SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunshines_gw

A costly mistake

sunshines
13 years ago

I accidentally locked myself out of my car, and what is really stupid is all three of my keys were in my purse inside of the car. Called a locksmith and it cost me $75. I will submit a claim to my insurance company and will be reimbursed though.

Need to hide a key somewhere on the outside of my car.

Has this ever happened to you?

Comments (29)

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

Thank goodness, I have a keyless entry and remote won't let me leave keys in the car.

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

Oh, I used to lock myself out all the time. I do have a second key someplace else than in my car. :)

Thankfully!

Moni

• Related Discussions

Costly mistake - Kohler stages 45"

Q

Comments (13)
    Yeah, too bad you are not closer! I do LOVE the sink. I had to clean the old refrigerator to give to my sis, and it was amazing being able to fit the shelves and bins in the sink to wash. Soooo much easier than it was in my small sink. I'm very happy with it. I had a lead on selling it, but they decided they do not have the room for 45" sink. My contractor took pictures in case he talks to someone redoing the kitchen. As soon as things settle down I will try Craig's list or ebay. I'm also going to tell my kitchen designer/cabinet supplier when he comes for the punch list. If I can sell it for $900-950 I will be very happy. One of mine came from Amazon.
    ...See More

Costly mistake with Pebble Tec

Q

Comments (3)
    fyton2v, As a PB, Peb-tec has never recommended the use of their product out of the water. They have said it can be done and it does work well in certain applications. Rolled beams, negative or vanishing edge pools are examples. Using peb-tec in place of tile has always been a no-no in my mind although I have used it in this manner. I do not use cantilever decks when I use peb-tec. I use brick or stone coping. The coping adheres to the gunite beam and provides a solid surface as opposed to the cantilever deck that requires a slip joint between the top of the beam and the bottom of the deck. As movement of the deck will occur it would be common to see a crack where the deck and peb-tec meet. If mortar has been used to level the beam, it's probable that cracks may appear 1-2" from the top of the peb-tec. This is normally not a peb-tec problem. It will only hold up as well as the surface it's installed on. Hope this helps explain why you may see some problems with this type of installation. IMO tile is a lot easier to keep clean. You may also have a freeze/thaw problem depending on the climate in your area.
    ...See More

Help! Space between sink and edge of counter.

Q

Comments (8)
    5" is bigger than average, 3-4" is more typical, and it may hurt your back to have to do that lean when standing at the sink for a long time. It is rare to see the tip-outs for sponges any more. That is because they fell out of favor some years ago (you also posted on another thread about tipouts from 2008 which gives an idea how long ago) because they tend to get grungy, and don't let the damp sponges breathe. You might want to look into replacing your sink with an apron front sink. One of our regular Pro posters, Joseph Corlett, has posted about this a number of times, and shown with pics how he does it. Perhaps do a search for his posts. Apron front sinks are not just the old-style fireclay anymore (which I don't recommend). They come in stainless steel and composite too, for a more current look. Or, just live with it, and see how it goes. It may be absolutely fine. Edited to add: just a quick google search turned up these threads that have photos to show what I mean: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4454249/apron-sink-retrofit https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5380920/should-i-go-with-stainless-steel-farmhouse-sink-i-love-or-undermount
    ...See More

costly mistakes

Q

Comments (3)
    This looks like an accidental duplicate post. There is more activity on the other thread, https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6332051/costly-mistakes#n=12.
    ...See More
  • marie_ndcal
    13 years ago

Yes, had to borow cell phone from sheriff's debuty to call OnStar. He was in the area, not sure why. No problem.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

Sunshines, that is truly a bummer. I keep a spare key in purse, and I never leave my purse in the car.
    I locked my keys in my car years ago, in MPLS, and the police wouldn't help, didn't have the money for a locksmith. I was standing there considering breaking a window, when a black beat up plain van pulled up and a seedy looking guy got out and asked if i had locked the keys in and I said I did, he reached in the van behind the seat and pulled out some kind gizmo stuck it in somewhere in the door,,,,and click, the door was unlocked. I asked him what he did for a living and he just laughed, tossed the gizmo back in the van and drove away. I wanted to offer him some money, but he was gone in flash. I guess that was my lucky day.

• janie_ga
    13 years ago

Back in GA, I took my nieces to the store to get their parents' Christmas presents. Locked the keys int he car with the car still running!!!! My nieces got a huge kick out of that... so did my dad when I called him and told him to HURRY, I didn't want to run out of gas, lol.

I HATE that both mine and Eric's cars have the microchip in the keys so we cannot get extra except from the dealer.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

Your insurance company pays for this? Who's your insurance company? I really have never thought that would be reimbursable. Have you done that before? And have your rates gone up, even slightly?

Well, I'm glad you weren't stranded some far-off place and that somebody came. You had your cell on you?

I have locked myself out, several years ago. Can't even recall the circumstances. I think it was really late at night, after midnite, during one of the cold months. I think I went out to warm the car up and was in "autopilot" mode and locked the door (pushing the button on the car door down and holding the handle up and closing it--that's how that car worked). I called the police; no clue as to why I did that instead of a locksmith, but a police man came, used one of those hook things and I was in.

There was another thread here not long ago about newer cars' locking/door/engine technology that's smarter than we are. Esp the auto-locking doors.

Someone said he/she hid a key behind the license plate but someone else said that's one of the worst-kept secrets around! I hadn't heard of that either and thought that'd be a good method--as long as you had something to undo the license-plate screws!

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

On the way to the Purdue/Wisconsin game last year we stopped for gas. DH was driving and went in to use the bathroom. When the gas was done pumping I grabbed my purse and checked to make sure he took the keys out of the ignition. Well, they weren't dangling, so I grabbed my purse and locked the car and went in to use the restroom. Unfortunately, he had taken the keys out of the ignition and put them on the dash, so we were locked out. Who does that? I was furious with him and he was furious with me and it cost us 65.00 cash to get it unlocked.

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

I have AAA so I don't have to pay to get my car unlocked. The only time I locked my keys in in recent years was on a very hot day and I had to wait 45 minutes for AAA. After that I made sure I always have spare keys in my wallet for house and car.

• azzalea
    13 years ago

I've done it from time to time. Sometimes, I've called my husband to run by and help me out (he works on the road, anyway, so if he's in the area, it's not a problem). Or I've called AAA. Now I keep an extra key in my purse and NEVER leave my purse in the car.

Now, here's a story for you, once--when my niece was an infant--SIL locked both her keys AND the baby in the car after she'd been downtown shopping. And what did she do? Not have someone call the police for her, nor call her husband. Oh, no. She RAN HOME (about 6 blocks away) for a spare set, leaving the baby in the car!!!! We didn't hear that story until much later, and it did NOT go down well!

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

I keep a set of keys pinned to the inside of my pants pocket. I almot always wear jeans

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

one of the many reasons I love onstar! I have only once locked my purse in the car along with my keys and that one time cost me also. Now that I have onstar I feel like there is always someone to help me.

• sunshines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Funny stories.

I was home and had already put the groceries away that were in my trunk but my cell phone was locked up in my purse as well but we have a land phone and so I called State Farm and the agent gave me a number to call a local locksmith and I was told by State Farm that I would be reimbursed that my insurance covers it...just to take my receipt in to show them, which I will do tomorrow.

• tami_ohio
    13 years ago

Glad you got the car unlocked Sunshines.

Dotmom, you have NO IDEA just how lucky you were that day. The reason he just laughed when you asked him what he did for a living is because he steals cars for a living and the "jimmy stick" he used is pretty much illeagal! It could have gone very badly for you, instead.

Thank God for AAA! But I have keyless entry on mine. DH had to call AAA our first trip out with the motor home. He locked the keys to the truck in the truck. Luckily we still had the keys to the motor home on us, so we could get in it, but had to call AAA to come unlock the truck, so we could tow it.

Tami

• workoutlady
    13 years ago

It's happened to me twice but at least it was 2 different cars. First time, I started my car and must have bumped the lock when I got out to run back into my house. Yep, my car was running and locked. My DH managed to call a local friend who happens to be a cop and happened to be on duty. He came and got me out.

Another time, we went tubing down a river and we didn't want to take the ignition key because we were worried it would ruin the chip. We were too cheap to rent a locker. Anway, DH tied the door key to his shoe and locked the ignition key in the car (he hid it). I asked him if he double tied his shoe, he said he didn't need to because he tied his shoes the right way.

About halfway down the river we noticed his untied shoe and no key As you can imagine it caused quite an argument and the rest of the trip he was sullen. When we got back to the park, we talked to the personnel and they said it happened all the time. They had a locksmith on hand and it would cost $150. They didn't allow any other locksmith on site. What a rip off. This happened at least 10 years ago. Can you imagine paying $150 then?

All turned out well, it turns out DD had forgotten to shut her window. Everything was there including my purse with my money, which I had forgotten to put in the trunk. We still laugh about that.

• lisa_fla
    13 years ago

One hectic morning I couldn't find my keys to take the kids to school. I used DH's set. When I got home I left them on the console. Later that day when I went to pick them up, I forgot DH's keys were already in there. I had found my set and used those. I got the kids and parked the van in the garage. I left my purse in it because were were to leave for karate a bit later. DS went back to the van for his backpack and somehow locked the door with both keys being inside! Didn't know what to do! I decided to call a friend down the street who had boys about 18 and 20. They came over with a friend and finagled and got it open. I gave them a huge bag of candy in appreciation. They weren't criminals, but were always doing stuff with cars.

• oldgardener_2009
    13 years ago

It happened to me once a long time ago, but now my car beeps at me if I try it.

• User
    13 years ago

As a matter of fact, is has happened to me.

When my youngest was about 4, my husband phoned me at home and asked if I would pick up a flat of beer. That way it would be nice and cold when he got off work. The other kids were in school, so I packed up my son and off we went to the liquor store. As I was walking towards the car, I realized I locked the keys in the car. They were still in the ignition.

A passer by saw my dilemna and offered to help. I told him I needed a slim jim and would call for help. He OFFERED TO HOLD THE BEER! ROFL! yeah, I fell off the turnip truck that morning.........

Anyways, I made a phone call and the guy tried and tried to get into my car. He just couldn't do it. People in the stores were watching through the windows as the guy tried to break in for me. Finally I told him I had spare keys at home and he could just tow my car and I would get my keys when I got home. He agreed it was a good idea.

I gave him a kiss, and jumped in his truck. Before this shocks you, my husband is a tow truck driver who breaks into cars for a living. I called him. But boy oh boy you should have seen the looks on peoples faces when I kissed him! It was priceless!

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

Gosh, I hate to jinx myself by saying this but, no-not yet. I always use my key fob to lock the car, that way I know I haven't left the key in the car. Of course, a dog could really mess me up, if it jumped on the lock thing.

I know when I go on road trips with girlfriends, I give one of the friends a spare key to carry with her for just in case. I don't want to hide a key on the outside of the car.

• bee0hio
    13 years ago

I locked myself out when DIL & I were shopping on Black Friday after T-giving. Put my keys in my coat pocket, then when I got out of the car I decided to leave my coat in the car since it was such a short distance to the store's door. Blissfully went shopping & realized my mistake only after leaving the store.

Perversely, I DO have a magnetic holder with a spare key somewhere under the front bumper.... BUT I did not know where it was located & it isn't really visible. So I called dh & he came with another key (also showed me where the mag-holder is located).

• User
    13 years ago

I would NOT put a key outside my car, and never leave your purse in the car. If you must, pin a key to your clothing.
    Sorry you had that happen. I ALWAYS carry my keys in my pocket, If my purse get stolen they don't get the car!

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

I had to have my mechanic come to unlock my door once when I was at home - don't remember how much he charged.

Dog has locked the door on me a few times ... but I've always had the key in my pocket. Actually, I don't think that she ever locked both doors.

Daughter bought CAA for me about 5 years ago and I've kept it going: they'd open the door for me, now.

'Twas a good thing that I had it last summer, as I was just under the 200 km. (125 mi.) tow limit when I blew the rad in Toronto they towed me home.

ole joyful

• brightonborn
    13 years ago

Yes it did about 4 weeks ago. Not a happy camper as it was snowing as well, and my bag was on the seat too. Thankfully it only cost me 30.00. Since then I joined AAA. I always leave a window open now, no matter what, until I am seated behind the wheel.
    Hope you can resolve your anxiety over this happening again.

• patches_02
    13 years ago

When my DH was on the police department they were always getting callled out to help unlock a door. I use to do it when you could use a coat hanger to open it.

• liljunkr
    13 years ago

An inexpensive AAA membership has assistance for things like this. I locked my keys in at a hotel in GA. , called AAA, 30 min. later I was in the car on my way again at no out of pocket expense. The next day we hit a piece of road trash that punctured a tire. Once again AAA came to the rescue and got us back on our way in about 2 hrs. Nice repair man took off punctured tire, the spare was just a little donut baby tire that didn't look good to the repair truck driver so he took me into the next town where I got a new tire mounted (at discount price because I have road hazard insurance) and then he drove me all the way back to the car on the side of the freeway and put it on for us.
    Plus the discounts we got at many places was well worth the AAA membership cost.

LIL

• goldy
    13 years ago

I have a 2004 and if you leave your keys on the seat after five minuets your car will lock.I left my keys and my dog in the car and my car locked .I thought the dog did it .It was months later The same thing happened and the dog was not in the car.So don't leave your keys in the car some cars lock on their own.

• cynic
    13 years ago

It's only happened a couple times to me. During the winter months though I always carried a second key so I could lock the door and leave it run to warm up. Don't recall if it was ever needed for other purposes.

One time, probably 20 years ago now, I was at my cousin's and locked the key in the car. I had a key on it so I was underneath getting it when some other guests were wondering WTH I was doing! But we had a laugh over it.

Last time was about 3 years ago. I was closing the door and inches away realized I left the keys in it and tried to stop but couldn't. Well I was working so I went in and got the job done and called my sister to bring a key. She has access to my house, picked up the spare key and brought it. I never got around to putting a key on that vehicle. Never found a good spot for it.

The new vehicle will not lock if the keys are in the ignition. It will of course lock if they're left in a purse! :) I carry the fob separate from the keys though. Seems silly to have them on the same ring. If you lock the keys inside, you lock the fob too. This way I should have the fob on me if they get left inside. And I'm pretty good about clipping the keys to my as soon as I shut off the engine, after learning from the last episode!

I can't see having AAA for lockout but it could be good for a flat tire. I'm just not sure about the cost - whether it's worth it or not. Having a cell, I can call someone and get help. Yes a higher price but you still have to factor in the cost of AAA or the other insurance. Right now, the cell is far cheaper and more cost-effective.

The local police get lockout calls all the time but normally they will only send a CSO out when available, unless there's a person or pet locked in on a super hot day. And you have to sign a release and they'll try to unlock it. I believe they started to impose a small fee for the service, which they should.

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

I locked my keys in the car once while on trip a couple of years ago. But I had the foresight to have a spare key in my pocket. For the past 5 years, when I go on trip, I carry a second set of keys somewhere on my person.

• powertoolgeek
    13 years ago

I have locked myself out a few times. Thankfully, even if your key has the special chip in it, you can get a spare made. It will just unlock the door. Unfortunately seems like newer keys have the fat bit of rubber/plastic on them, making them very bulky. I found that if you cut that off, it doesn't affect anything and then lays nice and flat in my wallet.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I've locked myself out a couple of times. Once I walked 5 miles from a shopping center home to get my husband's key. I also have a spare key for every car we own in a drawer in the living room. Works okay as long as you're not locked out of the house!