SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldrustybucket

Share your unusual remedies for what ails ya...

oldrustybucket
15 years ago

VICKS VAPO RUB -Â INTERESTING

During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot soles can absorb oils. Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it.

Some of us have used Vicks Vapo rub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who discovered it aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks Vapo rub generously on the bottom of the feet at bedtime, then cover with socks. Even persistent, heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly.

Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good, due to the chemical makeup of these strong drugs so, I listened. It was a surprise finding and found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bedtime, in addition to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly.

A friend tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes and believe me, this was a deep, (incredibly annoying!) every few seconds uncontrollable cough, and she slept cough-free for hours every night that she used it.

If you have grandchildren, pass this on. If you end up sick, try it yourself and you will be absolutely amazed at how it works.

Comments (47)

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

Stuffed up sinuses...a heaping teaspoonful of horseradish (wasabi, too)

• janie_ga
    15 years ago

Seshwain (sp?) for sinus infections. Unfortunately, I have not found a place in Clarksburg that sells it yet. I am in need for a nice dose. Planning to hit the Asian restaurants Monday in Morgantown.

Janie who got a steroid injection and a Z-pack this morning but still isn't feeling well.

• Related Discussions

NEW: 5th Annual Rare-Unusual-Named Variety Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (88)
    Hi there- No worries Joan, I have sent it again ;*)- I am sending through your GW page- I do hope that is the right address?!? Have you checked your spam filter? Will it allow you to receive mail through GW? If you do not receive it this time I suggest you send an email to me through my GW page and I will reply back to you. Your email should accept a reply back from itself.... Sorry this info is not getting to you! I have received another envelope from Shadyside today! I have been a bit busy with seeds this morning... Probably will be an all day thing... I guess the chores will have to wait a bit (longer)!! We have a little something for everyone already- you guys are doing a great job with finding treasures for each other! Later- Julie
    ...See More

What ails my petunias? :(

Q

Comments (13)
    The little brown specks are seeds. When you don't deadhead the flowers the spent blooms will form seed pods, which will pop when they are ripe hence little tiny seeds go everywhere. In order to get more flowers instead of seed pods you need to deadhead the spent flowers. If I were you I would cut all the stems back to about 4 inches long and fertilize the plant with a liquid fertilizer where the middle number is the highest number. The middle number is phosphorus which affects blooming. When you use a fertilizer where the first number is the highest number that causes a lot of foliage growth instead of flowers. Make sure the plant isn't dry when you fertilize it. The plant will look dismal after you cut it back but never fear it will grow back out especially with the addition of the fertilizer. You should fertilize petunias with a liquid fertilizer once a week, but never fertilize them when the soil is dry. Deanna
    ...See More

Share your hot weather simple recipes : )

Q

Comments (101)
    Mamapinky, I think my DH’s taste buds have suffered the same issue as yours – too much fried food in his past! BTW, didn't you mention a laundry channel on youtube you'll be hosting (on another thread?) I can't find the thread, but let us know for sure - I'll sub, and my first question pre-youtube is how to get those 'screaming hot whites' - please do a vid on that! Cathy, I laughed out loud thinking of you spitting that tomato skin out and making the comment! Too funny! I have a good rapport with mine green grocer.. maybe coz I’m the only one asking for and buying some of the more unusual things here : ) Uh, chocolate chips in the yogurt bars… now you’re talkin’!!! Sherri1058… and guess what we’ve been enjoying? Perfect with fajitas! Thank you so much for sharing this!
    ...See More

Unusual Sans, Look what came home w/ me yesterday

Q

Comments (14)
    Esther-B: I feel the same way about Lowes where I live. I have wandered in there on occasion just to nose around and have uncovered a real treasure or two at a very normal, reasonable price for a "common" plant. It was clear to me that they didn't really know what they had. I scoop them up when I can find them. Karen: NICE roots! I found with mine, which looked a lot like yours in the photo, that an "arm" grew out of the bottom "stalk" or stem portion of the plant soon after I repotted it -- just like a bud, until it became an actual spikey little arm. It's still growing today. This Sans is so much fun to grow and watch.
    ...See More
  • hounds_x_two
    15 years ago

A teaspoon of vinegar will cure your hiccups!

• lindaohnowga
    15 years ago

Vicks "does" work.

Poison Ivy.....garlic juice applied on opened blisters will dry it up.

Hemmoroids.....camphorated oil. You will "dance" but it does cure them.

Foot cramps....using a cold gel pack, rub the legs down, then put your feet "on" the icepack.

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

A teaspoon of sugar will also cure your hiccups (and tastes better than vinegar! lol).

A thick paste of meat tenderizer and water will take the sting out of a insect (wasp, bee, etc) bite.

Toothpaste (paste, not gel) will take the itch out of mosquito bites and more (I used it on chigger bites once and it worked better than any other the over-the-counter remedies).

• susanjf_gw
    15 years ago

a water pic water shower head (or any other brand) that has gotten me thru achey bones, headaches, and when i'm blue...
    oh, and have rubbed vicks on the walls of the shower...sort of a medicated steam...

• sue_va
    15 years ago

I learned the Vicks on the baby's feet trick from my DM long ago.

She also put Vicks on our chest if we had a bad cold. Or we would swallow a lump of it if we were congested.

I read some time ago that Vicks on your chest is a real NONO. Don't remember the reason they gave.

Dr. Gott says it is good for toenail fungus.

Sue

• phyllis__mn
    15 years ago

Plain old ammonia is great for insect bites.

And the aloe plant has helped heal a burn quickly, or has someone mentioned that?

How about the bar of soap under the sheet for leg cramps? I know we've discussed it before , but lots of newbies now.

• Kathsgrdn
    15 years ago

I absolutely hated having Vicks rubbed on my chest as a child, I always felt smothered by it. It would probably make me go into a full-blown asthma attack today.

When I was pregnant with Alex, my mom sent me a jar of Japanese pickle plumbs, ate them and drank the juice for nausea. Pickled ginger does the same thing and dill pickles and juice. Crackers never worked for me.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Ginger on its own, pickled or not, is good for nausea associated with motion sickness. I can attest to the fact that is does work, and it works better than Dramamine. It way cheaper than Dramamine or other OTC medications, and NO SIDE EFFECTS like the meds give.

You can get ground ginger in capsuals at any health food store if you do not like the taste of ginger.

• matti5
    15 years ago

When I was a kid, my Italian grandmother would make tea from bay leaves to cure stomach aches. She also boiled onions and we drank the liquid to help relieve congestion. She had all sorts of tips and tricks in her pantry. Sure wish I could remember them.

She also made "Mustard packs" for congested coughs. She mixed up some foul smelling concoction, placed it on our chests and made us sleep with it all night. It stayed warm for hours.

• shea
    15 years ago

I'm hoping someone has a remedy for heartburn. I cannot take OTC things like Pepcid and Prilosec, so would love to hear some natural cures.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Try sipping Peppermint schnapps for heartburn.

• sue_va
    15 years ago

Oh, I had forgotten the mustard packs. Also onion packs; the onions were cooked and either of those were spread between two pieces of flannel and put on your chest..or back.

The fumes were enough to clear your congestion.

Sue

• liz
    15 years ago

I'm using Vicks right now on a nail fungus...in a little under 5 days it's almost completely GONE!! I did a google search on home remedy for nail fungus and about a gazillion sites popped up with the same remedy so I went out and bought some Vicks...

I'm suffering from a horrible chest cold right now so you can bet I'm gonna try the vicks on the feet treatment before going back to bed!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I used to swear by Manzanilla tea and even would bring it back from Mexico because I could not find it here. Then after years I learned that Manzanilla = Chamomile. Duh.

Anyway, it works.

• goldedger
    15 years ago

Hi all

Usually just lurking (that sounds nasty), enjoying all your tips and tidbits. Don't usually have much to say or add but thought I could add my two cents worth here for Shea.....
    A glass of milk was recommended to me for heartburn and it worked. Maybe it will work for you too, I hope so.

Witch hazel for bruises and itches.

• wantoretire_did
    15 years ago

Lightly wet a bar of soap and rub on mosquito bites. Takes the itch right away :-)

• lellie
    15 years ago

Not really 'unusual', but........after over 10 agonizing years of hot flashes and night sweats plus many, many trips to my gyno and useless prescriptions...THIS WORKS, GIRLS!!

I've told several girlfriends about it and it worked for them too. :)

I get mine at Walmart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Healthy Woman Optisoy

• paula_pa
    15 years ago

I use plain yellow mustard on mild burns - even when I burn my tongue. It does seem to help stop any lasting pain from the burn.

I apply pressure between my thumb and index finger for headaches.

I haven't experimented enough to know if it helps for sure, but dark chocolate has seemed to help with coughs as I read it would.

• grittymitts
    15 years ago

Shea, about half a teaspoon of Fennel seeds held in your mouth 'til they get soft then chewed a bit (spit out the hulls)cures indigestion for me every time.

Found this in a book on Biblical Remedies which said that back then small bowls were put on tables at feasts.

Suzi (who hates those chalky tablets)

• katlan
    15 years ago

Shea, When a big slug of pepto or a couple of Rolaids don't work for me, I take about 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda mix it into about 3 or 4 ounces of water and drink it straight down. It has worked every single time for me so far. Even worked for DH just this past week, although it took some coaxing to get him to try it. lol Hope it helps.
    Katlan

• lindyluwho
    15 years ago

I tried the Vicks on the feet thing last night. It didn't stop the cough but it did lessen the frequency and intensity until about 6:30 this morning. I'm back to square one. Wonder if I should put some more on now?

Linda

• jkayd_il5
    15 years ago

I too used Vicks for nail fungus. It was only a mild case but the Vicks did work.

• shea
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions for heartburn, sheilajoyce, goldedger, grittymitts and katlan! I will try these to see which one does the trick for me. It's amazing what we can learn when we put our collective heads together!

Grittymitts, what is the name of that book? I'd be interested in reading it!

• shea
    15 years ago

Dilly, what do you use the chamomile tea for?

• jannie
    15 years ago

Eating a peppermint candy helps if you have an upset stomach. Gives you nice breath,too.

• amicus
    15 years ago

This one sounds crazy but I saw it for myself. When my sister was about 13, we were buying our back to school shoes. She saw a pair she loved and insisted they fit her, even though they looked a bit snug. Sure enough, within 2 days she developed large blisters, but didn't want to tell our mom, so she broke the blisters herself and kept quiet about it. Within 2 days they'd become infected and she began limping that night. My mom found out and planned to call the doctor in the morning. But my grandpa was over and he told us to open a can of pork and beans. Then he took out two little pieces of the pork and put them directly on the red wounds and taped up each foot with bandaging. The next morning when she took off the bandaging, the dark red around the wounds had changed to a very pale pink, so my mom held off on calling the doctor. Sure enough, with the same treatment repeated that day, all signs of any infection had completely disappeared by the next morning. Crazy.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

I had heartburn lastnight..I sucked on an Altoid..it worked..

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Posted by shea: Dilly, what do you use the chamomile tea for?

I was first introduced to the tea as a hangover cure by one of my friend's mother after a party. I was skepticle but it worked. I learned that it can relieve pre-mentrual symptoms and it worked for me, and then helped with menopause. It is also good for intestinal distress. If you Google it there are studies that show it wards off the common cold, helps diabetics maintain equalibrium, relieves stress and aids in non medicated sleep. What can't it do? :)

• grittymitts
    15 years ago

Wish I could tell ya' the exact name & publisher of the book Shea, but loaned it to a friend and never got it back -she says she must have thrown it away when in a cleaning frenzy.

I got it at checkout desk in a small book store years ago & am always on the lookout for another...a very small paperback, about 4" X 4"

• donna37
    15 years ago

Many years ago my niece had sores all over her head, my sister nearly shaved her head and put medicine on it to no avail. Took her to the doctor and got what he prescribed, nothing worked and they kept getting bigger and uglier. A man that worked with her Dad told him to take the green hulls from black walnuts, crush them and apply the juice after removing the scabs first. I know it burned like crazy but her head healed up in no time and never again did she have this happen. She was about 2 years old at the time and that was over 60 years ago. She had a beautiful head of hair when it all grew back.

• nikki_nj
    15 years ago

it's funny seeing milk, mints and minty alcohol for heartburn remedies. Mint and milk & alcohol are supposed to aggravate heartburn.

found this online:
    Despite popular assumptions, milk and mint both encourage acid production. Common elements in milk stimulate additional stomach acid production while mint relaxes the sphincter at the base of your esophagus allowing acid to travel upward more readily. A quick home remedy for heartburn is to stay away from milk and mint when you feel the burn. Alcoholic beverages should also be avoided.

Not saying that it doesn't work for some :)
    I take Protonix.

• wildchild
    15 years ago

Anyone who has chronic heartburn should be checked for GERD. You could be at risk for Barrett's Esophagus.

Barrett's esophagus is marked by cellular changes in the lining of the esophagus. It's a major risk factor for esophageal adenocarcinoma a highly malignant cancer of the esopohgus.

It's a good idea to get a baseline endoscopy and follow up with future exams as needed just like with a colonscopy.

• jemdandy
    15 years ago

This is an old time pioneer remedy:

For ring worm, rub on the juice from the husk surrounding a green walnut nut. However, the stain will be unsightly.

This may have some merit because the walnut tree produces a growth inhibitor that keep nuts and seeds from other woody plants from germinating within the outline of its crown, including nuts from itself.

Ring worm is a fungus.

• kayjones
    15 years ago

Please, PLEASE - if you have persistant heartburn, get some tests run and find out WHY - it's a sign something is seriously wrong! Don't play around with stomach problems - get them checked out ASAP - you don't want stomach or pancreatic cancer!

• grittymitts
    15 years ago

Husks from green Black walnut rubbed on Ringworms worked better than any Rx Dr. gave for mine. To my poor Mother's dismay, when I was small I picked up every stray cat that came along & got Ringworms many times. Family doctor used to ask me what kind of kitten I'd found this time.

We didn't know anyone with walnut trees and when someone told Mother how well it worked she called my Aunt in St. Louis who sent them by bus. Long distance calls and telegrams in those days (during WWII) were usually reserved for real emergencies or bad news.)

Head Lice: An elderly man living nearby told me his Grandmother boiled Chinaberries & washed their hair in the 'tea' to get rid of them quick. Back then, it was almost disgraceful to have them...now it's very common according to school teachers I know. And BTW, I have trees if anyone ever wants some.

Suzi

• girlsingardens
    15 years ago

Okay since I am in such pain right now, I would appreciate if anyone has any home remedies for UTI,Gall Bldder attacks, Kidney stones and low potassuim levels. I am in such severe pain and could use any ideas.

Stacie

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

Stacie, I don't think anything can help you right now except for drinking alot of water to help flush you out. I did read one person who said drinking beer would help dissolve them (I've read a lot that says beer will help prevent them).
    http://blogs.ebay.com/windsorauctions-usa/entry/Have-Kidney-Stones-Heres-an-idea/_W0QQidZ49896014
    A google search for beer and kidney stones will turn up a lot of hits.

Once they are gone though, you should start taking Magnesium, Potassium (commonly low in people with kidney stones), B6 and a beer daily. See link below for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avoiding Kidney Stones

• nikki_nj
    15 years ago

UTI- Loads of Cranberry juice, but GO TO A DR. CAN BECOME SERIOUS IF NOT TREATED

Potassium, eat bananas, potatoes, oranges, raisins...

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Ok this will kill the health food freaks, but oh well :oP You're warned...

Hangover

MacDonalds chocolate milkshake will cure it faster than anything. I used to work for a DR and he was a nut about health, but on occasion, I'd see him drive up in the AM with a MicD's drink glass. He didn't drink soda...I was thinking he was getting huge orange juices.

One day while cleaning the office a bit (his desk was frightening LOL) I saw that the soda cup was actually milkshake. His medical explaination...

Milk will aggrevate the acids in your system from the booze, likely curdling and coming back up. MacDonalds fake shakes actually aren't made from milk so much as chemicals, so they'll go down and sort of "Sit" on the acids and absorb them as well.

The chocolate gives you the sugar boost you need until your body can bring itself back to normal (it's just temporary) and the cafeen will help with a perk up.

I use it myself ever since :) I don't drink til I pass out daily LOL but on occasion, when entertaining wine collectors especially, I'll end with one taste too many (port always gets me LOL I can't say no). I also used to drink for a living (ok I was community relations, but in AK that means you spend quite a bit of time at a private club here that specializes in wine) and every once in a while, it would be hard to get up in the morning heh heh

My staff knew if they saw me with a milkshake before 10, they should leave me be for an hour LOL

• koda04
    15 years ago

shea, have you had your gall bladder checked?

• shea
    15 years ago

Hi Koda, I had my gall bladder out 12 years ago. I have a long list of medications that I can't take because I have bad reactions and sensitivity to, including medications for heartburn. I can't take Prilosec, Zantac or Tums so I try to avoid foods that will give me heartburn, and look for natural ways to treat it when it does occur.

• stephanie_in_ga
    15 years ago

I drink a big glass of very cold milk for heartburn, too. I don't get it too bad. But sometimes at bedtime I just can't lie down without feeling it. I big glass of cold milk will sooth my stomach enough that I can go to sleep.

When I was prego I got terrible heartburn, of course. I saw a friend put carrot sticks in her spaghetti sauce b/c she said they absorb the acid of the tomato sauce so she can eat the sauce without getting hearburn later. She used big carrots, so she removed them before serving. But I thought about that absorbing acid part for my constant pregnancy related heartburn. Turned out, munching on raw carrots really did prevent heartburn for me. After that, I would keep those small bags of baby carrots on me when prego.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

From Mcdonalds own publication:
    Milkshake Base Mix
    Skimmed milk, concentrated skimmed milk*1 , cream, sugar, skimmed milk solids*2 , glucose syrup. Stabilisers: guar gum, sodium polyphosphate, carrageenan and carboxymethylcellulose. Vanilla flavour.

http://www.mcspotlight.org/company/publications/nutrition_info.html

Snopes will dispell any rumors:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/mcdshake.asp

BTW Chocolate does not contain any sugar. That is why sugar is added to chocolate candy bars. Chocolate is really quite bitter and is the reason it workes so well in cooking savory dishes. You can get sugar free chocolate. All they do is NOT add sugar. Its not like they remove it from the chocolate.

The amount of caffeine in chocolate is miniscule.

http://www.amanochocolate.com/articles/caffeineinchocolate.html

http://www.xocoatl.org/caffeine.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Snopes Shakes

• samkaren
    15 years ago

I have 2 cures:

Duct tape for warts. Put a small square of tape over your wart and within 2 weeks it will go away.

Lipton White Tea is my cure for Psorisis. I drink a half a bottle a day and my legs cleared up by 95%.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Geeze Dilly what ever did I do to offend you...

When I worked at McDonalds it did not have milk in their mix, forgive me the error....still it's basically milk based chemical solids, which are easier on a body full of acids than straight milk will be.

Come on now...chocolate...yes raw chocolate does not have sugar in t when it grows...but the syrup used in a milk shake does...

Happy now? :)