SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Potato is acidic. Cleaned marble with floor cleaner.

breezygirl
11 years ago

Potato is acidic. Who knew? The morning of my family Christmas party right before the actual holiday, I decided to try out the food processor for slicing potatoes instead of going through 10 pounds of potato by knife. (For years I've used my mandolin for tasks like this, but I packed the darn thing more than 2 years ago as we moved out for the reno and I still can't find it. It must be at the bottom of one of the few remaining miscellanous boxes in the garage I have yet to tackle.) Later that night when DH was doing the fourth DW load, he wiped down the Carrara to find large circles the exact shape of the fp lid etched into the counter right where I set the lid between potato batches. Potato is acidic.

I don't mean to ramble in a "whoa is me" kind of fashion, but my holidays got worse from there. Little DD began throwing up near bedtime in Christmas Eve. Her bed, converted that morning from a crib to a daybed, was soaked. She vomited all night so between wrapping gifts and filing stockings, I did loads and loads and loads of laundry; changed her bedding repeatedly; cleaned carpets; cleaned the bathroom floors, counter and sink repeatedly; and held her every 90 minutes or so while she puked. Fun times. She was much better by Christmas morning.

It had been years since we had snow on Christmas so we were delighted with a couple hours of snowflakes while opening gifts. The kids were beyond the moon with excitement. I love watching them so happy, which helped ease the sadness we all felt missing my father. We enjoyed the day with family members stopping by, tasty nibbles, and lots of playing with new toys. DH and the kids even bought me a used ipad 4! Now I can take more kitchen pics. :)

DS and DH came down with the flu virus the next evening after we had a small dinner party so I got to repeat the sleepless Christmas Eve night with DD only without having to wrap presents along with the laundry, cleaning, scrubbing, sanitizing, and bed changing. They both were sick into the next day so we were stuck at home, even DH took the rare 1/2 sick day.

OK, enough whining. 2012 was a rough year for me and didn't end well. Moving on.

Now to end with something else kitchen related.

With all the entertaining, cooking, cookie baking, sickness, etc going on, my kitchen needed a little extra cleaning I hadn't gotten time to do for the past week so today I moved all the fruit bowls, veggie bowls, cookie cutter bins, sprinkles, and appliances off the marble perimeter to do a thorough scrub down. After the spraying and wiping was almost all done, I went after a particularly dirty spot along the rangetop edge. I happened to look down at the bottle in my hand and noticed that it was Bona wood floor cleaner. I just spent 10 minutes cleaning my entire marble counter with wood floor cleaner. I'm tired and my brain is fried. Fortunately, the marble seems unharmed, but I do NOT recommend any of you try this at home. ;)

In conclusion, potato is acidic, and don't clean your marble with wood floor cleaner. Anybody besides me do anything stupid over the holidays?

Comments (16)