SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Home Security Systems?

suzieque
13 years ago

Hi all -

I want to have a security system in my home. Do you have recommendations on how to proceed, what to look for, etc.? I know very little about them other than that often the system itself is free or low-cost, and the company makes their money from the monthly cost. Here are some particulars.

I have pets. So, I can't have a system that sets off an alarm simply upon detecting movement. Some of my pets are cats and they go up and down stairs, into windows, etc.

I'd like a system that calls directly to the police and also to me (police is highest priority). Now here's another (probably stupid) thing: I typically leave my windows opened (up, with the screen in place) all the time in the good weather. Yes, I know that that's a potential invitation to thieves. I live in a good area and am not overly concerned (breakins are rare), nor does my home give off any indication that there's anything of much value in it, but of course I know that thieves can strike anywhere and any time. So, if it's possible to still leave my windows open but have an alarm if someone messes with the screens, that'd be good (but if I have to close my windows I will).

I'm just starting to look and thought that, as part of my research, I'd ask here for your knowledge and experience.

Thanks -

Suzieque

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida