SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriajane_gw

Do you think a custom Bluestar would do it for me?

victoriajane
15 years ago

So in my quest for the perfect black range, I had it narrowed down to three: Fratelli, Bertazzoni, and Cornufe. Fratelli has the best price by far. I like the 5 burner set up on both the Fratelli and the Cornufe. The Fratelli has the largest oven, but the lowest BTUs (highest is only 12,000). Bertazzoni's BTUs are decent, but oven is smallest and only 6 burners option available in the Heritage. Cornufe is at the outer limits of my budget - it would be twice the price of the Fratelli. I prefer its glossy finish to the matte finish of the Italian ranges. I like the windowless door. Has the 5 burner configuration I like, with a large 17,500 BTU burner. I like that it is associated with a well respected, quality brand (not for status reasons, but for peace of mind, the "you get what you pay for" mentality - though I am aware that the Fe's are mass produced and cannot really be compared to the hand-assembled La Cornues.)

I had a nagging feeling that I should still consider pro-style ranges, so I did a search and ran across the Bluestar website and realized it has a lot of custom options. I could get a 36" range with convection oven and a bazillion BTUs, in black (sides and kickpanel as well), with chrome knobs and brass trim (!) for $5424. $5925 if I go for the windowless option. Open burners which I had been steering away from, but a lot of people say cleaning is no big deal. 6 burner configuration, not my favorite but not a deal breaker. More BTUs than an average cook like me needs, but hey, even I like to boil a pot of water asap. No one would mistake it for a beautiful French range or an adorable Italian one, but still pretty kickin'. Plus it wouldn't look like any range I've ever seen, which is part of the fun. Free delivery from Eurostoves or $199 white glove delivery. 2 year warranty... I've spent a lot of time on appliance forum reading reviews; there is a lot of information there; not all of it positive, but the Bluestar has almost a cult-like following over there, so it must be doing something right. What do you all think? Could this be the range for me?

Comments (2)