SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

A book to share....

User
12 years ago

Apropos of the incredibly enlightening and informative discussions we have been participating in on this forum I wanted to share this gem of a book. A friend from my meditation group lent me a copy. It is set up for a reading a day.

The title says it all. Perhaps some of us can read it and then have some back and forth on the ideas...just a thought. c

The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want by Being Present to the Life You Have

Here is a link that might be useful: The book of Awakening

Comments (21)

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

I'm game. Just ordered a copy. Thanks for posting the link. I don't have an electronic reading device, despite my family's efforts to drag me kicking and screaming into the current century with regard to e-readers. Sorry, but I do like the feel of a book in my hands, so I don't have any plans for an e-reader. They appealed to the instant gratification gene which I hate to admit that I do carry. However, I'll just have to wait until Tuesday when our UPS lady arrives with the actual book.

However, I have a feeling this book may be coming at a time in my life when I need it. From the preview, I am hoping it will give me some perspective about a few things. Primarily DD is having a surgery next week, and I am having a bit of anxiety about it and still can't get my head in the right place. Working on that. The Book of Awakening does look like a helpful life resource, since Amazon has the feature of previewing pages before purchase.

Thanks for sharing the link trailrunner.

• bestyears
    12 years ago

Thanks trailrunner -I'm going to go look it up. A checked a similar book out of the library recently, but it fell kind of flat early on and I didn't continue.

I hope this one is different -in the right frame of mind for a book like this right now....

• Related Discussions

Master Bedroom - Cameo White, Celery or Shagreen? Pics Included!

Q

Comments (21)
    Wow! You guys are awesome. I am going to go with the Cameo White. And for everyone who loved the bedding, it's onsale right now at Pottery Barn! It's called Sydney. les917 - our furniture is all hand-me-down right now, and will remain that way until we get our budget in check. We have a walnut-colored headboard, plain and simple. Nothing exciting. We're going to reduce the number of furniture pieces in our bedroom, since we finally have a closet big enough to fit our clothes into! The flooring will be carpet...a freize that is beig-y and has darker flecks in it. Thanks again for everyone's input!
    ...See More

Site of the Day June 22

Q

Comments (2)
    I think that is really cool! I might just have to do this.
    ...See More

Site of the Day Aug 5

Q

Comments (1)
    ......................DOWN....................
    ...See More

1st Annual RP Potluck DInner

Q

Comments (150)
    Well, since I extended the original invite, I guess you're all coming over to my place. I'll supply the champagne and coffee and tea- I'm suggesting you bring your most decadant, gooey, fulfilling dessert-recipes please if it is one you make yourself, or a description if it is from your favorite dining emporium. Mucho calories required! Book-Something that touched your heart. Something that lingered after you closed the covers. A title that you remember with either secret-smile fondness or regret for something that ended before you were ready...like your first love. It needn't be a love story-just something that touched your softer emotions in some way. I'll expect you on February 14th! (but you can start shopping for your party togs now!) Cece
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am glad that you guys think it might be worth it. I have just read a few excerpts and was very moved. It spoke to a lot of things that I have been struggling with and has some good perspective.

I ordered my own copy also since I will have to return this one on Wed. when I go to my meditation group. I got super saver free shipping as DH wanted a book also. So let's revisit this when the UPS arrives. :)

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

Thanks trailrunner--it's going under tree the as a "To: Ann From: Santa" gift to myself :). I have been going through much of what's been discussed over on the other side in your conversation and the spin-off, about middle age and its life changes.

As soon as I popped over to read the linked description, I had an ah-ha moment. I am going to use the book as a prompt to take a daily meditation/contemplation break. It looks perfect to trigger some positive and helpful thoughts.

Appreciate you sharing this!
    Ann

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ann...glad you feel it will be helpful too. I hoped that it would be appropriate to suggest it...you never know :) So perhaps we can read and discuss points of interest or things that seem perplexing etc. We can keep in touch with this as we feel moved to do so. c

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Ooh, thanks! I had been looking for a meaningful book to give to a particular friend for Christmas, so I ordered one for her and one for me too!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sueb..that is great. I remember my Mom read "The Upper Room" every single day. She got a lot of comfort from a daily devotional.

I think in my own way I was searching for something kind of along that line but not so religious...IYKWIM.

I look forward to our sharing of ideas. c

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

I need this too. I want my mornings back. My old mornings when I would sip my coffee and watch the birds. And think.

I want to break my habit of turning on the news and checking my email first thing in the a.m. It's not a gentle way to start my day.

I have the book coming from a neighboring library and should have it within the week. I am looking forward to my first 'book club' of sorts with my gw friends.

Thanks c!

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Our library has one copy and it is out at the moment. I may reserve it and see if it "resonates" with me, and then join the discussion. Life sure has been challenging lately and it would be wonderful to have a place to discuss these thoughts. I don't like wearing out my friends with my worries, although they have been good listeners.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

deedee and dedtired...I am glad that you both are going to see about the book too. I agree dee...that is why DH and I do our meditation in the AM. We have cleared the furniture out of the upstairs great room area and turned it into a meditation room. I sold the sofa and chair this past weekend to a friend ! It is so peaceful up there...like being in a tree house with the windows and view. Much less harsh than listening to NPR first thing and hearing all the world strife. I practice tonglen in the AM and hope that I am contributing to some peace for others.

ded...we will never be worn out :)...I really think that many of us have been coming together for each other in an amazing way on this forum. I do hope the book speaks to you. c

Here is a link that might be useful: practice of tonglen

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

Thank you, TR!

I saw this line there, quoted:
    "We could never have guessed, we were already blessed, where we are . . ."

YES! I don't watch the news (intentionally) but the other day saw several bits of tragic news headlines on Yahoo-- really awful that make me question humanity. All I could think of is how I really live in Heaven. When I think about what goes on in the world, well, I have no "real" problems. It would be better to have a book like this remind me than those news headlines I can't seem to escape.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am glad that you saw that line and it meant something to you. There is a children's story that we used to read to our kids. A little boy complains about his troubles, a wizard tells him to load them up and bring them along and he can trade them. They arrive at a room that is full of bulging horrible bags..the boy tosses his in...then he wades in to find a "bag of troubles" that suits him more. Of course you know what bag he goes home with...our troubles seem so bad till we get up close and personal with someone else's .

I hope that you will get the book and join the discussion when it arrives. In between having that sweet new baby girl , that is . c

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Isn't that true, c (and anele). What you write even makes me hark back to the movie "Pollyanna", which I now realize as an adult has some really deep, helpful perspectives in it. Which isn't to say that we shouldn't be on the lookout for small problems that may develop into worse ones if we don't change, but that counting our blessings is never a hackneyed, goody-goody exercise--rather, a statement of centeredness, presence, and understanding where we fit in the larger scheme of things.

The issues with DD are exemplary of that whole dynamic. I do count my blessings and see the positives in her development, but I also am watchful for signs that things might be going awry. Don't want to get this too off topic, so I'll just end by saying I'm going to look into finding that book. My greatest wish would be that DD would read it too, but I don't know if that will happen. Thanks, trail : )

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

you are welcome fly. Something else that I was reading in a Pema Chodron book yesterday.

" By drawing a circle around yourself you are standing in the middle of it, you realize you are always the center of the universe. The circle that surrounds you shows that you're always in the sacred space. The space is filled with gentleness. We allow ourselves to experience how large and fluid and full of color and energy our world is. This space is our circle. Basically everywhere you are is the center of the world. You're always standing in the middle of the circle. Whatever comes into the space is there to teach you. "

pretty powerful stuff. c

• anele_gw
    12 years ago

TR, is there any chance you remember the title of the children's book? I love having those books around . . .not only do the kids benefit from them, but so do I! Sometimes it's the short stories that have the most impact on me.

flyleft, I agree so much with the Pollyanna attitude. My husband has complained that I complain too much-- I thought a lot about it, and what I found was that my complaints are almost always rooted in worry and fear.

This is a dramatic shift for me . . .I thought that not complaining meant just stuffing your emotions away and putting on a smile no matter what. Now I see that isn't the case at all . . .it isn't just looking on the bright side and ignoring the bad, it's about seeing things clearly-- identifying exactly what the core of the problem is, figuring out if there is a way to be proactive (sometimes it's just a matter of acceptance and not change), AND putting it into perspective.

FL, if your DD reads it, let us know what she says. I have to re-read the Four Agreements to make sure it's OK, but I think I am going to encourage my DD to read it . . .I've been referencing it lately with her.

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anele...I will link to it...but...whew the cost now is crazy ! We have a paperback copy that we got in England in 1988. So either get a library copy which you should be able to do or let me know and I will photocopy this one and send it on to you.

Jenna and the Troublemaker. Hiawyn Oram/Tony Ross.

You have a wonderful grasp of what is being said. The idea of us "changing" is rejected by Pema. She says we are everything good and bad and that to try and reject part of ourselves is self -aggression. So instead she posits that we should embrace everything about ourselves and study it from all angles and see how it fits into who we are. I believe that in the studying ourselves from all angles we can be enlightened enough about ourselves that the perceived rough edges get softer as we learn to accept rather than change. You are so far ahead of me in your understanding...I am working on it :)

Let me know about the book.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jenna and the Troublemaker

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Did your book come ? I have been reading the daily thoughts and attempting to think of them as I meditate. His wording is not something I can "wrap myself around" on some of the days. What are you thinking , so far, if you have gotten your book ? c

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

I'm going to try to get out of work early enough tonight to pick up the copy on hold for me at the library.
    I have paused in the mornings and sat by the window and look at nature twice last week...baby steps!

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

Trailrunner, mine came but I'm 'gifting' it to myself for Christmas, and going to start trying to read daily on January 1st. I peeked inside and to be honest on (very) quick first glance the readings are not of a style I generally seek or think about.

BUT!

This is excellent, because it means I will have to stretch my brain. And that is definitely something I want to do for 2012. So, I"m looking forward to starting--or trying to start--a new habit that will hopefully help move my mind forward.

Ann

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I wanted to thank you for the suggestion. DH is struggling with his retirement (now 1 1/2 years) and what to do now, so I ordered it for him from Amazon. It came yesterday; I hope he enjoys it. (Of course, I get to read it, too!)
    Dee

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK we will "meet " again on Jan 1....no peeking :) c