SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamconsulting_gw

All inclusive premium Goodman 3-ton split system for $6k inclu

hamconsulting
11 years ago

I still haven't fixed my broken AC system, so I'm back posting my latest development. After 4-months of research, I finally decided to get a new a/c system.

A friend of mine referred me to an a/c installer who deals mainly with Goodman equipment. This installer initially recommended basic level Goodman equipment, but I asked to upgrade to a premium level Goodman equipment.

The warranties are pretty impressive for these Goodman units. Also, these Goodman units are sold under the premium Amana brand.

Anyways, this installer has 25 years of experience in HVAC and refrigeration and comes highly recommended by my friend. Price also reflects that we are in a lower demand for a/c systems compared to August 2012 when my a/c broke and I started getting quotes.

The installer gave me a quote for $6k to do the following:
1. Replace my existing condenser and install a new Goodman SSX140361B, 15-seer, 3-ton condenser, 73 db, single-stage, 29x29x32�, mid level model, Copeland scroll compressor covered by lifetime compressor limited warranty, 10-year parts limited warranty.

2. Replace my existing gas furnace and install a new Goodman GMVC80604B, 60k btu gas furnace, 4-ton blower, 2-stage variable speed, mid-level model, lifetime heat exchanger ltd warranty, 10-yr unit replacement heat exchanger ltd warranty, 10-yr parts ltd warranty.

3. Replace my existing evaporator coil in the attic with either of these two units:
a) Goodman Case Horizontal Evap Coil CHPF3642D6C, All-Aluminum (fins and tubes), 10-yr parts ltd warranty.
b) Aspen Case Horizontal Evap Coil C*36A34+TDR, aluminum fins, copper tubing, 10-yr parts ltd warranty.

4. New line set to match above equipment.

5. Replace all ducts in attic, but re-use existing supplies/registers/boots and re-use two 12x24 return vents.

6. Remove and dispose of old equipment, old ducts, and old lineset.

He's recommending the 3rd party Aspen evap coil and he's convinced me that the copper tubing in the Aspen coil is better than the aluminum tubing on the Goodman coil.

AHRI Ref=5039204, Goodman SSX140361B*, Goodman Evap Coil CHPF3642D6C*, Goodman Furnace GMVC80604B*B*, EER=12.20, SEER=14.5

AHRI Ref=4922045, Goodman SSX140361B*, Aspen Evap Coil C*36A34+TDR, Goodman Furnace GMVC80604B*B*, EER=11.80, SEER=15.00

This sounds like a good deal to me. I originally didn't want to go with Goodman equipment, but these are not the low-end Goodman models.

I originally wanted to go with Trane, American Standard, or Rheem, but most of the quotes that I got for these top brands were a lot more.

Trane wanted $7.5k for a 13-seer 3-ton system with a high efficiency 80k btu gas furnace, but re-using existing ducts and re-using existing lineset. No rebates.

Rheem wanted $11k for a 3-ton 15-seer a/c system with a 50k btu gas furnace with new ducts and new lineset. I could get up to $3k in rebates. I just wasn't sure if I could get all the rebates since they require that you to meet certain energy efficiency levels. Net price about $8k.

American Standard wanted $9.5k for a 3.5 ton 15-seer a/c system and 80k btu gas heater. Re-use ducts and re-use lineset. Installer dismissed my comments about furnace and a/c being over-sized. No rebates.

Amana wanted $7.4k for a 3-ton 14-seer a/c system with a 60k btu gas furnace. New lineset and new ducts included in price.

I also got a quote from a Costco referral program from a local company for a Lennox 3-ton 13-seer a/c system with a 70k btu gas furnace for $9.4k. This included new ducts and a new lineset. Costco rebate of $900 cash card plus rebates up to $1500 from electric/gas companies. Net price about $7k.

So, I followed the advice from this forum to find a good installer and not to get builder grade equipment.

I hope I have no regrets. Goodman has good reviews at http://www.hvac-for-beginners.com/air-conditioner-ratings.html, but has below average recommendation levels at http://www.furnacecompare.com.

Comments (12)