SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nepool

Do I need Swiss Cheese/Ceiling Acne lights ?

nepool
16 years ago

I posted this on the lighting forum as a follow up to a lighting question. I thought I'd bounce it off all you TKO people!

Am I making a mistake by not adding recessed lights during my kitchen remodel?

Right now I have 1 light over the sink, 1 large overhead light in the center of the kitchen work area (U shaped kitchen) and one overhead light over the adjoining kitchen table. In the new kitchen, I will have an island (under where the current overhead light is), same sink position, same table position.

I was thinking my new lighting would be: 1 light over sink, undercabinet lights, 1 chandelier or pendants over island, 1 coordinating chandelier over kitchen table. Everyone (on this site and every new kitchen I see) seems to have all that PLUS a ton of recessed lights? What are their purpose? Do they really help you see better when you are cooking? Am I making a huge mistake by omiting them? My ceilings are low... 7 1/2 feet.

Thanks so much for your input... don't want to offend anyone, but, sometimes I think of recessed lights as ceiling acne LOL :) Also, I had bad experiences with HOT recessed lights at a friend's house. I felt like I was in Cancun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighting Forum thread

Comments (13)