SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_ont

Anyone have experience with Jeuvenile Diabetes? (Ben)

nicole_ont
16 years ago

I just got back from spending another couple of days in the hospital with Benjamin. I am completely and utterly exhausted. It was so rough on him.

The doctor he saw in there is pretty sure Benjamin is developing Diabetes. He didn't officially diagnose him, but he said that the blood sugar readings that were taken while we were there are "pretty much diagnostic". We have to test his blood often over the next 2 weeks (up until now, we've just had to do it when he was sick with vomiting - to make sure his blood sugar didn't go low), as well as record what he eats, and then we see that doctor again.

Benny's old pediatrician (he retired last month) suggested a few months ago that he though that he may be in the early stages of Diabetes (although after Ben's seizures last Spring he had bloodwork that ruled it out).

It's so sad. He's just 2. It sucks. I know that a diabetic child can live a normal life, and the insulin injections and blood sugar monitoring and watching what they eat just becomes a normal part of their life, but the thought of it just breaks my heart.

Do you know anything about this? What exactly are the "early stages" of diabetes? How long does it take to completely "develop"? How are levels controlled in the meantime? Any other info you can share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sigh. Sigh. Cry.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations