SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paula_pa

I survived Nick's birthday party

paula_pa
14 years ago

I can't believe how much stress a 6-year old's birthday party caused me but I'm so glad it's over. I actually loved planning the party, buying all the stuff, baking and decorating the cake and cupcakes,etc. If only it wasn't so hard to get kids to come! I stressed that there wouldn't be enough guests to make it a party.

I sent out 25 invitations (with some going out to multiple children in the same family so about 30 kids were invited). I got unsolicited responses from only 9 and I ran into two parents and asked them if their kids were coming. 14 never responded at all. 10 kids were expected but 5 kids (from 3 families) who said they were coming didn't show. We picked up 2 siblings who were going to kill time elsewhere with their mom during the party but I said STAY! So with Nick and Dan we had 9 kids but they acted like a group of 50 so maybe it wasn't a bad thing LOL.

I thought it was a great party. The kids had so much fun. It was at the local YMCA, after closing. They had the gymnasium to themselves, along with a closet full of balls of all sizes, jump ropes, etc. I bought lots of balloons - kids that age love balloons. They hit each other with them or just blow them up to let the air fly out of them.

They played for an hour in the gym then we had a conference room for an hour where we had pizza, snacks, cake, cupcakes, ice cream. We played one game of pin the tail on the donkey for prizes. I had another game but they were way too rambunctious to get through it so we stopped. We opened the gifts, some kids got tattoos, I passed out goody bags and everyone went home.

The poor response just baffles me. Is a phone call or e-mail that difficult? And why not come? Sure you have to bring a gift but it doesn't have to be expensive. In return your kid gets two hours of fun, fed very well and sent home with a goody bag and maybe a prize. Parents can leave and have two hours of peace or else stay and eat too. That's a great deal if you ask me! Believe me, the kids who came had a blast. Lordy, those boys were keyed up.

I wondered if it was something personal but talking to other local moms with older kids, that's just the way it is around here. One mom said if she gets 5 to come, that's a success.

I ended up doing a simple cake. I just couldn't come up with any good ideas that I could execute with my limited artistic abilities.

I had cupcakes too:

They had this entire space to themselves (and made good use of it):

Comments (13)