SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midge777

water heater drafting question?

midge777
9 years ago

Hi. I could really use some help with this issue because I've spent a fortune trying to get it diagnosed and fixed, to no avail. After a home energy audit (in warm weather), i was told that one of my hot water heaters showed spillage and was not drafting properly. This is a three-family house with three boilers and three hot water heaters drafting into the same chimney, which is in the center of the house. Only one of the water heaters (which is about seven years old) failed; everything else was fine.

The plumber who first looked at it said that he thought it failed just because weather was warm and the chimney was cold. He ran the hot water for four or five minutes and it drafted fine. However when the energy audit company came back, they said in order to pass the test, proper drafting AND carbon monoxide within their limit must be passed in one minute. That is their guideline and they can't forego their guideline because they will be tightening up the house, etc.

They also showed me that when they held a flame near the draft hood, one side of it drafted fine and the other side did not - it was as if the flame was being pushed back at that side of the draft hood instead of being sucked in.

We really need to resolve this quickly. The house is located in MA, and it's getting cold and there is ZERO insulation in the attic - they won't let us insulate until we pass their test. (The vermiculite insulation was removed and we are going through this company to replace it because there are great incentives.)

Other relevant facts:
- The energy assessment company does not do the work of replacing hot water heaters, so I don't think they stand to gain financially
- The chimney is lined starting at about five feet up
- I had a chimney sweep check to make sure there are no obstructions - there were none- and i had him clean the chimney in case that would help
- the two hot water heaters furthest from the chimney share a four-inch vent pipe going at an upward slope toward the chimney. Slope has already been adjusted to be higher, to make sure that's not the problem
- It's a 100-year-old balloon-frame house
- the second plumber, who came and adjusted the slope of the pipe tested and the C02 is still a bit high and there still appears to be spillage on one side, under the draft hood.

I'm wondering if there is a known problem with water heaters (something with the baffle at the top?) where this could be addressed/fixed. Or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was told my other choice would be to replace the water heater. If this ends up being necessary, I could vent to an outside wall but I think this location is about 7 feet from the outside wall and would go above a window. I'm not sure that is allowed....

What would be the best solution here? If I do end up needing a hot water heater (I hope not), I need to do what's least expensive because this property is new to me, and I also don't live there and i don't stand to gain financially by energy paybacks over time. Though believe me, I have done plenty of things to ensure that the tenants spend as little on energy as possible!

Very grateful for any help with this.
- Midge

Comments (2)