SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Do You Have One and Do You Use It?

How many of you have a soup tureen and do you use it? I now only have one. Not long ago I gave both of my older daughter's very pretty soup tureens that had been their Grandmas. I had given one to my Mother and the other to my Mother in law and later got them back. Theirs were white background with very pretty applied blue butterflies on them and they each had a matching condiment set and ladle. They were probably 45 years old. Mine is very large and white with a tray underneath that is separate. I have had mine over 50 years. I have not used it in a long time, but I am thinking I should get that out and use it one of these days when the family is over for a meal. Anyone else out there have a soup tureen and do you use it?

Sue

Comments (14)

• User
    13 years ago

No I don't have one and can't see the point of one, for my household. When I make a big pot of soup, I just put the pot on the table, rather than dirty a second one. We don't dine. We chow down. LOL Okay, that didn't sound right, but.... I don't have a dining room, and we never eat fancy schmancy meals so for *us*, I don't have one.

• patti43
    13 years ago

I had three at one time, but sold them in yard sales since I didn't use them. Truth be told, we fill our plates in the kitchen before we eat and don't bother dirtying extra dishes.

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

I have two. If I use them, it's generally for a big party and I usually use them for something like potato salad,

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

I'm like Patti.
    We serve ourselves out of the pots on the stove, no matter what it is. I seldom set the table with bowls of food, for just the 2 of us.

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

Sold mine in a garage sale

Never used it

• marie_ndcal
    13 years ago

Just one more big dish to wash and store. I usually put the soup directly into the soup dishes.

• hounds_x_two
    13 years ago

I have two, and use them, but not for their intended purpose. I don't think I have ever put soup in either one of them. One is presently in the center of my kitchen table. The other one, a Blue Willow that I got at an antique auction, is stored away right now. I occasionally use it on my sideboard...again as an accessory...when I get out my other blue willow, blue and/or white "things"

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

They seem much too big for the food that I normally prepare, even for family gatherings. I do like to look at them in stores, some are so pretty. I would probably drop the lid onto the bowl and break it.

• marylmi
    13 years ago

marilyn_sue... my neighbor had a very pretty one that belonged to her MIL. She never used it, then someone suggested to her she should take it to a florist and have an arrangement made for it. She did, pulling the colors from the tureen, and she now puts it on display on her sideboard. It is just beautiful there & such a great idea! Of course it could still get broken, but chances are not as great as actually using it. (ask me how I know that!lol)

• hounds_x_two
    13 years ago

Forgot to mention that I also use mine as a container for fresh flowers...makes a wonderful centerpiece!

• alisande
    13 years ago

I have a nice white ironstone one that I haven't used in 30 years. In fact, I had to go looking for it because I'd forgotten where it was. Turns out I look at it every day (it's behind glass in an antique cupboard in the living room) but don't "see" it. :-)

• nanny98
    13 years ago

I have a antique pink transferware tureen that is still packed away.I used to use it, but downsizing left little room for those items to be displayed. I use some smaller ones (not antique) for just covered bowls for company and for DH and I that we can microwave and serve at the counter. I can't wash or dust those many precious things that I still value but have put away. (Sadly, I do miss seeing them) Nanny

• angelaid
    13 years ago

I'm 50 and don't even know what a soup tureen is. Had to google it! LOL
    So, no, don't have one.

• lindyluwho
    13 years ago

I've always wanted one but I really don't know why. I don't have any place to put it and I wouldn't use it. I guess I just like how they look.

Linda