SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Single Stage v. Two-Stage Furnace for Mild Climates?

artemis78
13 years ago

We're in the market for a new furnace, and I'm trying to get my head around single stage vs. two-stage furnaces and which would be a better fit for our house. Either would be 95% efficient.

I understand the functional difference, and definitely see how two-stage would be hugely helpful where temperatures fluctuate and you want the furnace on a lower setting in, say, the fall than in the dead of winter.

However, where we live, the coldest it really gets is 40 degrees. We don't use the heat until it hits 65 (and turn it off in the summer, at night, and during the work day all together). So we basically have a window of 40-65 degrees where we need to heat our home on weekends, early mornings, and afternoons/early evenings. We have a small (1200 sf) house with a very compact floor plan---five vents all together. Our current furnace is oversized for the house, and we do have issues with it turning on and off frequently, particularly when the weather hovers in the low 60s. If a two-stage would fix this but a single stage wouldn't, that could be beneficial---but I'm also thinking we may fix some of this by simply choosing an appropriately sized furnace in the first place.

So my question for anyone familiar with high-efficiency furnaces is how much a house in our scenario would really benefit from a two-stage furnace. Is it worth the cost difference, or would a house like ours be served pretty comparably by either? Thanks!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone