SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Colors for long dining-living room in townhouse

Tmnca
12 years ago

My husband and I are looking at a townhouse built in the 1980's. It has some very ugly 80's design features, which I'd want to minimize and change where possible. Other than that it has everything we want (location especially). The layout is - come in the front door, the kitchen is immediately on the right, and staircase going up to the second floor. There is a breakfast bar type setup opening into the dining/living room which is all one long rectangular room. There is a sliding glass door at the far end and windows in the kitchen, none in the side walls as it is a middle unit. It is currently painted a hideous caramel-beige color that just doesn't work for it and makes the long walls look dingy (new paint).

If we buy the place (just daydreaming ahead of myself here, since we have to sell our place first) or let's say one like it... what would you do with a long rectangular room like this with the light source all at one end? I was thinking a cooler color would look good such as a very pale grey with our dark brown almost-black furniture. White would brighten it up but then it might look like a big white box.

Would you paint all the walls a single color, or would you paint the long walls a darker or lighter color than the end wall (which is mostly window)? Or one wall a different color?

There is also an ugly 80's fireplace in the corner with brick facing and a mesh curtain, no mantel. I guess I would paint that and get glass doors for it.

I should add that husband and I both hate mirrors anywhere other than the bathroom - so we won't be cheating that way to open up the space!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (5)