SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecurious1_gw

Which comes first??? HVAC changes-This is Long....

thecurious1
13 years ago

Hi All-

We own a 1.5 story 1800 sq ft. brick bungalow just outside of chicago. It has the original windows. We are looking at making some major changes to our household hvac system. All contractors have agreed that they can utilize our existing air conditioning unit. The changes proposed include replacing our 80% furnace with a 95% high efficiency furnace and replaceing our 45 gallon gas water heater with a tankless water heater. One of the reasons we are looking at these changes is to maximiize the energy credits before the end of the year.

I have some questions for anyone who has done some of these upgrades.

1. how should the contractors be ordered? Should the furnace be installed before the water hearter or vice versa? Should the plumbers come in first or the electricians?

2. I assumed that the tankless system would be placed next to the existing furnace, because the existing water heater is gas. The existing 220 line which is currtently used for the dryer is on the opposite side of the basement. Does it make more sense to run new electric or run new water lines? For those who have a tankless system, which unit did you buy and why?

3. One of the estimates for the new furnace system we got included a single stage furnace with a zoned remote thermostat package for the 2nd floor. There was no ductwork proposed, simply a retrofit of the existing ducts. The remote package is not cheap, but I like the idea that we could better control the heat/cooling on the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor is often 15 degrees warmer for most of the summer. Much of our every day living space is there. Has anyone had experience with these systems? Do you feel that they are worth the money? Did you find them difficult to configure?

4. Is a housefan a more cost effective alternative to a zoned system? I have done some research much on online on comparing this to a zoned system and camt seem to find a lot.

5. One estimate proposed an 80k btu, another 100k btu furnace. What should we consider when evaluating this difference?

Thanks for any conversation on this topic. We could use the help.

Comments (4)