SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zaptor99_gw

Humidity Level Help

zaptor99
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm having trouble keeping the humidity level up in my 3 storey + basement townhouse. Here are some details:

1) Size is about 2000 sq in 4 floors. Not the best insulated house, but not too bad. built in 1987

2) Had a GeneralAire 1042 whole house humidifier installed by a professional 2 years ago.

3) In winter, with the humidifier on, the RH% won't go above 25%. The house feels very dry

4) I also run a portable bionaire humidifier (4 gal output) all day and night. It helps raise the RH% to about 30%

5) Changed the filter on both units last week, no change in humidity.

6) The GeneralAire does seem to be working, although I don't know how efficient it is. It seems to drain a lot of water down the drain. I tried all kind of settings on the humidifer (M3 humidistat) but nothing seems to help.

7) The GeneralAire is set to work with the furnace cycle only.

8) I boiled 2 pots of water for about an hour. The RH% jumped to 53%. When I removed the pots, the RH% went back to 30% in about 1 hour.

Any experts here can suggest anything? I deally I'd like the RH% maybe around 40 in the winter and would be nice if I can use the GeneralAire alone without having to use a portable one.

Comment (1)