SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Annie, I made your brownie recipe!

shambo
11 years ago

You've also labelled it "Sherry's Brownies." Anyhow, my husband was in the mood for something chocolatey. It was either make brownies or drive to a local chocolate shop for some chocolate-covered caramels. I really like the recipe because it uses oil and cocoa powder. Melting butter or chocolate is too much fussing for me. (That's probably why so many people turn to mixes.) All in all, the recipe makes a perfect treat for my husband.

I made a few changes, but the brownies did not suffer at all. I substituted applesauce for half of the oil quantity, and I used half white whole wheat flour instead of all regular all purpose. I omitted the salt altogether and used sodium-free baking powder and threw in 1/2 tsp. of instant espresso powder.

I didn't realize until I was done making the batter that the recipe was for a 9 x 13 pan. I wanted to bake the brownies in my toaster oven (it was really hot that day) and should have cut the recipe in half. No problem, though. I just baked the batter in two 8 x 8 pans. We ate one pan's worth, and I froze the other. After letting the brownies cool completely, I had no trouble cutting them or having them fall apart.

It's a perfect recipe for someone who wants good tasting brownies and also wants the convenience & speed of a mix without all the weird ingredients. They tasted just as good as some I've purchased from local bakeries, and I'm sure they could be gussied up with chocolate chips, nuts, etc. However, I like them best just plain.

Sherry's Brownies

(from Annie1992)

1 cup vegetable oil or butter

2 cups sugar

2 tsp. vanilla

4 eggs

1 cup flour

1/3 cup cocoa

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

Blend the oil, sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Add eggs. Beat well with a spoon. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry mixture to the egg mixture until well blended. Spread in a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from edges of pan.

To cut them easily, put them in the freezer for an hour or so. Then they cut without falling apart.

Frost or not.

Comment (1)