SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
comkow_gw

Weil-McLain Boiler - On The Blitz??

comkow
15 years ago

Our Weil-McLain 68V oil-fired boiler was 14yrs old last month. House is 14yrs old, 2-story, 3100sf, but 400sf are in a bonus room above the garage, which we keep the door closed during the winter time.

We do have it maintained yearly and in the past two years have needed it serviced every 6months.

This past week we have noticed that when the boiler shuts-off, it shuts off with a "hard" stop. When the boiler turns off, it just seems to shut off abruptly thus the "hard" shut-off sound and it seems to be cycling a bit more. Almost like when a plane shuts its engines down, although obviously not AS loud Yes, it has been chilly since Friday, but avg temps b/f then. We also only keep the heat at 64 downstairs and 62 upstairs (during the day)

We have had this issue in the past and once found that it was a clogged nozzle, even though it had been replaced only 6mos prior. We thought the boiler was running "hard" this past summer, just with the hot water, but the HVAC guy couldn't find anything wrong.

The HVAC guy told us it could be sludge that settled from years of oil and possibly the quailty of the inside of the delivery trucks. This past summer we had about 35gallons of the bottom of the oil tank vacuumed out so we would be in "good shape" this winter.

Each time the HVAC guy comes he tells us we are running at 82% efficiency, which now after researching a bit might find that incorrect since most NEW boilers only operate at 85%.

I have read that oil-burners should last 20-30 years if maintained properly, although I have just read the post "our furnace is toast" whose furnace is only 10 years old and has a hole.

We are also curious how we find out if this boiler was/is properly sized for our house.

We do have the option of converting to natural gas if need be, but really trying to figure out what might be the problem first since it seems to be a annual/semi-annual problem. Right now though, b/c it is cycling so much, I know we will end up having a higher electric bill next month, which is why I want to try to resolve this soon.

Thx.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths