SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kenstl_gw

HVAC replacement options, what to shop

9 years ago

I am in a 15 year old house and starting to plan for replacement of the HVAC system and hot water heater and would like an opinion of what I should shop for in ac/furnace and/or heat pump.

Details:
Weather : Live in St. Louis MO area (63368)
Utilities: natural gas and electric with solar panels installed
Current System: Carrier 3.5 ton 10 Seer r-22 ac and a Carrier 110,000 BTU 80% furnace at 89,000 BTU and a 40 gallon gas hot water heater (Bradford White .59 value)

House: Atrium ranch 1,800 SF main floor with vaulted living room, another 1000 SF finished on lower level. Rear faces south, so we get good sun. Since the lower level is opened to the main floor and we have a lot of windows, we do get a drafty feel in LL in winter and the LL stays cooler in summer with some thermal heat on the main floor from the windows.

Electric is 10.2 cents kWh. I use between 12,100 and 13,000 kWh a year or $1,250 a year. I had Solar panels installed 3 months ago, 8.67 system. Time will tell on how it will effect my use on the grid, but it should produce about 80% of my needs. I have had a Zero bill Aug/Sept/Oct.

Gas - natural gas at $1.09 per Therm. I used 780 Therms last year, a little more the year before. Last year was $850 in total gas bill.

Should I stay with std AC and gas furnace or consider a heat pump or dual fuel? My utilities seem low so I would think the recover time on a high end system would be very long. I would like opinion on a system that would run a low speed fan all of the time as I think it could make the overall space more comfortable.

Thanks for your time and input!

Comments (13)