SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stapleman527

savings of 14 seer vs 16 seer

stapleman527
14 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I saw a thread from a few months ago about a similar subject, but had a few differences mainly location. I am trying to decide between a 14 SEER and a 16 SEER system. The contractor that I am working with likes to use Ruud, which I have read a lot of good things about.

I live in Houston, TX and so it is really the heat and humidity that we need to worry about here. Yes it does get cold every now and again but I am much more worried about the days it is 110+ with 100% humidity.

My house is about 50 years old and is not the most well insulated house, but isn't horrible. As far as I can tell it is about average for a 50 year old house in the area. Not really sure if it has exterior wall insulation or not. It is one story right about 2000 sq. feet and all on one zone. Also, the furnace uses natural gas.

I dont have the exact model numbers for the 16 SEER system but it is a Ruud UARL Ultra 2 stage upflow/horizontal R410A 4 ton heat/cool system, which I was told was a 15 SEER and 11.85 EER, but when combined with a third party condenser such as Aspen, ADP, All-Style, etc. it would push it to 16 SEER and qualify for the tax credit. The 14 SEER system was also a Ruud and would run about two grand less.

Our electric rates are about 11.7 per KWh and gas rate is 1.11026 per ccf.

Just wanted to get some opinions on if it would be worth it to get the 16 SEER.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations