SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dudleyfuddpucker

fisher & paykel iwl16/deix2 - intital impressions

16 years ago

Got my new F&P washer/dryer set delivered just yesterday, and had the old set picked up an hour later (sold it it less than a day thanks to Craig's List). Couldn't have asked for that to work out any better!

Have been spending the last two days catching up on a week's worth of laundry, and so far I gotta say...I LOVE it!

The top-loading setup for both units is fantastic, and couldn't be easier on the back. And quiet? Wow, with the washer the only thing I hear during the agitation phase is the sloshing of water, broken up by the occasional humming of a pump as it drains down for the next phase. Even the dryer is one of the quietest I have ever heard. It makes a few clunks while latching and unlatching the drum, but after spinning up the overall noise level is easily 1/3 that of my old front-load dryer. My wife couldn't believe the difference.

I've been a controls engineer for 25 years, and as such I would love to see the algorithm F&P uses to determine the fabric type. I've tried varied loads, and every time it selects the exact right agitation type; FIRM for our jeans, Dockers, etc. LIGHT for my wife's lingerie, PJs, etc. Very impressive. It almost makes all the Lifecycle options seem superfluous, as other than selecting the appropriate temps, pressing START is about all I need to do and it picks everything else just right every time.

The only question I have for you other F&P users out there is, what detergent have you found to work best for this washer? Even when cutting back a bit I still notice the Eco Active phase of the wash makes a TON of suds using plain old Tide. They go down after it fills for the agitation portion, but I can't help but wonder if 10" of suds on tops of the clothes has any influence on the effectiveness of said Eco Active wash. Has anyone found another brand that does better and makes less foam?

Comments (3)