kind of laundry, types of soiling, etc. Could have an impact on what machine, TL or FL you get.

Others will post differences and considerations too. There's things I've forgotten to mention I'm sure. Happy appliance hunting!

• housekeeping
    15 years ago

Cheer powder is a low-sudsing formula that may work quite well for you in a new FL, as long as you cut back the dose a great deal. I use about 1 tablespoon of a low-sudsing (non-HE) name brand detergent powder per load.

Although I'm not sure you can get one for $800-900, I strongly recommend you get a machine with an on-board heater, even if you're used to washing in cold water now. For complicated reasons FLs that can heat water efficiently seem to work better. At least that's my own opinion from reading of the travails of users who post here. My own European-made machines (of models no longer available in the us) can heat to nearly boiling if I choose.

HTH,

Molly

• Related Discussions

Washer - top or front load - What brand

Q

Comments (22)
    Dadoes rebuilds his own machines, so I think his definition o trouble and mine might be different. ;-) I recently switched to a FL and my only regret is that I didn't do it when I bought the last machine. Without spending twice as much for Miele, LG and Whirlpool Duets (not the sprots) were getting the best recommendations here and from the service people I trusted (didn't even ask the bozos who broke my old machine beyond repair -- they were Whirlpool's pick, not mine). In part because of the bad experience with Whirlpool and in larger part because the bug-eyed Duets were the deepest washer out there and I would barely be able to open the doors in my narrow laundry room, I went with LG and gained a couple of inches. The wash large loads, do it well (what I expected from any washer) but what surprises me is how easily and quietly they work. Almost a year later, I can hardly believe how much better they are. FWIW
    ...See More

Front load vs. top load washers

Q

Comments (33)
    Speaking of how much I like the front loader - one of the things I really like about it is that I can wash rugs in it - not the flimsy ones but the ones with stiff backing. They say professional rug cleaning but some of the ones I have are so inexpensive it's not worth the price of professional cleaning. So I tried washing one in the FL once - figured if it fell apart I'd throw it away. It turned out great. So today I washed two rugs I've had in my kitchen for a long time. They're brown oriental type rugs so they hide dirt but they were grungy so I thought I'd wash them. A really weird thing happened. These rugs were (I thought) exactly the same. At least they looked exactly the same before I washed them. One came out beautifully - looks like new. The other one looks entirely different - the colors and pattern are kind of muddy and muted - kind of yucky looking. It almost seems like one was synthetic and one might have been wool - the one that doesn't look very good. So I put the good looking one back in the kitchen and the yucky looking one is in my laundry room. It doesn't look so bad by itself but looks terrible next to the good one. Anyway, FL works great for washing the rugs but you take your chances on whether the rugs are really washable or not. By the way, my normal cycle is 45 mins but there are cycles as short as 30 mins. Drying is fast since the washer spins things so dry.
    ...See More

Loading a front load washer

Q

Comments (11)
    This advice would upend a lot of people's laundry routines. For some it's impossible to follow without buying new clothes and linens, or a smaller washer. And it doesn't make sense to me. Even with a 2/3 full drum of identical items, the spin won't start out perfectly balanced. The asymmetric forces from such a load could be just as bad, or worse, as from a smaller load. And, during the tumble phases, the big load exerts more force on the bearings than a small load. So I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think this is it. BTW, Cavimum, I doubt that you have a Miele with a 4 cu ft drum. The W48XX series drum is a little over 3 cu ft. The originally advertised 4 cu ft was IEC capacity, which means it holds as much as an agitator washer with a 4 cu ft drum. IEC isn't used anymore in the US. For a present-day example, look at the LG WM3170CW on the US and Canadian LG sites. It's 4.3 cu ft in the US, and IEC 5.0 cu ft in Canada.
    ...See More

I do not want a front loading w/d Top loader!

Q

Comments (5)
    Homechef...very true most of the reviews for SQ are glowing. much more so than most other washer reviews. Personally I like the SQ TL'er. I of course bought one last summer..LOVED IT until it developed a problem which may have been a defect or user error...even a great washer like SQ can put out the occasional lemon. My problem was the service tech that had no idea what to do so he kept throwing parts at it. I believe had this guy knew what he was doing I'd still have the washer. I would still recommend a SQ for someone looking for a traditional top loader, that being said I also recommend you find a good dealer that will stand behind you should a problem arise.
    ...See More
  • chambleemama
    15 years ago

I love my Whirlpool Duet 9200. I've washed everything from a sleeping bag to bleachable towels to silk scarves and even a cashmere sweater (that I'd bought at a thrift shop). There are very gentle cycles as well as ones for extra sanitizing. I think it's much gentler on clothes, and it easily takes comforters and sleeping bags.

I use powdered Charlie's soap, 1 tablespoonful per load, and I always rinse twice. I never use fabric softener, although I sometimes add a diluted allergy additive to that slot. Sometimes I'll put white vinegar in there.

Once a month, do a "clean washer" cycle with nothing in it. The machine says "bleach only," but they give you a tablet of Affresh when you buy it. You drop that in the basket. I've also used Whirlout, 4 tablespoons, in that cycle. You have to leave the door ajar so air can get into the washer between uses. If you take care of the machine, I don't believe it will ever develop an odor. Read up on FLs, call your serviceman, talk with different stores. My husband insisted on buying the pedestal, and I'm very glad he did. It's a nice storage place, and it lifts the washer up where it's easier to load and unload.

• serenamc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question about front loading machines. Your comments were very helpful to me. I think I can accept the change from top load to front load and the energy and water savings are important to me. Also I've heard that the new top load machines don't clean as well as they used to because of energy and water restrictions. I'm leaning toward a Bosch 300 series but will continue to explore, read and learn.
    Thanks again,
    SerenaMc

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

We love our LG frontloader. Definitely worth the money. The HE detergents are less sudsing than regular detergent, but the less you use the better anyway, just like in top loaders.

To keep the inside from smelling, leave the door open after you use the washer, and run a towel around the door and rubber gaskets to prevent mold or mildew from forming. Also, I have discovered that if I leave the detergent cup open it dries it out too, another source for possible mold growth.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I remember thinking many of the same things you are - including sticker shock. And especially horrified at spending that much money and having mold and mangled clothes as described here. I actually found these forums the first time when I was looking for washer/dryer reviews. I decided to take the plunge and go for it - that was probably five years ago - and got the Sears equivalent of the Whirlpool Duet (chose Sears brand because I liked the look of it better and it had more heavy duty handles.).

I've been very happy with the choice and recently replaced an old toploader that died at my weekend lake place with a Frigidaire Affinity - smaller size fit my space better. I'm so much happier with FL. I've not had any of the problems people describe - other than the Sears dryer died within a day and had to be replaced. Since then no problems. I do leave the door open as people have described to prevent mold.

My clothes are cleaner and less wear and tear on them in the FL. I no longer have to worry about things ending up twisted around an agitator or the washing machine going out of balance. I like that it uses the right amount of water for the load so I can wash any size load whenever I want without thinking I'm wasting water or not going to have enough water for the size load. I can also wash large comforters, rugs, etc. - something I simply could not do in my old TL. I buy a bucket of Sears HE detergent - it works great and lasts about a year.

• hrhkee
    15 years ago

I owned a H4T set. Absolutely loved these machines. Washed clothes (especially white clothes) best. Sold them when we moved south and now I am leaning towards the equivalent LG set. We will never use TL machines again because they do not compare to the heating and thorough washing provided by FL machines. I also decided we will buy machines that cost much less than the $2500 we spent for the Kenmore set. This new LG set is $1800.

• matt_r
    15 years ago

Not sure why everyone is saying they are so expensive. I just bought one for about $600. And consumers just rated the Frigidaire Gallery model a best buy and it is rated in the top batch, and runs between 500-600. If you are not a trend setter, and a plain white basic front loader is all you desire, stick with something simple, like the one mentioned. If you want a fancy dancy colorful one, they you will pay.

• plumbly22
    15 years ago

IIRC the bosch 300 does not have an internal heater??? but I haven't really looked at them for over 2 years now...

I have the bosch 500 series and would easily buy it again today... a very basic machine with a heater, does most everything 'automatically' except put the clothes and soap in and take the clothes back out... pick your cycle type and water temp and go....

• kimcoco
    15 years ago

I switched from a top loader to a front loader he by LG. I wish the door opened the opposite direction.

What I would NOT recommend are the matching fancy $800 dryers. I spoke with a few salespeople about this and I think they're a waste of money, and for a lot less $ a regular dryer is going to do the same job. The size difference is maybe a towel or two in capacity. What's the point for $400 more?

I use high efficiency seventh generation laundry soap, free & clear, and I love it. Get it at my local grocery store. ONLY use recommended dosage for concentrated detergent.

Some sales people will tell you that you can fit 20 towels in a front load washing machine, but honestly, you can probably fit 20 towels in your top loader too but it doesn't mean they are going to clean that well. Keep that in mind. Can I fit a few extra towels in my front loader? Yes, but I still wouldn't pack it because they just don't come out as clean.

I'm still kind of torn. I like the top loader because I have pets. Washing in a lot of water helps remove a lot of the pet hair. Washing in a front loader, even when I use the "water plus" option doesn't get all the hair off. In that respect, I miss my top loader.

I've washed a big bulky comforter in my front loader. Honestly, probably would not do it again. Just the fact that there's not much water in there and the comforter was so bulky (queen) that I didn't feel it got as clean as it could have. Not enough water for something that bulky. It fit yes, but...not enough room to move around, and my LG front loader was advertised to handle a queen size comforter.

I like the fact that it's energy efficient, low water usage, though I use the "water plus" feature EVERY time. I'm not confident that the small amount of water in the regular load is going to cut it. So I compensate and use more.

I miss being able to do quick small loads completely saturated in water where I can control the water level. But, I'm still happy with my purchase overall. There are pros and cons to both.

I also miss being able to "soak" things in my top loader, my whites in oxy clean for example, before I wash them. Can't do that in the front loader because the water level sits below the laundry (laundry tumbles through it in wash cycle).

I would not recommend using a non high efficiency detergent.

• turbonium
    15 years ago

A few years ago I picked up a lightly-used Miele W/D set (W1918 Novatronic and the matching dryer) out of a classified ad for $1100 or so. I had to drive from San Francisco to Orange County to pick them up, and I needed to buy an adapter box for the dual 220V supply... but I tell you, I'd never go back to a conventional agitator topload again.

I saw perpetually dingy cotton whites come out looking brand new after a 190 F wash, saw "permanent" stains come out of clothing items we'd just about given up on. Drawerfuls of wool, cashmere, angora, and other knitwear are now washed regularly without harm or bother, instead of sitting in piles waiting for a trip to the dry-cleaners. Ditto for intimates, hand-wash stuff, etc. And I still get a kick out of the "jet engine" sound effect if I'm out there when the 1600 rpm spin cycle hits.

I think it's worth having 2-hour wash cycles if my clothes actually get _clean_. And if I can't wait, there's a rapid-wash option that cuts the time in half, at least on the Miele. Only thing I wish for occasionally is a larger capacity, so I could wash my down-filled king duvet...but there's the laundromat for that, and plenty of modern FLs are huge

I don't know about the smell problems people have reported--my washer was a bit funky when I picked it up because the previous owner had let it sit closed up in a hot garage with moisture inside. I had to dismantle and clean parts of it when I got it home, but there's been absolutely no problem with it since (we always leave the soap drawer and front door open when the machine is idle).

• turbonium
    15 years ago

Concerning the "fancy" dryers... I don't know exactly what the poster above me means by the term, and I'm not wedded to bells and whistles when it comes to drying clothes... but the Miele dryer has been a real improvement in my experience.

Even the most thorough cycle (Cotton, extra dry) dries without baking the clothing in furnace-like heat with all the attendant wear and shrinkage. I haven't had an accident with shrinking anything since I dumped the old Kenmore gas dryer... and the cat hair that doesn't get removed in the wash seems to come out fine in the dryer lint-catcher. Sometimes we toss line-dry stuff back in for a 15-minute cool-air cycle just for lint/hair removal. Also there is zero static buildup even in the dryest weather, with no need for Bounce sheets.

• texanjana
    15 years ago

I got rid of my $1,300 Maytag FL. I had the smell problem, and I did all of the things you are supposed to do - always left the door open, ran bleach through it, cleaned around the gasket, etc. A repairman told me it is a design flaw. It cost my family thousands of dollars in ruined clothing, once the moldy smell is in the clothes it cannot be removed so we had to throw them away. I just had the deliverypeople take it away when they brought my new TL. I don't know if this smell problem has been resolved, but I noticed the same horrible smell in my neighbor's laundry room and on her kids (in their clothes), and she has a new FL.

• mc58
    15 years ago

I had the mold issue with an older Frigidaire FL, I got rid of it because of that. But I did not throw anything away! The smell did go away after washing everything in the new washer FL. I dont have the problem now and I hope that I never do again.
    That is too bad that you threw away all your clothes.

• mayguy
    15 years ago

If budget really going to be an issue, look into the FridGEMore 3.5. This washer is around $500-$600. I have this model, and it does a great job. Just the two of us here so, a super sized unit is not needed.

No mold/order issues here..
    -Use hot wash once in awhile (I always use hot on whites)
    -Wipe door/gasket down when done washing for the day
    -Remove and dump water from the digertent drawer.
    -Use HE detergent.
    -Leave door open when done washing.

I run Affresh in my washer every other month to prevent any possable order.

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

There's a rarely-mentioned problem with low-end (heaterless) HE washers: If it takes a while for your water to start running hot, then your "hot" washes are going to consist of mostly cold water. It's less of an issue with traditional machines, because they use so much water that the initial spurt of cold is a smaller proportion of the wash water. This caused us to rule out the Frigidaire GLTF2940, which has a decent rating and consumer reviews. In addition, the various FL issues and the proposed solutions (e.g. use special soap, and/or use such a small amount of soap that I can't imagine it would clean) have scared us away from them altogether. I'm not happy about that, because I'd certainly like the more gentle washing and faster spins, and using less water wouldn't be a bad thing. We have well water from an adequate well, so it's less compelling than if our water was metered.

• socks
    15 years ago

Quoting from Suburbanmd above--

"If it takes a while for your water to start running hot, then your "hot" washes are going to consist of mostly cold water. It's less of an issue with traditional machines, because they use so much water that the initial spurt of cold is a smaller proportion of the wash water."

Is this why people are recommending washers with heaters?

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

No, the selling point for heaters is the ability to do a super-hot wash, for sanitizing or for whiter whites.

• richierich53
    15 years ago

Here is a trick to get as hot as possible wash for your whites if your water heater is a distance away from your front load washer without an internal heater.

Just purge the water line. A similar principle as running your kitchen faucet a minute on hot before running the dishwasher.

With the washing machine empty, start it on a hot wash and let water enter the tub until the window steams a bit (it takes mine about 20-30 seconds.) Stop the machine and cancel the cycle. Start it again set at "drain and spin," and cancel it as soon as the tub drains. Then load the machine with clothes, reset for hot wash and you are set.

This whole little process takes about one minute and I pretreat any stains on the clothes while I do it, so no time wasted. And you get a piping hot wash for whites.

A heater in a washer can heat the water much hotter than what is delivered by the water heater, good for sanitizing laundry. But I wouldn't advise passing up a good deal on a machine without a heater just to get a true hot wash for a load of whites when you can this.

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

Actually, I'm not sure that a model with heater will solve the problem entirely. For example, the LG 2455 manual says "Your washer features a heating element to boost the hot water temperature for Extra Hot settings. This provides improved wash performance at normal water heater settings." That's fine for a really hot wash, but will the machine also ensure that a "warm" wash is truly warm, rather than cold, and that a plain "hot" wash (not extra hot) is truly hot? Can someone knowledgeable answer this, for any of the front-loader brands?

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

On second thought, I think the heater question deserves its own thread, and I'm starting one now.