SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Have you ever felt a place was 'frozen in time'?

IdaClaire
13 years ago

Well, not an historical site or anything like that -- but a place where you once spent time as a child, and remember from childhood ... and then you see it again as an adult, and nothing has really changed?

I saw some photos on a friend's Facebook page that were taken at her mother's house on Thanksgiving and was just blown away by how little the place has changed since the late 60s/early 70s when I used to regularly have sleepovers with my friend there. My friend's mother is now a widow and lost her son in the 1980s, but has kept her home virtually the same for about 30 years. It's a little ranch-style house that was built in the 1950s and still has the same wood paneling on the walls, the same kitchen cabinets (although they're painted white now), some of the same furniture and decor on the walls.

The portrait of my friend's teenage sister, who passed away right about the time I met my friend, was still in its place of prominence in the formal living room. That photo used to freak me out as a child who had never experienced the loss of a loved one. I can remember not wanting to be in the living room alone with that portrait. Seeing it still hanging in its place now, of course, I realize that it's probably the best rendering the family had of the young woman, and it's helped them to keep her memory alive for all these years.

After seeing those Facebook pictures, I've been thinking a lot about that period of my life when I spent so much time with my friend, and remembering a lot of things. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced something similar? They say "you can't go home again" - but sometimes something will happen that does enable you to revisit your childhood in a very powerful way.

Comments (8)