SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaetjohn

What am I doing wrong with my new Miele w1986 washer?

lisaetjohn
14 years ago

Hi. Within the past three months, after considerable research, I purchased a new Miele w1986 washer for our family of six. I heard that the 220v machines clean better and are more reliable. I live in Michigan, and found a close Canadian dealer that still had this unit in stock. One drawback was that Miele doesn't warranty across borders. I took the chance and was able to negotiate a $1000 USD purchase (I had to pick it up and install), and I had to pay $200 for my electrician to hook up a 220v line in my house. Now that I've had this machine, I've had nothing but problems. First of all, it wrinkles terribly, and I had to purchase an expensive steam iron to take out all of the wrinkles. My husband is a dentist and when I wash the lab coats in a cotton setting at 60c or hotter, I can't adjust the rpm lower than 900rpm. The coats are so wrinkled and my husband is ready to wring my neck. I can't run the spin speed beyond 400rpm on my children's clothes because it creates small holes in the clothes, and is rough on the bottom of pants. Even my towels come out frayed at speeds higher than 600 rpm. Thankfully I can adjust the rpm, however, everything comes out wet, and I have to run an additional drain/spin at 400rpm at the end to extract the additional water and try to reduce the drying time. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of owning a FL machine? Another point that I find frustrating is that in order to remove stains adequately, I have to put the cycle to extended, add soak time, and add heavy soil, which increases the cycle to 1hr and 45 minutes (a lot of time for a mom of 4 children). I'm using BioKleen detergent and Mountain Green dryer sheets (only in the dryer). There have been streaks of orange colored marks left on a few of my clothes (only 3 to 4 times this has happened), but almost looks like rust. Please give me any suggestions and or advice, I'm at wit's end. BTW the unit was never used and returned, and I bought it new. Thank you for your input.

Comments (18)