SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
island_girl_2

What type of counter would you recommend?

island_girl_2
12 years ago

I'm in the very beginning stages of a remodel (i.e. overwhelmed with all the choices!) and want to at least nail down some general items so I can plan my budget a bit more. I'm curious what you would recommend as a countertop material for our family?

Craftsman/farmhouse style home - built in 2000. Our style is very casual leaning on a bit of rustic but not country. I do not like modern or shiny at all. Looking at magazines I'm always drawn more to the cottage look. My kitchen has Kraftmaid buttercream cabinets which we will not be replacing except one one wall. Floors are a honey/red oak and will not be replaced either.

We have young children and want something that will survive their youth. I've had in the past:

Laminate - do not want this

Tile - Do not want this

Silestone - liked this as a surface but didn't like the "specked" look

Granite - put this in our last home - didn't like the shine on it - maybe it was what we chose - we had what I thought was black but was the green tinted one (can't remember the name but standard big box choice). It looked nice right when it was cleaned but showed every fingerprint/smudge and drove me nuts! Is there granite that isn't shiny?

Budget - I'm pretty open right now - I want to pick the right materials and if that means saving another 6 mo to get what we need then we will do that.

Curious to know what material you would recommend? I love the look of the soapstone but am concerned about the soft material - it's very possible that we would be the type to cut right on the surface ;)

Comments (14)