SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthavila_gw

Negotiating a Good Designer Contract (Long)

marthavila
16 years ago

Happy New Year Everyone!

As some of you know, my kitchen remodel project, which began a year ago, has been beset by a series of fits, starts and restarts. So, after finally admitting to myself that I am in way over my head, I began searching for professional design help last fall. I now think I have found the designer/project manager I want to work with. Everything about his professional experience, design sensibilities, people skills and customer references, etc. appear to be sterling. I really, really like this guy alot and, having arrived at the new year, it is now time to sign on the dotted line and get going! Only hitch is that I am bit uncomfortable with these two clauses of the proposed contract:

1. The Designer shall obtain cost estimates for all goods and services. The Designer shall obtain estimates from contractors and subcontractors. The designer shall obtain estimates from contractors and subcontractors known to him as well as those known to or suggested by the Owner.

2. Drawings, schedules, specifications, and any other documents prepared by the Designer as instruments of service are proprietary to the Designer and are the property of the Designer whether the work they are prepared for be executed or not. They are not to be used for any other project, for additions to this project, or completion of this project by others provided that the Designer is not in default under this Agreement, except by written agreement with the Designer.

Now maybe this is standard language and there's no problem with these terms at all. However, I must also confess that, after 2 years of acting as GC for numerous remodel projects in my home (and not being very good at it),I've become paranoid about how best to establish project parameters, rights and responsibilities.

My concern with Clause #1 is that, although I clearly need the designer to help me identify the best contractors and subs, I do not want to be left out of the process of negotiating their fees! The way this contract language sounds, such decisions would pretty much be left to the designer to negotiate costs with those who will do the job. Bottom line: I'm worried about the potential for kickbacks.

As for Clause#2, I'm worried about what happens if (God forbid), this designer and I part ways before the project is completed. How come I don't own the design and drawings I've paid for? As I read these terms, if I were to retain anyone else to help me complete the project, the designer would have the grounds to sue me for assigning his work to another. I surely get the designer's concern that another may come along and claim his design to be their own. Not good. But at what point do I get to say that I also have some ownership of the design? Or do I?

So, for you designers and TKOS who have worked with them, my questions are these: Do either of these clauses flag any concerns for you? Do you think I have any reasonable concern about the potential for kickbacks? Do you think I need worry about who "owns" the designs and drawings I've paid for? If so, do you have alternative language or protective actions to recommend for either or both of these clauses? Or, IYHO, should I just let it go and trust a bit, stop majoring in the minors, and let the designer do the job as stated. . . and FINALLY GET A KITCHEN??? :)

TIA

Comments (15)