SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinstripe_gw

Will a new heat pump really make my house warmer?

pinstripe
12 years ago

Hi there, hope you can help me. I live in Virginia, which gets hot humid summers and a bit of snow in the winter, and my house is all-electric. My 2.5 ton Carrier heat pump is 15 years old but still running; I'm told [by the HVAC sales guy] that it's about 8 SEER and 800 CFM. It delivers great service (heating and cooling) to the first and second floors of my 3-level 2300 sq ft townhouse when the damper is closed. My finished walkout basement is still comfortable in the summer with this arrangement, but gets really cold in the winter; when the damper is open, however, the second floor can get uncomfortable (both summer and winter). Given the system's age, I'm looking for a replacement that will heat the basement better.

HVAC Salesguy says that a new 2.5 ton, 15 SEER variable speed heat pump will heat my whole house (including basement) with the damper open, because it is 1400 CFM -- i.e., moving more air more constantly. Does this sound right? Can I expect to see significantly better performance (relative to my existing system) simply by improving the CFM?

Many thanks!

Comments (16)