SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Me again on counters, sigh

sochi
14 years ago

Happy New Year everyone. I posted back in October on possibilities for counters in my new modern/warm/walnut kitchen (see the link below for that thread).

I fell in love with a white marble with brown and blue linear striations called Cipollino. I finally found a fabricator with experience with Cipollino, they did a bathroom with it recently. She wouldn't recommend Cipollino for a kitchen because it scratches very easily, anything at all seemed to scratch it, making it far more challenging than other marbles like Calacatta for instance. So I think I have to sadly move on to other choices.

I have always liked Luce di Luna Quartzite. It is the same price as the Cipollino and it is lovely and modern looking. But, unlike the essentially white Cipollino, the Quartzite is gray. It would still read as a light counter next to walnut cabinets, but I really wanted white. I'm not sure how well gray goes with walnut, although there are some brown striations within the Quartzite. Quartzite holds up well in kitchens, perhaps not quite as well as granite, but far better than marble. I like it, but I hesitate due to the colour.

Then there is the fall back option: a white quartz counter. There are many, many pictures out there of the walnut kitchen with a white(ish) quartz counter. I love the look, but compared to the marble and quartzite, they don't exactly get your heart pumping faster.

The kicker: the quartz (I would probably do either Organic White from Caesarstone or similar white from Cambria) is $2k less than the Quartzite. Given that I have some reservations about the Quartzite, I'm not sure I can justify spending $2,000 more for it over the quartz.

Any opinions, thoughts etc. would be most appreciated. I should have picked something last week, so we are in a bit of a crunch. Our kitchen will be ready for counters around the first of February.

Here is a link that might be useful: October thread

Comments (21)