SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bert76_gw

Anti vibration mats? Other ideas?

bert76
14 years ago

Hi, all. I've searched the forum for information about anti-vibration mats to use with front loaders, but I can't seem to find the link I saw before about where to buy and if they are really worth it.

My situation: I have a GE FL that gave us no vibration problems at all until we moved to a new-to-us house that had the laundry on the top floor on a makeshift platform. There is no access to the underside of the platform unless we rip out the ceiling below, which my husband is against.

The washer shakes so bad sometimes that my brother thought a military helicopter was right over our house when I had a load of towels going.

I have a level and crow bar next to the washer and level it about weekly, which helps only minimally for a load or two, and then it shakes itself out of level again (I suspect that the makeshift platform floor on which the washer sits is quite spongey).

Money is tight so we can't do the total remodel I'd like to do, so I need an interim solution. Could that be the anti-vibration mats I remember reading about on this forum?

I've also wondered if simply putting a sheet of sturdy plywood under the whole washer would help or hurt? I'd have to fasten it with liquid nails because of the various pipes that run underneath the platform.

My other thoughts are to ditch the front loader and go with an agitator-less top loaders (I have four kids and tons of laundry so high capacity is a must). That certainly would be cheaper than hiring a contractor to fix the floor.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Bert

Comments (4)