SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
astrowaites

Urgent Help! Samsnung 219 or LG 29877

14 years ago

Help Please! Long story short, my Fisher & Paykel washing machine broke after 5 months and Sears is graciously replacing the set since no one in my area seems qualifed to fix my F&P. So, here are the choices I've narrowed it down to (keep in mind that I'm trying to adhere to the original purchase price as much as possible):

- Samsung 219 (and matching dryer) NEW from Sears Store in Breakwater Blue w/ pedestals

- LG 29877 (and matching dryer) NEW, but from Sears OUTLET, possibly including pedestals

I'm going to go take a look at the ones at the outlet at lunch today, but it is a seemingly amazing deal for a SteamWasher and Dryer. My husband is more inclined to go with the Samsung 219 because he feels that fewer gizmos means less to break...and, it seems that LG has a higher percentage of complaints on-line (by FAR) than Samsung.

I really need to make this decision today, so I'd love to hear your thoughts. Since essentially, the price is equal, would you go for the LG Steam from the Outlet, or stick with the Samsung, new in a box, but bottom-of-the-line?

I'm worried about noise/vibration with the LG, as well as the fact that more LG owners seem to reports mells than Samsung owners. But, I'm being swayed by the steam...HELP!! Thanks!

Comments (12)

• 14 years ago

I just checked out the LG at the store. The model is being discontinued, so they're trying to get rid of they're floor model, essentially. It's never been used, plugged in, etc., but is open box. It really seems like too good of a deal to pass up to get both the LG 2987 and matching dryer for $1200! As long as it's not a lemon, that is...

Still welcome any opinions...I need to make the call this afternoon!

• 14 years ago

Well, I went with the LG set. I couldn't pass up a SteamWasher & Dryer for $1200! It had so many of the features I wanted versus the Samsung...I felt like the Samsung was lacking some of the features I had come to love about my F&P. So, now I get those features plus a ton more.

Now, here's to hoping it doesn't shake my house down in the spin cycle...

• 14 years ago

We have a set of LG's and love them...

A few notes...

more complaints... there may be more LG's sold out there (around longer and more dealers than Samsung's)...

either way... find out who will service either one .....

The "shaking" depends on where it's installed...basement, 2nd floor, what type of sub-floor,
    what spacing the floor joists are, how old is the house...

• 14 years ago

I kind of thought that may be the case with more LGs being sold. Given that we're with Sears, A&E Factory Service will be doing our repairs. I really can't stand them, but it is what it is. I guess, at this point, I'm happy to have put up with all of their crap to end up getting this awesome set!! Hoping that the vibration turns out to be a non-issue at our house.

Thanks regus!

• 14 years ago

I think my next washer is going to be an LG. I did some research to see if anyone in my town serviced LG. There is one company, its the same company that serviced my Duet. I asked them if something ever happens to an LG machine is there a long wait to get it fixed due to back ordered parts and they said they have not had any issues with that nor have they had any issues with servicing a lot of LG machines. No more than any other brand. Which LG model did u get that is being discontinued? I looked up the model u mentioned on google and couldn't find that particular model

• 14 years ago

Hi Mark! I realized after I posted this that 29877 is the Sears item number. Ooops! The LG model number is LG 2688. It's being delivered on Saturday...so excited! I'll post my initial thoughts once it's delivered! Which models are you thinking about?

• 14 years ago

> LG 2688

that's the one we have, for almost 2 yrs, no problem,

on pedestals, on concrete floor in basement (tri-level house)

• 14 years ago

Hello Astrowaites

The LG model I have had my eye on is the one that has the rear control panel FL just like a top loader. One thing I like about LG, they have the perm press cycle and the comforter cycle. I hear they use a LOT of water. I like having a cycle that uses more water (not delicate) in case I need more water. Unfortunately my Duet lacks the bulky cycle. Just be sure to level the machine and there are these anti-vibration pads you can get to put under each leg of the machine that will work wonders. I've wondered to myself if a lot of people who have electronic problems with their machines is due to excessive vibration during spin.

• 14 years ago

Excellent regus...Thanks! It's great to hear positive reviews on this model!

Mark...we considered that LG model, too. Before switching to a Samsung and then back to an LG! Finally came full circle! I agree, I really like the cycle choices on the LG...especially when considered to the same price point Samsung. For example, I was really disappointed when I compared the Samsung 219's cycles to the LG rear control panel FL (no steam). I particularly like that there are two delicate cycles and a couple of sanitary cycles!

The new w/d is being delivered tomorrow! Meanwhile, the laundry room is getting a fresh coat of paint and new vinyl tile flooring! It'll be as nice looking as the new w/d! ;-)

• 14 years ago

mark40511 "I hear they use a LOT of water".

I have the 2487 and matching dryer in red. I am not sure how that statement is founded. While I do not have the actual water usage amount, based on my experience AND the countless FL testemonials, I am not sure any FL brand uses heavier amounts of water vs other brands. It took me a while to wrap my mind around the lack of water and how there was any possiblity that clothes were clean with the amount of water used.

When I have washed our guest room comforter, I use extra water and extra rinse, I am sure those options use a large amount water. Honestly that is the only time I can really see water in the tub.

FL's really rock, after almost two years I still at times turn on the tub light and watch the clothes wash!! lol

• 14 years ago

Well, Sears dropped the ball AGAIN...w/d was not delivered on Saturday. Hoping to get a new delivery date set up today. Thank goodness for the Blue Ribbon Service Group...but, too bad the rest of the company seems to be incapable of providing competent (let alone excellent) customer service. Still a little grumpy about the lack of delivery this weekend....will post an update/review when I have one!

• 14 years ago

I hope you got your W&D. I have that set and am very, very happy with them. They were a bit noisy when they were first installed, but DH and I took a level and adjusted them properly. They run so smoothly and quietly now. Sears didn't get our delivery right either. I'd been without a washer for so long that I was at a breaking point. We went to Best Buy and got price matching after Sears had given us the white price for blue, a better extended service plan for less and delivery the next day. That's not an option for you right now, so I hope they got it to you and you are happy too.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths