SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dboyer76

Extreme Price Difference on 'same' HVAC System

dboyer76
12 years ago

We are building a new 7000sq ft house. We want in floor heat in the basement and forced air on the 1st and 2nd floors. We have worked with an installer who was recommended by the builder thus far but I wanted to get another quote just to make sure. The second quote came in at 30,000 less! Not what I expected. The person with the lower quote won't tell me tonnage, number of runs, or break down the material and labor until I sign with him. I am having a really hard time comparing the two for these reasons. Please give me some suggestions!

Here are the systems:

1. Split system- 2 Geo Comfort GTC Heat pumps (040, 060) using Carrier Infinity Air Handlers, 6 zones w/ controls and sensors, hydronic coils, DeSuperheat tank, Lochinvar Boiler, 80 gal Boiler mate, 10 Ton capacity, etc.

2. Single Units- 2 Trane Forced Air Geothermal Pumps (T2GY), domestic hot water option, 2-40 gal buffer tanks, 6 zones w/ controls, etc.

I realize these are different systems but I can't figure in that much price difference. How do I compare or figure out which one is going to give us the most comfort? All suggestions and/or comments welcome!!

Comments (12)