SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmy23

Trying to Eke out a few more degrees with Radiant

tmy23
14 years ago

Greetings, Happy Holidays to all...

Did a complete gut and remodel of our kitchen this summer and installed an underfloor hydronic system. Until this week, system heated room well. Winter seemed to arrive this week and I can't get much above 65 degrees (air temperature). Manufacturers site for my flooring (wood look laminate) recommend that the "surface" that the flooring is installed on is not above 90 degrees. Temperature sensor is reading 90 degrees.

The floor construction is 3/4" red oak (original 125 year old planking), in various places building felt to level the surface, then 1/2" plywood subfloor, foam underlayment and then the laminate. The sensor is on the bottom of this cross section. It is mounted in a 4"x4" area where the metal heat transfer surface was removed, thus the sensor is mounted directly to the bottom of the red oak planking. Downward heat loss is limited by 3.5" fiberglass batts between the floor joists.

Here is my question. With a 90 degree measurement on the bottom of the red oak planking, what might the temperature of the top of the 1/2" subfloor be? Is there some heat transfer loss through this cross section, OR does the whole floor eventually reach 90 degrees. Obviously where I am heading is whether I can nudge the slab sensor limit up a bit? I don't have any way to directly measure the temperature of the subfloor without pulling up the laminate. THANKS for all help

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022