SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ineffablespace_gw

Almost nothing will be left (?)

ineffablespace
10 years ago

Last summer,I moved into a house I have owned for several years.

The inspection had shown a couple significant condition issues, but generally a lot of people would move into the house as-is and that would have been it.
I knew that the bathrooms needed a complete overhaul, and that the air conditioning system was at the end of its life. The deck was rotting and so were a number of door sills.

After living in the house for a while I realized that the heating aspect of the HVAC also didn't function well. I started putting a bathroom in the basement in anticipation of gutting the existing bathrooms essentially at the same time.

During the winter a leak developed and there was a slow but continual drip into the basement. Because of the design of the HVAC and plumbing the drip in this location could have been:
1) the roof drain (this leaked in two torrential rains over the past couple years when the system was overwhelmed)

2) The roof around the vent stack (this leaked once or twice when an ice dam formed on the roof)

3) a leak in either bathroom.

Again, because of the design of things, the leak was getting water into the heating ducts, the cold air return duct (primarily) --and various electrical cables that are run through the cold air return.

During the exploration to find the source of the leak, I found that several cold air returns had been disconnected during the various kitchen and bath remodelings. I also found that a heat duct was in the way of the recessed medicine cabinet so they just cut a hole in the duct and shoved the cabinet into the duct.

So:
The HVAC system is going to be completely reworked with a staged, zoned system.

The electrical is underserviced in that 50 year old way and since most of the cables for the kitchen and baths run with the waterlines and drains it should be moved anyway (Plus they run inside a cold air return).

The plumbing problem was a pinhole in a supply line for one of the bathrooms. Visible through a small exploratory hole in the ceiling. Accessible for repair (since there was so much other stuff in the way), only by making a hole through one of the bathroom floors (a full wet-bed of mortar and mesh)

So, a new furnace, a new AC unit, new ductwork. Completely new electrical for the bathrooms and kitchen. Both bathrooms starting back at the joists and studs.

So, because all of the plumbing for the bathrooms and kitchens is going to be new, the plumber says "You might as well change the stack, because it will be the only thing left between the basement and roof and it will be the weak link.

I feel like I bought an expensive shell.

Comments (8)