SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Which Cuisine Best For Desert Island

John Liu
13 years ago

This is one of those "if you were on a desert island . . . " questions.

"If you were on a desert island, and could only eat one type of ethnic or regional cuisine for the rest of your life, which would it be?"

Peculiar desert island, with a master chef and a kitchen with any ingredient necessary. So you're not a shipwreck victim, more like a banished dictator - Napoleon on Elba, let's say.

But that master chef only knows how to cook one type of ethnic or regional cuisine, he's a purist and a classicist, and he's never heard of fusion or world cuisine.

If you chose the French chef, then you'll live on rillettes, daube de boeuf, moules, steak au poivre, ratatouille, terrines, boeuf hache, duck confit, sole muniere, crepes, Bourdeaux, fromage, and so on - forever. You'll never again taste sashimi, yakisoba, katsu, udon, bulgogi, gyoza, char siu, sweet and sour or sesame or ginger anything, you tiao or congee, roast beijing duck, tortellini or spaghetti or gnocchi or really any pasta, pesto or marinara or bolognaise, prosciutto, or gelato. Not to mention never strudel, roesti, schweinebraten, schnitzel, goulash, enchiladas, mole, salsa, paella, feijioada, bangers and mash, anything tandoori or vindaloo or curry, lingonberries, gravlax, Rioja, ouzo, mao tai, Oregon pinot, single-malt, Guiness Stout or Bass Ale, sangria, hamburgers or hot dogs, apple pie, potato salad, mom's green bean casserole - none of it. Ever. Gulp. I have to stop before I weep.

Which would you choose?

The reason this is interesting to me, is because this is in fact how most people in the world live. The average kid growing up in Bangkok is most likely going to eat the local food for his whole life, ditto the kids growing up in Buenos Aires and Osaka, Shenzen and Lyon. Okay, I know there's McDonalds everywhere, and the lucky kids grow up affluent and/or adventuresome enough to be culinary world citizens - but you know what I mean.

Which culinary prison cell would you choose? And why?

Comments (33)