SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

Anyone caught in the bad weather back East?

golddust
14 years ago

I've been listening to the news and seeing pictures of all the snow, hearing about airports shut down or running late.

Anyone here affected? Hoping everyone stays safe!

Comments (37)

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Well, saw that South Jersey was gonna get hit; so it was no surprise when I woke up. Snow is to my knees in spots; I'm 5'8". I was expecting my son to stay home this morning but he wasn't able to; DirecTV had a meeting yesterday about the snow and said business as usual.

I rearranged the garage; shoveled some; could only do so much at a time with my bad back. I got the worst of it. Hope to pull my son's car in at some point so the drifts won't be as bad.

Hubby is weak; won't be able to help. Of course no one is walking around shoveling. Gonna rest & have my coffee; shower & clean. Son should be home by then, we'll do it together. Hubby isn't happy I'm out there so I have to sneak out. lol

• User
    14 years ago

For once we were spared...good grief that's a lot of snow! Have a snow blower but it's still a pain in the patoot to clear!

• Related Discussions

Anyone know of a weather history east of Reno?

Q

Comments (6)
    Albert, I know that Reno-Sparks' average final frost date is around May 15, but in the outlying areas, in exposed and higher-elevation areas, I'd go with May 30. My working hardy-plant date here in the "banana belt" of older Sparks is April 1, semi-hardies go in starting April 15, and tender plants go in between May 1 and May 30 depending on how brave I feel and how much row cover I have handy for covering things when we get the gazillionth late freeze for the year. Lisa
    ...See More

Oakland/East Bay weather vs. Seattle

Q

Comments (4)
    East Bay? my first winter there, it drizzled 29 days out of january, all 28 days out of february...and they had the first hard frost in recent memory, people were pulling 10 year old orchids off their porches in fear of the 'deep freeze'... I think they even started school late that day, because the busses slid on the frost on the ground. it starts to break up in march, and turns off like someone hit the 'on' button on the sun in april...and summer runs through thanksgiving or so. mornings start of chilly, often foggy, but by 9 AM, start warming up. Temperatures start to drop around 4 PM, and can drop 20 degrees by sunset (a nice change from Joisey, where it gets hot, and stays that way) but while it's drizzling? the camillas are blooming, the rock roses are setting buds, the begonia hedges are rioting, and the grass is fifteen shades of green. the 'dirt' down in the flats is sandy (it reminds me more of constuction-site debris than soil)and gardeners are heavy into composting, mulching, and amending their soil when a new bed is started...but with the help of a soaker hose, irrigation's easy once you get things set up right. the soil in the hills is, I think, hit or miss - it's been 'cultivated' for generations, and most houses have SOME sort of garden going on (or at least they take care of the natives and pretend they're gardening...)
    ...See More

Are You In For Bad Weather?

Q

Comments (37)
    Don't hit me! We felt a bit chilly this morning on Maui. I put on the thin sweat pants I keep here, and a hoodie. Now it's about 80F, but there's a stiff breeze on and off. Can't spot whales due to the chop. I am a little concerned about our house-sitter and Westie. Chicagoland is predicted to get at least 18" near the lake. More concerned about imminent delivery of Baby #2 for DIL in the city. Chicago deals with snow very well, but its side streets and alleys won't get any attention for a long time after the storm. DS is trained as a paramedic and has delivered babies, but I'm sure they'd both prefer a hospital delivery! alisande -- Thinking of your home delivery of your son. Our DGS (nearly 6) would be extremely interested should that happen. He's Mr. Science.
    ...See More

I hate bad weather. Do you?

Q

Comments (18)
    I don't mind it a little interesting, but I prefer that it stays just this side of dangerous. I love to watch lighting. I get disappointed when the storms just miss us... like they did today. We got rain and some wind gusts, but nothing serious. Today I was glad of that, really, because I was out and about. We don't have a basement either. I grew up in Ohio and as a young child was affected by tornadoes three times. I have vivid memories of being carried from our mobile home by a fireman down a hill and under the bridge of train tracks. When we came back, most of the homes on our street of the mobile home park were turned upside down. Ours was the only one standing! I was maybe 5 y/o. Still, it doesn't scare me. The opposite, I take it in stride. We had a friend of DS's spend the night once when the tornado siren went off. In the blink of an eye he was in the back of our coat closet in a ball, while the rest of us were just waiting and watching the news. We didn't even realize it, just looked around wondering where he went. Oh, it was too funny! He was 13! We were laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes! Never let him forget it. It's still funny to think about. He is a big, strong kid, too. Football and baseball player... the kind who's not afraid of anything. LOL!
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    14 years ago

We're in the Boston area, and I think it's supposed to start sometime tonight. Nothing yet!

• awm03
    14 years ago

I'm looking for the first few flakes to start any minute. We're hunkered down with warm blankets, a lovely fire, and a full pantry. It's all so Christmas-y :)

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Think I live in the only part of VA that is not getting blasted (Southeastern). We have had lots of rain & wind today, & are predicted to get rain & snow mixed over night.
    We head 40 miles north to Williamsburg tomorrow for our big family soiree, & I expect to see some snow there, but not tons.
    Lived in Lehigh Valley PA for 14 yrs. & know they are getting hit pretty hard. I paid my snow-shoveling dues there, & 2.5 yrs. in Rochester, NY before that. I don't miss it...not even a little.

• suero
    14 years ago

We've had about 18" so far. Ten this morning took out the snow blower and the snow was 12" deep. We did a second pass at 1:30 and removed another 6". It's still snowing. We'll see if we will do another pass at 4.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Cross your fingers for me --
    My older son is trying to come home from college today (Northeastern PA to Houston through Newark)

• deedee-2008
    14 years ago

As luck would have it, I have to work tomorrow (Sunday). I hope the snow gets out of here quickly, but it hasn't even started here in CT yet. My Subaru is made for this weather, but I don't like driving in the snow because of the other drivers. Some still insist on going 70mph. (Of course, those are the ones I later end up treating after their car wrecks.) I feel bad because my DH has to get up early and help shovel out our driveway, and he doesn't have to go to work. Oh, well. It is winter, after all.

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

Caught? Snared in a bear trap at the bottom of a dungeon.

So we were supposed to fly out of Binghamton to Atlanta with a connecting flight in DC(Dulles) last night(Friday.) They canceled everything in Dulles from the afternoon on. So we rescheduled through a different airline(we only hae 3 to choose from because Binghamton is so tiny) for this morning connecting through Philly. A Binghamton to Philly flight is only 39 minutes in the air. Our Philly flight was still scheduled on time when we boarded in Binghamton. The runway was shut down during our descent and during our second try at a different runway, our connecting flight was canceled.

We rescheduled for the first large jet leaving for Atlanta. We were told that it would have a better chance of leaving than the little express planes. The jet was scheduled for 8:30 tonight. We arrived here in Philly at 8:00 this morning. Having booked a flight, I was feeling pretty good and went shopping. One of the shopgirls told me that regardless of what the airlines were telling us, we had no chance of leaving tonight and that if I didn't book for tomorrow we wouldn't leave Philly til Monday. In a panic I ran back to the gate to check. The airline employee whispered agreement and kept us booked on the 8:30 flight, but also reserved seats for tomorrow at 11:37. Each and every flight to Atlanta was canceled one by one throughout the day.

Just after 5pm our 8:30 flight was officially canceled. We got our boarding passes for tomorrow's flight quickly. There was a mad scramble for rebookings and after 2 minutes it was announced that they had zero confirmed seats available for tomorrow - only standby left. Thank goodness for the early double booking. My boys are holding up okay, but I could imagine it would get a little Lord of the Fliesish if we had to stay til Monday. We're camping out at the airport because all of the rooms at the hotels with airport shuttle service are completely booked and we didn't trust a cabbie in this weather with no car seat available for DS2.

Fingers and toes crossed that the 11:37 leaves this airport tomorrow on time with us on it.

On the plus side, I've reacquainted myself with my knitting needles.

Fa la la la la la la la la

• mcmann
    14 years ago

Well I'm just outside Philly and was surprised to see on the weather report that in addition to the 18-20 inches of snow we also have a chance of a thunderstorm! Boy that would make an awful mess.

• happytobehome
    14 years ago

I'm in Northern Virginia, just outside D.C. and we got between one and two feet of snow. My son planned to drive home from college today, but we had to tell him to wait a day or two.

At least someone had some fun!

• golddust
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Laxsupermom, you win the cake for the most horrific bad weather story. I am sending positive vibes for tomorrow morning. That flight *must* get off the ground safely.

(Last time I was grounded for weather, I had a 6 yo son and an 8 week old puppy in tow at O'hare. I lined the family bathrooms with plastic coated bed pads for potty training. Oy.)

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

Oh, Happy, your doggie is just the cutest thing! And what great looking snow you have there! I d know it's a drag to deal with, but we never get ANY real snow here (Atlanta) so I must confess to some jealousy, haha!

• golddust
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Happy! What kind is that adorable dog, anyway? I drug my DH in to see your pictures and we had a great laugh.

How big is it? Boy, girl? Name? It looks so sweet! I want one like that!

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

happy, adorable pup. He looks like he's having a blast. My sis lives in NoVa also. Her DH works in DC. They were planning on driving down to Atlanta, but will be delaying a few days.

golddust, thanks for the positive thoughts. A puppy and a kid? I'm pretty sure you win the super trooper prize. I couldn't even imagine. Piddle-training puppies need way more supervision than potty-trained kids.

My family is sleeping right now so I'm just watching the Cowboys/Saints game and web-surfing while on bag-guarding duty. We have 2 laptop bags and various other carry-ons to keep an eye on.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Woo Hoo! DS made it out just ahead of the storm! He's home, safe and sound.

• happytobehome
    14 years ago

We're still snowed in -- DH had hip replacement surgery 12 days ago (won't be shoveling this year), and the snowblower broke while I was trying to clean the driveway. Luckily, my lovely neighbor fixed it and then cleared the driveway for me, although it's now covered again! My extended family is arriving for Christmas on Wed., so I'm planning to borrow my neighbor's boys to help me dig out.

Lax - Keeping my fingers crossed for you! If nothing else, you'll have a great story to tell, and in a few years it might actually seem funny.

My dog's name is Fiona and she's a goldendoodle. She had a blast playing yesterday morning, but the snow is too deep for her now. Because of her curly fur, the snow clings to her in little icy balls that are impossible to remove -- I guess she's a "drip dry" dog.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

laxsupermom - if you want to email me from my member page I might have a few ideas for you on where to stay and how to get there. I am about 30 minutes from the airport; when we lived at the old house we were farther. I can give you 2 routes to google map; you might be able to find something.

Happytobehome - wish we owned a snow blower. What stunk is no one was out shoveling yesterday so there was no help. Hubby kept knocking on the window when he busted me outside each time; telling me to stop & how I shouldn't be out there.. etc.

I went out to shovel next to my son's car 4 times. Each time it was up to my knees. The 4th, a kid walked up and started shoveling. Had no clue who he was until I asked how much he wanted. Turns out my "neighbor" (lives a street away) sent her son to help us. I was willing to pay someone to do it; so threw some money in his hands. He worked very hard & deserved it.

It was a good thing he came too because by the time my son got home, his van got stuck; the snow was over his front bumper. I could kill DirecTV for making my son stay out so late in a blizzard. My son said most roads were like "Ice Road Truckers". :( Now, had he slid into something; you can bet they would have parked his van and made him get a pee drug test. He would not be allowed to work until it came back.

It's not looking good out there today. There is a good 18 inches in the driveway; so glad I was able to get my son's car in yesterday. Our bedroom roof has about 3ft of snow if not more.

Just woke my son up.. I'm so thankful he still lives with us or we'd be screwed. I'm using the time to wash floors; then he & I will go outside and get working. At some point we have to address the roof by my window; the roof was leaking there a week ago; hubby's been so bad on the last leg of his cancer treatment that I haven't had time to get the roofer here to fix it. Our days have been long - leave at 9:30 am; get home about 3ish; then have to address his neck/throat/tongue burns.

For those wondering - he missed 2 radiation appointments (Mon & Tues) last week due to the burns; his pain was not being controlled. - tomorrow was supposed to be his last radiation with Wednesday his last chemo (inpatient - discharge Thursday). He now has radiation until Wednesday. I'm not sure if we will be able to get in tomorrow; if not; Thursday will be the last.

• kkay_md
    14 years ago

We are in Bethesda, MD and got 20 inches... {{gwi:1527473}}

• yayagal
    14 years ago

We're south of Boston on the ocean and it's still snowing. We have about 14 inches so far. The wood stove is burning, Andrea Bocelli is singing to me and we just downed some home made pancakes and coffee. I'm not complaining lol.

• golddust
    Original Author
    14 years ago

roselvr, hang in there! You know what they say, just when you think it can't get worse... Leaking roof? Too much snow? Thankfully your son is there. How true.

I am awaiting news about laxsupermom. Hope they got out safely. Beautiful photos of the snow, everyone! Keep them coming!

I love snow, unless we lose electricity, when it gets too much rather quickly. No electricity means no water (well runs by electricity), no heat, etc. I hope none of you lose your lights. Maybe they aren't as vulnerable if you don't live in the Tahoe National Forest, where trees and limbs always take out power lines.

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

Hi all. We were supposed to be mid-flight by now, but our flight has been delayed 3 times and we've changed gates twice. There's a rumor in the waiting area that they can't find a crew to fly our plane. We should be boarding soon if they don't delay us again. Hopefully you won't hear from me again today(that'll mean I made it to Atlanta and am enjoying family time.)

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Good luck LAX!!! Hope your next post is from ATL! This will be one for the books...

We had milk, bread and movies (oh and wine, too) so we were ready for the worst. I was looking forward to being stuck in the house for a day and a fresh layer of clean white snow. All we got was a dusting. :(

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Laxsupermom, I sent you an email; in case you do get delayed. I gave you the name/number of a van service that's reasonable plus 2 zip codes; if you need a hotel; you can look along that route. They are generally cheaper if you use my old zip code; on the route it would be around rt 73 & 38. I don't wanna write too much in case someone else in your shoes googles. lol I saw the news this morning; they had interviews with people stuck at the airport.

Golddust, we used to live in the Lebanon state forest; I know all about no pumps; water or toilets. Where I'm at now; everything is in the ground.

The house isn't even 2 years old yet. The roof by my room leaked during the last big rain we had; right into my garage on the right side.

From my bedroom window after the driveway had already been shoveled once yesterday.

You can see how much snow is by my bedroom window which is on the right. The pile behind the shovel is over 5ft high.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

roselvr- are you by any chance sending laxmom to my house? I'm about 4 miles from 38 & 73. If I see a van pull in my driveway I'll go out and welcome her. LOL

I'll keep my fingers crossed that her flight takes off soon. At least the roads here are all in great shape now.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Mcmann; pretty funny. I didn't know anyone (from the forum) lived over there. I used to live by McGuire. I figured she may get lucky looking in that area since there are a lot of hotels. They would be cheaper then Philly as well.

Well, we're done shoveling. I did our back steps which lead to the basement.. There was at least 3 feet of snow. Wish I would have grabbed the yard stick but I was too tired after shoveling a 3 lane driveway - fits 6 cars

My poor son had to work. I can't believe they made him go out 1) on his day off and 2) in this weather. The main road he was driving on was a sheet of ice. Turns out the customer didn't answer their phone; and when he got there, no one was home. I hope they didn't expect him to mount a dish on a roof.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

McMann and Roselvr, I used to live in Cinnaminson! Routes 38 and 73....I put my family up in the Courtyard for my wedding. :-D

• golddust
    Original Author
    14 years ago

roselvr, your house looks huge! It's in a nice development. Hope LAX is on her way. No news is good news. Loving all the photos! Stay warm and have a glass of wine or some Baileys and enjoy that wonderful quiet snow brings.

Singing, Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow... (Easy for me to say...)

• mcmann
    14 years ago

Amy- that is funny- I'm in Moorestown. I just clicked on your home page and see that you're a color consultant. I wish you hadn't left town- I can't select a color for love or money. The poor fellows at SW on route 130 hide when they see me come in the store for paint.

roselvr- you win- 3 feet of snow is a lot! we only had 2'

• User
    14 years ago

Only 6" here. I was inside wrapping and baking all weekend so it worked out well!

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

roselovr, thanks for the offer. Your house is gorgeous!

We did finally make it to ATL. My checked bag didn't make it, but we got in last night and were so excited, I didn't open up the laptop all night. Each time our flight was delayed I let out a little "yay" because delayed is better than canceled and lots of flights came up canceled. The grounds crew did a fantastic job of clearing away the snow, but the airlines were having trouble getting pilots and crews to fly all the flights. We were in the air at 6:15 and my mom was feeding us before 9.

Our kids were real troopers and handled it like a big adventure. I just feel terrible, though, for all the soldiers I saw stuck in the airport. They get such very little leave and had to waste so much of it stuck in an airport. There were many not getting out of there til Monday. I'd like to think that if I wasn't traveling with kids, I'd have given up my seat for a soldier to get home.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts, everyone. It really helped a lot.

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

My prayers are with you all . . . and especially with those people still stuck at airports trying to get someplace for the holidays. Thankfully, my soldier son made it home safely to us with no airline delays, so I've received my biggest and best Christmas gift, our son home for Christmas.
    Merry Christmas to all of you!
    Lynn

• mcmann
    14 years ago

Lynn, that's just wonderful that your son made it home for the holidays. Please give him an extra tight hug for all of us who appreciate his service. I just get all teary eyed when I think of our young men and women serving all of us.

Please thank him.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Glad everyone is finding themselves and their loved ones where they belong!

McMann...is it Sipersteins? I love those guys! :-)

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

DH has been at work off and on since fall on an O'Hare project. They got shut down yesterday due to snow, today due to ice. Not sure what it's doing to flights, probably delaying them.

Don't mind the snow (I love a white Christmas, it's just not Christmas without snow). But can do without the ice. One of the dogs wanted out about 4:30 this morning and I wasn't paying attention and almost hit the ground, driveway is covered in about an inch of it.

Hope everyone safely gets where they want to be for the holidays!

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Well, the storm continues to give me a headache.. The postman left a card in the mailbox about how it's supposed to be dug out; which I know from our old house. The mailbox is usually the 1st thing we do; but this year we were so snowed in that a neighbor did it with a quad that had a plow on it.

I asked if ours needed more; he said no. Ours was pretty decent compared to some; but not as good as we normally would have done. After the kids left on Christmas I went out to shovel the sidewalks, fire hydrant, sewer & remove the thick ice by the mailbox. It was perfect weather for it, was a light drizzle. Snow was easy to move.

By the night, it started raining so I went out there for nothing.

12/26 the garage roof started leaking again. Yesterday I went down the basement to find 2 leaks. Thankfully just wet; not flooded.

The sump pump has been running nonstop. The ground is so wet from the snow & rain; hopefully we won't get more of either.

• suero
    14 years ago

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!