SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plants4

the perfect matte black countertop -- soapstone, paperstone...

plants4
16 years ago

This forum is invaluable and I hate to start another discussion threat on soapstone -- having looked at so many including the dedicated soapstone archive -- but here are my questions. (I stole the phrase 'perfect matte black countertop' from a very old post but doesn't it sum up the question perfectly?!)

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, I want a matte black countertop, I don't mind about 'patina' but I want something that wears well, and I want something that's not hard on the environment.

I can't figure out whether there is a very dark (black) soapstone (with or without veins) that is mined in the United States. And is available in Oregon/Washington/Northern California.

I am worried about using the black Paperstone because, although you can buff it, I'm not sure that its 'patina' will not just look like a worn out mess. I like that it has the same soft and warm look as soapstone.

But I'm also concerned that *if* there were a US blackish soapstone that it would turn out to be one of the softer soapstones (just to make my life harder). For example, a website that I just came across that has really good soapstone photographs (and says what stone was used) -- soapstonewest.com -- says they focus on the hard stuff and they get it all from Brazil.

I await lots of wisdom from you who have come before me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone West

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21