SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsl12

Modulating vs. two-stage gas furnace for house with small ducts

bsl12
14 years ago

I am putting in a high efficiency gas furnace (cold winters here in Canada) but my present electric furnace has ducts that may not handle the air flow at the higher level of a furnace that has a two-stage gas valve. If I buy a furnace with a fully modulating gas valve, the furnace will spend little time at the equivalent of the high stage of the two-stage furnace. I am told that at the high stage of a two-stage gas valve (which will kick in only when it is very cold out - -25oC), because the ducts are low volume, the gas burner will not operate due to the back pressure being too high. I am also told that with a fully modulating furnace, the gas valve, which increases the gas flow in 1% increments, even in very cold weather, will likely never reach the level of the second stage of a two-stage gas valve and therefore is more likely to be able to operate at cold temperatures in spite of the small volume of the ducts. Does anyone know if this is likely to be the case. The modulating gas valve furnace is $1200 more than the two-stage furnace. Having the ducts changed to higher volume would cost around $2500 and I would like to avoid this cost if at all possible. I am thinking that it is worth trying out the fully modulating gas valve furnace.

Comments (2)