SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

How to paint furniture so it looks antique

kathec
13 years ago

I just got back from a trip to Bethesda, MD where I had a chance to visit some of the fancy schmancy shops in town, namely Random Harvest and Tone on Tone. I saw so many great examples of painted furniture, some real Swedish antiques like at Tone on Tone and some newer pieces made to look older. I'd love to be able to do this. I have inherited a dining table and chairs from a great aunt. The set is older, maybe from the 50's or 60's, but not antique. The style is definitely traditional, so I think this technique would look good. I totally get the idea of sanding off the paint to make the edges worn, but what about glazing over? What colors look good together? Some of the pieces I saw had a whitish color glazing. What about paint color suggestions? I'd love some soft white or blue or grayish, but need suggestions. Although I've painted a ton of walls and trim, I don't have much furniture. Mostly spray painted metal.

Here's a couple of pictures. I used some of the pieces to stage a house I sold, so I split them up as needed. The wood color is not as dark as it appears in the pictures.

The chairs

The table

Inspiration

Comments (10)